ATTENTION LLM DRIVERS & CAR OWNERS

hray

Would it be possible to get everyone (drivers and owners) together for a meeting early next week. We could meet in the evening somewhere on the southside of San Antonio. Topic of discussion would be possible race dates at other tracks.

You can post or PM if you can attend and what evening would be best. If you can't attend you might want to consider sending a representative.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any time is good with me Rusty, Had a good turn out at Bill Millers the last time .

Noticed a couple of other reply's , there is not much wrong with the rules ,just the wieght and carb combo , but that has been in there since I 37 days .. It would be nice to have a sponser for the class but to pay the current pay out shouldn't be a problem for the track as long as we have 10 or more cars .. Do the Math!!.. we all need to get together and commit to racing as much as possible no mater where we race , then everyone will be Happy, Happy Happy, but like the marriage counseler says we can't fix nothin if we don't talk it out .. Let me know when the get together is and i will be there.. Thanks

I'm surprised at the lack of response to this thread.

We have a car count problem in this class. The problem relates directly to the fact that 90% of the cars in this class are not from CC. Owen accomodated that by waiving car entry and other costs for cars coming from long distances. Even with that, we had trouble getting more than 12 cars for any given race. With a few exceptions, car counts were 8 - 12 cars. Because of the limited number of cars, and because the fans like our class, Owen paid full purse for 10 or more cars and below 10 he cut the purse by 1 position. He showed his support for this class by letting as few as 4 cars race before I37 closed. Even with that support there were at least 5 cars that did not race more than 1 time last year because of the travel distance.

Now we are faced with not only the distance issue, but let's just say not as much support. There are at least 3 cars in addition to the 5 that are contemplating a limited schedule (or not racing at all). I understand the desire on the part of the CC cars to keep the races at STS, but I suspect you are going to be back to pre-I37 closing car counts in short order.

Those of us that are not from CC made a huge sacrifice last year to support this class. Our teams pulled 3 hrs each way at a cost of $200 for diesel + food and either $100 for a hotel or not getting home until 3 - 4 am. Now it's time to equalize (as much as possible) the distance issue. We can pick up most of the cars that aren't racing.

I hope we can get a driver/owner meeting to at least air out these issues. PM me if you can come to something on the southside of SA this week. I thought about doing this at the track Sat nite, but there's just too much activity. I really don't want to air this out on this forum either.

Rusty

830 377-6162

First thingis, if you didn't get an OK from Ken to put this on STS thread, it's totally wrong. But if you did, great. If you want to race other tracks on an off week end, figure out available dates, and see who wants to go. You don't need a meeting for that. If it's to race at another track and limit the racing at STS, all that would do is devide the class and eventually kill the class. Gotta remember, STS gave us a home when we didn't have one. I don't have anything against any other track around, I've raced 37, SOS, TRP, STS, and had fun at all of them. My racing this year will probably be limited due to treatments starting again, but just don't want the class to go away. JMO

Richard

I agree with Richard..I'm going to support STS since they gave us a place to race. Yes, Shady Oaks is little closer and I might be able to race there on some of our off nights but I'm sticking with STS as a home track. If you want to race at other tracks that's fine but do it on our off nights and don't try to split the class cause you'll only kill the class. That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!

I dont get to race very often, but I do feel I have a little say in this...I enjoyed racing at I37..enjoy racing at STS and I really like the track at Goliad. So travelling is not a problem for me when I can get off from work. I agree with Taz that if we dont all go as a group then we devide the class and no body wins. Same goes for complaining about rules, aggresive driving etc. We as a class need to be grown ups and discuss it like we are grown ups. The meeting we had at STS was a good meeting for the most part and got some issues ironed out. I think there were some that were confused by it also. I havent been able to race because my car has not been finished, but I also have issues with trying to get off from work on the weekend. I want to be able to race at STS and if we dont rock the boat, our class looks more professional as a whole. If everyone would like to go to SOS for a big race then count me in, but as far as racing at another track because of management issues or anything like that...then No dont count on me. I like STS, It is not my favorite track, but that is not due to the management or how they run the track. I have never tried to run a track and dont pretend to know all the issues with running one. I just want to race when I can and have fun doing it. Lets all race and have fun with it...I think that is why we are out there to begin with.

I give up!

First off, I don't need Ken's permission to post this thread. STS does not own this thread - it's public and policed by LSSZ and I'm not bashing the track or Ken or anyone else for that matter.

Second, most the LLM drivers from this area (north of SA) gave up long ago because of the cost to pull to CC. A few of us, at great expense, made the trip each race and supported STS all last year. At least 1 of them is parking their car for now. Wait until the 1st time less than 8 cars show up and our class is cancelled for that nite. See how many from this area continue to show up.

Third, I haven't suggested anything so far that would kill the class. What I was trying to do was make sure those that have been racing will continue and the ones that aren't will come back. But since the majority don't want to hear-----------I give up!

Last, I'm coping with the cut purses (even tho we had 16 cars at the 1st race and 11 at the 2nd-Easter weekend) but I make this promise - the 1st time fewer than 8 cars show up and our race is cancelled for that nite, I'll convert the cars to street stocks and race closer to home. That will be 3 more cars no longer supporting this class.

We are racing at sts the entire season...by the rules that have been inplace for the longest... So Rusty, we will be at sts each night... If we need to have a meeting about commitment then there is a bigger issue....however... we will go.... But rt now sts is our home regardless... I know there is concern about car counts...the rule crap is the biggest reason why.... ... The payout issue was resolved and ken gave the correct payouts for the first night at the window... i got mine.. 10 cars is a full field... I do agree that the first night we only have 8...and they park us..... I am parking our car...short of mechanical issues last year, we were at the races...we are there each week this entire season....we will be at the shootouts at the end of the season at goliad and sts....Not to come off wrong Rusty but we had 15 cars last weekend, 15 the first weekend.. I may be missing something. I fear because we are talking about this and still have others complaining about the rules that we will kill it ourselves... and that will be our fault not the tracks.....either that or we do some leg work our selves and go looking for class sponsors.....I know its a very long pull for most of us...but its what we got to do if we want to race....for me..this year is not about payout..its about points....10 cars..15 cars... I want to do our part and support each week and be there for points at the end of the season... thats just me.....i say this with a smile....

Never said you needed permission. It's called courtesy. Thread does say" South Texas Speedway." Man just Bought the track, trying to make things work, and somebody trying to take cars from a class. Last time I checked, my car has my name on it. I own it, work on it, drive it, and pour a ton of money in it. That being said, I'll race it where I want, and right now, that's STS.

Just alittle two bits not my battle but might be helpful. You cant discuss and make changes on the fly regarding 2014 once the season has started. This is business that needed to have started back in October of last year to get everyone on the same page with ideas that benefit the racers but mostly benefits the track. Benefits for the track has to be #1 priority not the drivers. If you truely want to run other tracks then you cant have a home track that has you on the schedule every race they open the doors. You simply dont have the car count. Once you build up the car counts that will present issues as well. More cars, more crashes, more money going out to keep cars on the track. That seems to be the biggest issue with this class. Not all the drivers can afford a big expense without parking their cars most of the season. Seems to me on the outside looking in you can have it one way or the other but not both. STS stepped in a saved a place for the LLM cars to race and still are. You may not look at it being disrespectful but in a sence it is when you at the last second start considering other tracks this year without stategically talking to them. I can bet STS would not have an issue giving up some race dates so you can travel providing when you return you have more cars. They are obviously not making money by running LLM's most likly are not losing any either but staying status quo will only end up hurting everyone in the end. Please understand I am only giving you my opinion but if you go including other tracks this year and have a full schedule at STS you have just killed this class by mid year with even lower car counts. Expenses will rack up and so will damaged cars that will be parked for repairs or money to come in for repairs. Nobody wants to see 6 - 8 cars racing no matter what the class is. I think you guys had a decent year last year with some cars returning to action and having a week off consistantly had to help as well. Any way nobody has a blue print how to make it work but numbers are numbers when it boils down to it like it or not the numbers are not there to support a full season and traveling. Wish all you guys the luck.

As a CC resident and fan of STS, I thank you guys for coming down every week and I know it's not cheap and time consuming. I wish I had the money to make it worth it for y'all or a company that could sponsor your class. Hope it works out for all of y'all wherever you run.

DREW,

The payout was not resolved, the first two nights where short buy one position. Also Ken told Ron Sprauge and myself that we are going to have closer to 14 cars to get full payout, this was told to us easter week end.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID THE ONLY THING ME AND MY CREW ARE WORRIED ABOUT IS A PLACE TO RACE. SO WE WILL STAY WITH STS ALL SEASON LONG.

Got to remember that the llm class was at sts before i37 shutdown , i know 15 cars in the cc area , for those who travel , if u dont like it u dont have to come to keep class alive!!

BE GLAD WE HAVE A TRACK TO TAKE US!!

THANKS KEN AND EVERONE AT STS!!

I am just a fan and my comment is fan based.I am thankful the LLM's make the pull to STS.Thank you to all that do.The way I see it when I-37 closed the LLM's had no where close to race until STS(Owen) stepped in.Now I agree a full purse should be paid for 10 cars and up.Now if CBS or SOS picks up the class cool.Whatever makes it better for the racers.The way I see it if STS had not opened their track to LLM's you would had been dead last season.If Hobbs had not continued you would be dead this season.

Lets get those 15 cc area cars to show up and our problem will be solved as far as the car count! Next, if everybody wants a one ( 1 ) carb rule and a one (1) weight rule, lets use these current rules for the 2014,2015,2016, season, then make changes for the 2017 season. we can get three years usage out of the current chassis.

Let me set the record straight. When I37 closed, our class had offers from 3 tracks to race. The drivers/owners had a meeting at the Bill Miller on the southside of SA. Those that were running the meeting had already decided to race at STS and the majority voted to race at STS (it was far from unanimous). There may be 15 cars in CC, but they damn sure don't support the track. It was a dieing class until the I37 cars showed up.

Once again we have an opportunity to add races at other tracks or move the class. I, for one would prefer to race at a track closer to home, but it seems the majority prefers STS without even hearing what is being offered. That's too bad, but it is what it is. I suspect we won't get any offers next time.

I agree, get those 15 CC cars to support the track and problem solved, but my experience is they've never supported it. You just had a promoter that was willing to support the class, not the other way around. Whether you like it or not, you've got a class that 75% of the cars do not reside near the track. You don't have a class without the out-of-town cars.

As far as the rules are concerned, leave them alone. Some people have a fixation with fuel and carbs. Why add more cost by forcing teams to change carbs or fuel. No one team is dominating which tells me the rules work.

Archived