15 yr. old girl dies in first ever race

rebelracewriter

looks like she may have gotten loose and over steered it ..the one wreck we fear the most ....reb send our best to them i aint that good on that part ..........i know there will be tons of folks who will say she should have never been it that car . if it is something she wanted to do she had the right ...the first time my son raced my wife ask me if i was nervous .nope cant afford to be .it is what it is and i would never hold him back from doing what he loves no matter the out come .i raced and took the same chances ....

You often hear the argument that drivers of the little cars (like Eco Stocks, Mini Stocks, etc) don't need full safety gear. Let this tragedy be a wake-up call that they do need full safety gear.

I have no idea whether this young lady was wearing a Hans device (or equivalent), but that's not the point. The point is that every driver at every track in every class should be required to be fully decked out in state-of-the-art personal safety equipment. A little car hitting the wall at 50 mph can be just as catastrophic as a modified hitting the wall at 80 mph.

I know, I know. These "lower" classes are supposed to be easy on the wallet. Who can afford to race a car that costs only $1500 with $1500 worth of personal safety gear? You hear it all the time.

BS. If you can't afford full safety gear, don't race.

Prayers for the family and friends of this young lady.

Nick

Has a good cage in it .looks like she maynot have had her belts tight enough .the steering wheel looks out of place .and nick i knew that was coming ..we dont know what she was wearing though or if this car was built for her and she fit right in the seat so on so on ..hope we do find out why ..

nick .i agree with your point on safety equipment i see your passion . i dont agree they should not race .it is a persons choice outside the mandatory minimum wear ...if all the tracks made it mandatory i see more tracks closing .the same class lower classes you so enjoy watching and announce on speedzone are the same classes with drivers and most i may say dont have the wear you mentioned .. should they park the cars ..should a track close down untill enough racers own the safety equipment .that may take a while ..it is very sad this girl died doing what she dreamed of ..but we lost some drivers last year who had all the mentioned equipment on .where do you go then ..you can get killed in this sport .we all take that chance .you can get killed snow ski .baseball .skate boarding .and so on .the one thing racing has above all those is the safety equipment around and on the driver that no other sport has .i feel my son is safer in his race car than standing on that pitchers mound when a ball hits him at 100 plus from what 60 feet away ..

If tracks shut down because racers can't afford proper personal safety equipment, then so be it. I understand your argument, Mike, but it doesn't hold water. Allowing folks to get on a track without proven personal safety equipment is just asking for trouble in this day and age.

I know how much all that safety equipment costs and I also know that there are some who would not be able to race because they can't afford to buy it. But tires are expensive, fuel is expensive, travel to and from the track is expensive, buying the LSSZ site administrator a burger and DP is expensive, but we do that anyway, right?

Let's suppose this young lady's parents figure out that the track could/should have mandated a HANS device for all classes (again, I'm not saying she wasn't using one - I have no way of knowing that at this point) and they file suit against Bubba Speedway. How long do you think that track will stay open?

Mike, I know you've probably raced at some point in the past where you absolutely knew you were putting yourself in harm's way. I know I have. But does that make it right for my loved ones or your loved ones if the odds caught up with you or me? We'd be fine sitting around heaven bench racing with the racing heroes of our youth... But what about Lorraine and Josh? How do you suppose they would feel if they knew you died because you wanted to save a few hundred bucks and skimped on the safety stuff? They would be hurt beyond hurt....

Yes, I got away with racing with ZERO personal safety equipment back in the late '50s and I'm alive and kicking. And you got away with it whenever you raced without the latest and greatest and you're alive and kic.... , well, you're alive. But that doesn't mean we weren't fools. We were fools. And if we still believe that others should be able to race without the best safety equipment available, well, we're still fooling ourselves.

Nick

IT holds alittle water nick ...you have some good points and yes i have raced with just belts and hard hat ... but would not suggest racers park their cars because of it ..as for burger and dr pepper .sounds good and its coming when i see you again .well your alive part that's funny...

Nick, you know that I have been on a personal safety vendetta since watching Ryan Bard burn to death in his car....Which had all the appropriate personal safety gear...but an oversight on the fuel cap turned out to be the downfall....would a tip-over valve have helped in that situation.....probably so, or at least reduced the amount of spilled fuel...hindsight....

To your point of keeping drivers off the track without the proper safety gear....It's been a while since I looked close, but at one time as many as a dozen drivers were spotted by me with no fireproof gloves on at a central Texas race track....Only one I know of, after years of prodding, has made or is trying to transition to feeling comfortable in gloves....

After talking to one of the sanctioning bodies about safety gear their concern was IF they mandated something, and still a death or serious injury occurred, that they could be more liable than if it was only recommended, and left up to the individual.....Tough call either way....

My dad was there, and from what he told me it was pretty much how you guys assumed it happened.

I'm sorry, I still have an issue with kids who can't legally have an unrestricted drivers license driving a full size car on a racetrack - 4 cyl or not. There are a wide variety of reasons from driving experience, body size and strength, general safety equipment and car construction. I realize I'm probably in the minority on this board, and that's ok. There are a million and one questions that can and should be asked here....but nothing will bring her back.

May she rest in peace, and I pray the family and friends can find comfort in whatever they believe in.

I understand how you feel,PAPosse,but some ,most of these young ones drive smarter than their older counterparts. To be honest I've seen some drivers suits if I was an operator I wouldn't pass.A head and neck device of some kind should be mandentory especially for the younger drivers who may not be fully physically developed yet.Stories like these are surely tragic and my heart goes out to all invoved.But it would be a shame if some kind of steps are not taken to minimize the chances of it happening again.Remember the HANS and Hutchins devices came as a result of Earnhardt's death.INDY car had them before. And there was bitchin and moanin by some drivers about it.Now none would ever think about getting into any race car without it.

yep and those who try to and do take other drivers out dont have any ones safety in mind ..just never know what the outcome can be .even spinning someone out can kill em .

Just ask Mr Earnhardt. Oh wait. Cant.

yep and those who try to and do take other drivers out dont have any ones safety in mind ..just never know what the outcome can be .even spinning someone out can kill em .

all come on you have not gotten over the terry thing yet ...just rattling your cage ..lol

all come on you have not gotten over the terry thing yet ...just rattling your cage ..lol

I haven't. That was the one time I saw Terry show some anger during an interview.

Archived