Sport Compacts

thumper

It was reported to me that every car that races with the STS Sport Compacts this weekend will recieve $80 regardless of finishing position.They must start the feature is the only requirment.A lottle wierd but a bood for those finishing 3rd and back compaired to last years purse.I believe this is a positive step for expressing acceptance from the new management and deserves our positive response by attendance.Im also under the impression the open invitation for the other series of minnies to also run with us as before.Hope to see you all there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do pull the windshield out I think they require 3 bars in front of the driver for protection and a lot of the guys have the metal mesh. I don't know if they have rules for windshields other than that, but I would recommend taking it off for vision reasons.

I hope something works out to have a series sponsor.I know a lot of people are looking at this class as an inexpensive way to be a part of this great Saturday show without needing a second morgage or making it a full time job.Race on Sat,live your life the rest of the week.Over the last several years the ministock racers have had many issues to deal with like series cancelling,tracks closing and now a management change at the track we got the most support from in the last 3 years.

I know the potential of this venue and have watched its growth up north to become one of the biggest classes at many northern tracks.With a sponsor and a smart promoter it can be here also.Mostly its a misunderstanding of what the STS Sport Compact car is all about.These are not the frontrunner/ecostocks that many Texas tracks now have.Those cars are strictle stock even to the size of tires and air cleaners.The powerful cars like Acuras,Neons,Eclipses,Cobalts,Focus twin cams etc are NOT banned from this series,rather they are encouraged due to their huge factory horsepower that makes buying a lot of expensive performance parts unnecessary while still enjoying the speed.Rather than restricting tires and wheels to the original specks,we are allowed any street tire up to a 205 plus different sizes to tune the car for oval track racing.We are allowed to play with springs,IE cut,shim swap with other OEM springs for the same reason.We are allowed headers mainly because many models have an exaust manifold that is prone to breaking and is expensive.A smart car builder can easily build a very fast factory circle track tuned modern car and the biggest cost is the doner car and roll cage.The factory provides the rest.And make no mistake,the tracks that have these types of cars have compacts that turn laps to rival the street stocks.These are not mini bombers that are a filler item,there a full blown factory race car.

Right now we have quite a mixture of mosty left over cars from past series and tracks and Im grateful for everyone that shows up to race.I know theres many cars inactive right now,waiting to see what the future of this class holds.I was encouraged to see so many at the Shootout from so many tracks also intrested in the STS Compacts.That race showed that money is important for ANY class to grow.So I hope Brians sponsorship deal works and we can pick up others as well because this class races what the dealerships are selling TODAY.

My final point is:the mechanics that work on these modern are a different breed.They are well versed in modern electronics and modern engine designs.This make a wonderful oppourtunity for the beginning professional mechanics to hone their talents.When was the last time you heard a V8 driver complain they lost a race because the cam sensor went out or the computer went to limp mode?Or having a problem with the cam advancer or an oxygen sensor malfunction or even an air flow meter that gave up.The guys good at this stuff make the best mechanics for any new model car sold today.So its really new science for us.Thats the most exciting part to me.

Theres this years speech,hope it inspires some.We need modern cars on our oval tracks if we want to expand our show.Too many people are left out of todays oval track racing because they really have no connection with the dinosaurs (no offence) running around in circles now.The fast and furious croud have a tremendous following and need to be a part of our local shows.And the Sport Compacts are designed with them in mind.We just need to figgure out how to get them intrested here.Afterall they are the ones customizing and tuning todays factory cars.They spend big bucks on their cars.Lets get them off the streets on Sat nite and in the pits racing and showing off their talents.This is 2014,not 1980.

Sorry for the rant,Im not intrested to hear how great the big noisy cars are,they have their following already.But it looks like some help with new blood would benifit all.JMO.Thanks for reading.

GB, the new blood you are looking for probably don't visit this forum. I would suggest going to some of their forums and attaching videos and race results with pictures. Maybe even join their clubs or go to their events. Jmo, good luck I know you are super passionate about them 4 cylinders.

Archived