Trackchaser's Review of San Antonio Speedway

debwill

I know a lot of you are probably missing San Antonio Speedway, just as I am. I got an e-mail today from a guy named Randy Lewis. He is the world's #1 Trackchaser, earning his title from visiting race tracks all over the world. San Antonio Speedway was Visit #1906 on his list of tracks. Click on the link below for a review of his visit, along with a video, photos, etc., from the Friday night race that was held last September. To view his video and photos, click on the appropriate tabs under the picture of SAS.

http://randylewis.org/san-antonio-speedway

Something about San Antonio Speedway says she's not done yet. Many of us carry a piece of that place in our hearts. Some carry wounds from encounters with the infamous boiler plate. Some have trophies from Highway 16 Raceway, San Antonio Raceway, San Antonio International Speedway and San Antonio Speedway that have room for another SAS trophy or two in their display case. Some have kids who long to know the joy of dancing with that grand lady.

Indeed, San Antonio Speedway is more of a dance floor than a battlefield. She may lead you any which way through 1 and 2, but you can feel like Fred Astaire once you master 3 and 4. And once you've learned to waltz with her, you want more. Period.

Just don't step on her toes because she'll send your car to the salvage yard in a big hurry....

There has to be someone, somewhere who wants to bring this priceless dance floor back to life.

Call me a dreamer. Call me a fool. Call me with lots and lots of money and let's talk about it.

Nick

one race in tps was just not enough 3 rd place in my first and only race was fine but just that fine .i want more ..besides i would like to get another race on the rear gears i bought for that one race ..... i cant complain after thinking it would never open again .my son won three races there ..and worth every trip .even that cold wet spend the night on the trailer rain out wasnt so bad the heat though was something else but id do it all again....

That track has a mystique, a certain smell as you walk up to the gate, looking over as the wall gets shorter and you look over it to see the pits and see who's there. Walk under the stands, grab a bite and a cold drink and walk up and see the lady, climb the bleachers and turn to see her in all her beauty. The way cars sound there, especially late models. Greatest sound in the world, 20 late models taking the green, roaring down the front straight. I can only speak of the memories I have from the grandstands, think of the great races and racers there. John Kelly, Chris and Greg Davidson, Brandon and Kevin Bendele, Donny Horelka, George Hagy, Pat Lane, Slick Yeomans, so many more. No matter what happens, I have fond memories of that place and hope to make more.

Well said Nick. From my first race as a fan back around 2002, I've always wanted to run a Super Late Model out there. I know we don't have those kind of cars running around here anymore, but that kind of speed on that kind of track seems mindblowing. I'm glad to say I got to run some Pro Sedan races there, but my bucket list still contains that one item about turning laps there in one of those 600hp, built-for-left-turns beasts.

Anyone know what the current mega-millions jackpot is up to?

I feel really fortunate to have been able to attend races there. I got to the 2007 ASA race before it closed, and the grand reopening just a few days before moving to California. Somehow when I think of that place "Paradise Theatre" by Styx comed to mind...As long as she is still standing, there is hope. I knew of some of its history having read about Terry Labonte. and to hear and read some of you talk about it reminds me how I felt about Flemington Fairgrounds and Reading Fairgrounds back home. Those places are unrecognizable now....Reading a mostly deserted shopping mall and Flemington a Home Depot and Walmart. They will never come back. But as long as SAS still stands, there is still hope....no matter how slim.

Archived