Notice to ALL from Ken Hobbs

First of all I would like to thank Owen for his hard work and dedication. I agree with most of you that STS is a great place to race and Owen is a big part of that. The other part is the fans and drivers. As the ownership may be changing the racing will not. We will continue on in the same manner as before and hope that we can improve the facilities to truly make this the best race track possible.

I admit there are going to be some difficulties. The first is the lack of Owen as a Promoter and Announcer. I am currently looking for a few individuals before we can race. I am looking for a Race director, Announcer and people for track preparation. Monty has done great in the past but he cannot do it alone and we need to have other people to help take the load off. Also we have some maintenance issues we need to fix. As soon as we have all the people and the facility ready we will begin our season. I can tell you I am going to move back the first points night to the second scheduled race. If we race before that date it will not be for points. I am hoping to have a practice very soon however it will not be this weekend. We are replacing some guardrail and need that finished first. If you are interested in being a race director, Announcer or helper please message me. I believe in a fair track and in having fun. I am working hard to give that to everyone. I thank you for your support and making STS the track it is today.

I will be making some phone calls soon to employees and helpers. Please be patient I have a lot of you to talk to...

Ken Hobbs

From personal experience, you have to either be naive or dumb or a glutton for punishment (or all three) to volunteer to run a race track (or be race director or be chief tech). I am all three and have the battle scars to prove it.. LOL

Life-long friends become enemies the instant you make a decision they disapprove of. And you will sooner or later. You can't make a decision in the racing world without pissing off a bunch of folks no matter how logical or honestly the decision is made.

You will put in untold hours only to be told you are stupid, blind, ignorant, too dictatorial, too soft on the bad guys, too hard on the bad guys, etc.

You will be accused of playing favorites, sometimes by both sides of an argument or call at the same time! I used to figure that if all parties were bitching at me at the same time, I must be doing something right.

You will lose money, time and sleep only to be accused of being it for your own glory, for financial gain, or to feed your personal need for power.

You will be accused of being a hypocrite, a liar and a thief. You will be threatened with lawsuits by those believing you are indeed one or all three.

But stock car racing desperately needs good men and women to lead and provide a level playing field, a decent set of rules and a safe facility. Unfortunately, many good men and women have tried their level best to give us just that only to go down in a ball of flame or bite the dust in a cloud of bitterness and disgust. My heart breaks for them.

That being said, there are some former racers who should step up for the good of racing, but don't - usually for the same reasons I have listed above. It takes a person who is willing to face the critics with a steady grip on reality and do what's best for the track regardless of the pressures being applied by those who have the financial resources to do so.

My prayer for the track is that someone will come forward and attempt to fill the void left by Owen's departure.

Nick

" It takes a person who is willing to face the critics with a steady grip on reality and do what's best for the track regardless of the pressures being applied by those who have the financial resources to do so. ".......Darn Mr. Nick, that sounds a lot like you!

i would rather stay in my safe chair and do as poorboy said some do ..i can run a track better from home ...but i know nick is the man for the job he is harden and tested ....go nick go nick raw raw raw ........hey i know gb here is your chance ..lol.. or arob .....

• 2 weeks later...

Ken....STS Staff.....Can I get your phone number? Need tot alk about throwing out swag at intermission on race night from one of our sponsors. We will be giving away discounts from clayton homes and have other stuff to throw out to the fans..

Archived