Hahn/ASCS, Green, Kiphen, Estes, Guerin/IMCA winners at HOT Spwy

ASCS Gulf South Region @ Heart o' Texas Speedway, 4/18/14

By J M Hallas

Waco, TX.,(April, 18th, 2014) The American Sprint Car Series(ASCS) made their first of three trips to Heart o' Texas Speedway. The Gulf South Region tried their hand on the newly shaped, high-banked, 1/4 mile, clay oval just north of the city. Always a crowd favorite, the A-main didn't disappoint the near capacity grandstands.

Also on the nights racing program were the IMCA Modifieds, Southern Sportmods, Stock Cars and Hobby Stocks, plus the Street Stocks, Bombers, Twisters and Jr, Mini Stocks/Outlaw Twisters.

Hahn Out-hustles Berryman to Bag ASCS Bucks

In a race that had the crowd on their collective feet for the final laps, Blake Hahn(Sapulpa, Okla.) out-dueled a former Gulf South Region champ, Brandon Berryman for the win. Berryman, who had taken over the lead from Justin Melton on lap 17, gave up the top spot to Hahn on lap 22. Hahn got hung behind a slower car giving Berryman an opening to retake the lead. As the white flag waved, it was Berryman getting 'picked' by a lap car, with Hahn getting and winning the race the the checkers.

As the 18-car field took the green for the 25-lap feature event it Chris Sweeney first into turn 1, but a half spin and stall by Mike Walling quickly brought the yellow back out. This time it was J. Melton, not getting out snookered twice, grabbing the point chased by Sweeney, Berryman, Hahn and Tommy Bryant.

As J. Melton began to motor away, Sweeney and Hahn ran wheel to wheel for third, while Bryant and Kevin Ramey swapped fifth. As the top four separated apart, Bryant, Ramey and Aaron Reutzal battled for fifth. At the halfway point it was Melton, with a decent lead, Berryman, Hahn, Sweeney and Ramey in the top five.

Ramey finally got around Sweeney, with Reutzal following in his tracks. The red flag waved on lap 15 when Klint Angelette did several end-over-end flips down the back stretch coming to rest in turn 3. The top 3 were nose to tail on the restart with Berryman trying the high side then the bottom trying to get past J. Melton, but a spin by Bryant brought out a caution on lap 16.

The top five now had no lapped cars in the mix on the restart with Berryman putting a slider on J. Melton for the lead. Hahn was next to put a slide job on J. Melton for third, while Reutzal and Ramey traded fourth. With five to go it was still anyone's race among the lead trio.

Hahn ducked under Berryman coming off turn 4 to lead back to the line on lap 22. Hahn couldn't shake Berryman and had a slower car give Berryman a run to retake the spot as the white waved. Now it was Berryman getting blocked in turn 1 and Hahn sailing around for the lead and the victory, his second HOT Speedway win in a row, in the Bruce & Teresa Griffith owned, MDS Boring & Drilling, Houston Diesel, AFCO shocks, Wells Racing Engines, Maxim Chassis.

ASCS Gulf South Sprint Cars

17 Blake Hahn, 31 Brandon Berryman, 87 Aaron Reutzal, 11x Justin Melton, 1A Kevin Ramey, 11 Channin Tankersley, 93 Chris Sweeney, 21t Ray Allen Kulhanek, 76 Zane Lawrence, 36 John Pate, 74e Claud Estes, 29 Mike Walling, 17t Larry Howery,5x Tyler Hall, 24 Brandie Jass, 28 Tommy Bryant, 19 Klint Angelette, 21 Michelle Melton, 12 Scott Smith---DNS

ASCS Heats(top 8 in passing points redraw)

Heat 1; 36 John Pate, 17t Larry Howery, 21t Ray Allen Kulhanek, 93 Chris Sweeney, 11 Channin Tankersley, 21 Michelle Melton, 5x Tyson Hall

Heat 2; 31 Brandon Berryman, 76 Zane Lawrence, 28 Tommy Bryant, 24 Brandie Jass, 74e Claud Estes, 12 Scott Smith

Heat 3; 17 Blake Hahn, 11x Justin Melton, 19 Klint Angelette, 1a Kevin Ramey, 29 Mike Walling, 87 Aaron Reutzal

Green Grabs Modified Gold

Still going strong in his 40th year of racing, Keith Green showed he still had what it takes to go home with nights hardware. Green wasted little time getting to front, using the bottom to get under early leader Dwayne Grantham on lap 3. From there green held off charges from some of the younger guns, Eric Tomlinson and then Dean Abbey, who got by Green briefly on a couple occasions. As the checkers waved it was the veteran, Green in his Harvey Cox Racing, Greens Automatic Transmission Service, Stewart Stainless, Hewitt Gun Shop, Lambs Muffler, Performance Automotive Machine, Shaw Chassis by CAM.

As the 20-car IMCA Modified field roared to life for their 20-lap A-main, Grantham got the jump going into turn 1 trailed by Chad Estes, Hardy Henderson, Green and Tomlinson. Green was quickly past Henderson and Estes to take second on lap 1 and putting pressure on Grantham. Green dove under Grantham to lead lap 3 while Tomlinson charged to second.

Abbey, began his move to the front getting by Henderson on lap 5 for fifth. Tomlinson's chance to challenge Green ended on lap 6 when went around in turn 4. After multiple tries to restart, Abbey was now putting the heat on Green for the lead. Abbey threw a slide job at Green, but the cagey veteran crossed over and kept the top spot.

After a couple yellows, the top four were running up top, while Keith White and PJ Egbert, were trying to make ground on the bottom. At the crossed flags it was Green, Abbey, Estes, Grantham and White in the top five. With five to go Green ran up on traffic allowing Abbey to close the gap for a final run to the checkers.

Abbey, on the low side got under Green in turns 1-2, but Green used his momentum to get back by as they hit turn 3. Abbey tried one last slide job with two to go, but lost ground and fell into the clutches of Estes. Green took the white with a comfortable margin and held it to the finish, with Abbey holding off Estes for position.

"It was really pretty tough the way the track was," replied Green. "For me, the top in (turns) 1-2, and very bottom of (turns) 3-4 worked best. I had really planned on running the top all the way, but Hardy Henderson had that covered. I dove for the bottom and when I found that, it was awesome."

"From there on it was only lapped traffic holding me up. Dean(Abbey) caught me and it almost cost me. It was a lot of fun, but it's always fun when you win. That going back and forth is a lot of fun racing like that. He's a good, clean driver and I enjoyed running with him."

"A hammer down type of race track is my thing. It was like that in the heats. I kept watching the track going away, changing things, then backing it up a bit. Even after we got in line I made one more little change and it seemed to pay off. I just wanted to keep it rolling in around the top of (turns) 1-2, and it paid off."

"Ya, I've made a few laps around this place. This is my 40th year and I'm sure glad I can get a feature win. I have no idea how many wins or championships I've gotten here."

"The All-Star Modifieds will always be the tops in my life, top of my heart." added Green. "They were just awesome cars and it's really sad that they went away. These Modifieds are O.K., not taking anything away from anybody, but they're nothing like our Winged Modifieds. These newer Modifieds are actually hardly to drive, I'm sure because of less tire."

IMCA Modifieds

5 Keith Green, 26 Dean Abbey, 83 Chad Estes, 27g Dwayne Grantham, 12 Scooter Bates, 1 Keith White, ps3/707 PJ Egbert, 88 Wes Dulock, 11j Justin Radcliff, 63 Hardy Henderson, 444 Joe Spillman, 9 Pat McGuire, 77b Jody Buzbee, 13 Jerry Frydrych, 52 Ken Old, 19 George Lamphere jr, A+ Adrian Jez, 38 Billy Bachmeyer jr, 37 Ben Ketteman, 45t Eric Tomlinson, 1x Jake Henderson---DNS

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 27g Dwayne Grantham, 11j Justin Radcliff, 63 Hardy Henderson, 26 Dean Abbey, 45t Eric Tomlinson, 52 Ken Old, 38 Billy Bachmeyer, 13 Jerry Frydrych, 9 Pat McGuire, 88 Wes Dulock--BF

Heat 2; 5 Keith Green, 1 Keith White, 83 Chad Estes, 444 Joe Spillman, 12 Scooter Bates, PS3/707 PJ Egbert, 37 Ben Ketteman, A+ Adrian Jez, 19 George Lamphere jr, 77b Jody Buzbee, 1x Jake Henderson

Kiphen Cashes in Sportmods

Sid Kiphen made his way from a sixth row starting spot to get the top spot near halfway of the 20-lap IMCA Southern Sportmod feature. Kiphen got by early leader Terry Buzbee and Jeff Shepard as they battled up front. Stretching out his advantage Kiphen easily worked through slower traffic while Damon Hammond moved to second, but a half straightaway back Hammond had nothing for Kiphen.

Buzbee got a jump lead at the start of the 24-car feature when the pack stacked up in turn 1. Everyone continued on with Shepard, Hammond, Tom Grothues and David Goode jr. sorting out behind Buzbee. Kiphen was on the move getting by Goode on lap 2 for fifth, then Grothues a lap later using the bottom.

Kiphen caught Hammond and went up top to get third on lap 5. Closing on Shepard and Buzbee, Kiphen caught the lead duo on lap 7. Kiphen went for the 'two-fer' getting by Shepard and Buzbee for the lead on lap 9 as Hammond joined the fight almost going three wide for second. At the midway point it was Kiphen, Buzbee, Shepard, Hammond and Kevin Green in the top five.

Hammond got third from Shepard on lap 11, as the leader ran up on back markers. Kiphen sliced through the traffic while Hammond got second from Buzbee. K. Green and Shepard were wheel to wheel with two to go and made some contact, while up front it was Kiphen in the K&S Backhoe Service, Bell County Electrical Supply, NateMare Wraps, Hooked Up Guide Service, CenTex Motorsports powered, Express Chassis by CAM snagging the victory.

"It was a whole lot of hard work before we got here," said Kiphen. "I didn't think we would make it. When we loaded the car this afternoon it wouldn't crank. Finally got it cranked, got here late and worked to get it going. The car was good in the heat. Came back, changed the distributor, and it was a rocket. The car handled great, I couldn't ask for a better handling car. It was a good night."

"When start back there, the plan is not to run to anybody. You just have to take it easy, go with the opportunities you get. They can happen real quick. It all worked and we came out in front. I try to find the line. I drive every lap as hard as I can. If I don't feel that groove is good I'll move a little bit. I always drive like someones right behind me."

IMCA Southern Sportmods

58 Sid Kiphen, 116 Damon Hammond,5 Kevin Green, 99 James Holder, 601 Chris Cogburn, 55 TJ Green, 42 Justin Long, 37 Jeffery Abbey, 21 Chris Florio, 44 Anthony Simcik, 111 Tom Grothues, 7g David Goode jr, 4g Garett Rawls, 68 James Guyton, 53 Robert Scrivner, 92p Preston Manka, 6 Jarrett Roberts, 9w Brian Walker, 43g Gene Burnett, 25 Michael Gaunet, 77 Terry Buzbee, 777 James Hanusch, 9j Cody Shaw, 17 Jeff Shepard---BF(rough driving)

IMCA SSM B-mains(top 6 to A-main)

B-main 1; 99 James Holder, 9j Cody Shaw, 9w Brian Walker, 53 Robert Schrivner, 68 James Guyton, 25 Michael Gaunet, 21f John Freeman, 5h Dewayne Harris, 14x JR Phelps, 13 Sarah Goode

B-main 2; 92p Preston Manka, 55 TJ Green, 4g Garett Rawls, 42 Justin Long, 6 Jarrett Roberts, 777 James Hanusch, 62 Tim McDonald, 4d4 Blaine Simcik, 16 Scott Bradley, 05 Dennis Purrington

IMCA SSM heats

Heat 1; 44 Anthony Simcik, 116 Damon Hammond, 37 Jeffery Abbey, 9j Cody Shaw, 53 Robert Schrivner, 68 James Guyton, 14x JR Phelps, 5h Dwayne Harris

Heat 2; 17 Jeff Sheppard, 43g Gene Burnett, 21 Chris Florio, 6 Jarrett Roberts, 55 TJ Green, 42 Justin Long, 77 James Hanusch, 16 Scott Bradley

Heat 3; 111 Tom Grothues, 77 Terry Buzbee, 5 Kevin Green, 99 James Holder, 9w Brian Walker, 13g Sarah Goode, 21f John Freeman, 25 Michael Gaunet

Heat 4; 7g David Goode jr, 601 Chris Cogburn, 58 Sid Kiphen, 92p Preston Manka, 4g Garett Rawls, 62 Tim McDonald, 4d4 Blaine Simcik, 05 Dennis Purrington

Estes Edges Hood for I-Stock Sweep

Chad Estes(Troy) swept the IMCA Stock Car class with a win in both the heat and feature. Estes took over the top spot on lap 2 from Adam Schwarz and never looked back. Brandon Hood got by Schwarz on a restart but never could mount a serious challenge as Estes in the five1seven Designs, CenTex Motorsports, CAM Chassis scored the win

It was three wide going into turn 1 at the start of the 15-car, 15-lap IMCA Stock Car feature. Schwarz got the lead trailed by Estes, Tony Hamil, and Hood with Peter Delevan and Charles Cosper door to door for fifth. Estes got past Schwarz for the point on lap 2 before Thomas Schmidt had trouble in turn 3.

On the restart Hood got second, with Cosper moving up to fourth and Tyler Muirhead to fifth. Cosper and Schwarz then ran side by side for third until Cosper secured the spot. Kirk Martin made his way from the back to the top five getting by Muirhead. Up front it was still Estes cruising, while Martin caught Cosper and Schwarz. Estes took the checkers with room to spare over Hood.

IMCA Stock Cars

83 Chad Estes, 1b Brandon Hood, 33c Charles Cosper, 182 Adam Schwarz, 69 Kirk Martin, 98 Peter Delevan, 22t Tyler Muirhead, 74 Jeff Bauser, 07d Dennis Bissonette, 03 John Frydrych, t4 Tony Hamil, 7c Tony McPherson sr., 23 CJ Gray, 27 Thomas Schmidt, 179 Michael Sheen, 5a David Acosta---DNS

IMCA Stock Car heats

Heat 1; 83 Chad Estes, 07d Dennis Bissonette, 98 Peter Delevan, t4 Tony Hamil, 182 Adam Schwarz, 179 Michael Sheen, 7c Tony McPherson sr, 27 Thomas Schmidt

Heat 2; 1B Brandon Hood, 22t Tyler Muirhead, 33c Charles Cosper, 5a David Acosta, 23 CJ Gray, 69 Kirk Martin, 03 John Frydrych

Guerin Golden for Hobby Stock Honors

Brandon Guerin survived an opening lap melee at the start of the 15-lap, 13-car IMCA Hobby Stock feature. From there Guerin, in the Bay Tree Service, Hammock Racing Chassis, Autoworks, CenTex Motorsports, Destroyer Chassis picked off early leader Johnathon Beard and motored on the the victory.

As green initially waved it was four wide out of turn 2, but a bad start brought out the caution that saw cars climbing all over each other. The second try wasn't much better with a multi-car tangle in turn 2 that saw everyone keep going. Beard and Joe Williams were side by side until Beard gained the advantage to lead lap 1.

Williams, Nathan Sodek, Guerin and Garett Rawl's were in pursuit of Beard. Guerin quickly moved past Sodek and Williams for second, with Rawls up to fourth. Guerin ducked under Beard on lap 3 and started to get away until Rawls spun from fourth for a caution.

The top six sorted out single file on the restart and at halfway it was Guerin, Beard, Williams, Rawls back up to fourth, and Ray Kemp Jr. in the top five. As Guerin eased away in the final circuits, Rawls got by Williams and Beard for second, but faded on the last lap leaving Guerin unchallenged to the finish.

"It was a lot of luck," explained Guerin. "There were a lot of wreck ahead of me when we started that moved me up to the second row. So it came pretty easy tonight."

"I always look ahead of me and see whats going on, so I was able to make it through. I usually run my own race. If I feel any pressure I might change my line up a little bit. Normally when I'm out front I just try to stay smooth and hold my line."

IMCA Hobby Stocks

128 Brandon Guerin, 97 Johnathon Beard, 32 Joe Williams, 4g Garett Rawls, 60 Nathan Sodek, 21j Jordan Kornegay, 8/45 Ray Kemp jr., 47 Shannon Dulock, 82 Jeremy Oliver, 12 Westin Abbey, 89 Jeff Sexton, J33 Jamie Haynes, 50b Chad Bowman

IMCA Hobby Stock heats

Heat 1; 82 Jeremy Oliver, 4g Garett Rawls, 128 Brandon Guerin, 32 Joe Williams, 12 Westin Abbey, 50b Chad Bowman, 89 Jeff Sexton

Heat 2; 47 Shannon Dulock, 97 Johnathon Beard, 33j Jamie Haynes, 8/45 Ray Kemp jr., 60 Nathan Sodek, 21j Jordan Kornegay

Kirkpatricks 1-2 in Street Stock Scramble

The start of the 19-car, 20-lap Street Stock feature got ugly real quick when contact at the front of the pack caused a huge pile up in turn 2 catching up several of the top runners. Finally under green and it was the Kirkpatricks, Benji and Tommy, putting Brandon Hood in the sandwich on the back straight.

B. Kirkpatrick got the lead with T. Kirkpatrick, Hood, Shad Stevens and Joe Exerson on his tail. By lap five, Wade White had worked his way back to the top five after pitting with damage from the start. Despite right front suspension damage, White continued to pick off on restarts getting by Hood and T. Kirkpatrick for second.

T. Kirkpatrick battled back retaking the spot, but B. Kirkpatrick was off in the distance. The fight second got a break when Lewis Blackwood dumped fluid on the track for a caution, re-bunching the field. B. Kirkpatrick got away on the restart as T. Kirkpatrick and White ran side by side. At the checkers it was B. Kirkpatrick taking home the win.

Street Stocks

47 Benji Kirkpatrick, 4 Tommy Kirkpatrick, 68 Wade White, 23 Shad Stevens, 32 Bill Eller, 109 Gerald Johnson, 2 Kevin Ashley, 11 Jack Lewis, 9 Carl Boettcher, 1b Brandon Hood, 74 Lewis Blackwood, 72 Joe Erexson, 73 Jason Gauntt, 09 John Strickland, 111 Marshall Saucedo, 173 David Khoury, 22 Paul Barton, 5 James Manderud---DQ(rough driving), 1j James Cochran II---DNS

Street Stock heat winners; 73 Jason Gauntt, 68 Wade White

Smith Scores in Bomber Bash

As Billy Williams and Matthew Scott battled side by side at the start of the 15-lap, 13-car Bomber feature, Kevin Smith blew by on the high side to lead lap 1. Williams, Scott, Cody Shaw and Andrew Richards sorted out behind Smith. Shaw and Richards both got around Williams and Scott for second and third until a yellow for debris from Shaw waved on lap 4.

Smith made a move, signifying a start, and Ryan Hopkins took advantage jumping from the third row to the lead on lap 5. After another quick yellow for loose car parts, Richards went around from third on a restart. Once back under green, Smith was pressuring Hopkins for the lead back.

The fun began with five to go after Hopkins got hung up by a slower car giving Smith the chance to retake the lead briefly. Hopkins did a quick crossover holding the lead. Smith tried a slide job to get by in turns 1-2, but Hopkins had a better run on the back stretch retaking the point.

As the white flag was held high the duo were door to door in turn 3, with Smith getting the edge off turn 4 for the final lap. Smith(Elm Mott) in the Red Wing Shoes, Heart of Texas Auto Recovery, Central Texas Retreading, J&S Construction, Praxair, Chevy held on for the victory.

Bombers

57 Kevin Smith, 4 Ryan Hopkins, 17b Thomas Bailey, 20x Drew Garcia, 9 Andrew Richards, 293 Barry Gaston, 45 Brian Bagent, 27 Jerry Pittman, 8w Steve Wade, 62s Matthew Scott, 007 Monique Bagent, 28 Billy Williams, 9j Cody Shaw, 11 Marshall Saucedo---DNS

Bomber heat winners; 9j Cody Shaw, 57 Kevin Smith

In the Outlaw Twister/Jr. Mini Stock feature it came down to a battle between Taylor Florio and Hayden Wade for the win. Florio led most of the way from the start, giving way to Wade on lap 7. The two then ran side by side the final two laps setting up a potential photo finish. Unfortunately Wade slipped too high off turn 4 and slapped the wall giving Florio the victory. Wade was alright, but the car suffered axle damage and was unable to finish.

Outlaw Twisters/Jr Mini Stocks; 21t Taylor Florio, 62k Kamera McDonald, 10 Casey Brunson, 8w3 Hayden Wade

In the Twister feature, it was Benji Booth going flag to flag grabbing the win over Joshua Kuhnua, Cori Beatty and Michael Whisenhunt.

Twisters; 11 Benji Booth, 3k Joshua Kuhnua, 42 Cori Beatty, 75w Michael Whisenhunt, 4 Bill Hall

Archived