The "new sound" of F1 racing is not to the liking of some....

Have you heard the sound - or lack thereof - of the F1 cars this year? Nothing whatsoever like the scream we used to hear....

I was looking for a sound bite to post, but came up empty... Anyone got one to share?

What are your thoughts about the new sound of F1?

Nick

Count me in the group that doesn't like the new sound, or lack thereof. It's an important part of F1. The engines sound like they're being suffocated. In effect, the sound actually is being choked off by the turbo and the heat recovery hardware that's keeping the true exhaust sound from getting out to our ears. I've tried to be as open to the new sound and the new formula as possible, but they just don't sound inspiring in any way, imho. A GP car should sound completely different from any other kind of race car. These just don't.

FWIW, it's been a quite divisive issue. I was berated a couple of days ago on twitter by a longtime follower. I was told I knew nothing about F1, must have just started following F1 when it came to Austin, didn't "get" F1, etc. This lady talked down to me like I was an insolent child simply because I had a different preference. I don't understand that at all. People disagree. I haven't held anyone else's view on this against them.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest on the noise issue from GP Update:

Formula 1 set to increase engine noise

7 April 2014 – Formula 1 is set to look at ways to increase the level of sound produced its new turbocharged engines.

The lower noise level has been criticised by many fans and paddock figures in the early stages of the season, including Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and reigning quadruple World Champion Sebastian Vettel.

But following meetings with the sport's key players in Bahrain, the FIA is to set up a working group to address the issue, and it is hoped that the changes can be tested for the first time at the post-Spanish Grand Prix test.

"It's something we have been addressing with all the manufacturers involved in Formula 1, to address the thing even with the new regulations," Todt told media in the Sakhir paddock. "We must see if we can implement in the short, medium, long term, a bigger noise. And that we will do and we will get unanimous agreement.

"After Barcelona there will be two days of testing, so hopefully there is something that can be tested."

• 5 weeks later...

Archived