Limited Late Model

Taz Racing

Anytime you talk about rule changes seems to always open a can of worms. I believe that the rules in this class are fairly simple to understand and most of the drivers are abiding by them. There was an issue on j bars which was addressed by the track staff and then readjusted accordingly. The one and main item that needs to be looked at would be the carburetor rule. The rule states that you can run gas or methanol with a 2 barrel or a gas 4 barrel vacuum secondary with the weight of 2850 or any gas 4 bbl mechanical secondary with a 300 pound weight penalty. The problem is that the tech does not know when you go across the scales as to what carb rule you fall under at that time. (Not The Tech's Fault). I'd like to see the rule simplfied so that we all run a 2 bbl or we can run any 4 bbl without a weight penalty. I'm not trying to upset anyone but I feel that this could be a simple rule change and would ease the burden on the tech. This is just a thought so be easy with the pitch forks and rocks.

Taz Racing

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think a real racecar has a 4-barrel on it anyways what you guys spending on a carb that's actually tuned for your motor $1200 well I got a $600 4-BARREL that's 10 times better at half the cost I think 2-barrels for water trucks and 4-barrels are for racing and being these cars can run methanol why not just put one rule in there take the 2-barrels off and just run 4-barrel jmo!!

Either that or have someone check as soon as the drivers line up for scales, someone asks us what fuel we are running so the tech guy knows what carb to look for? or we just have either a 2bbl rule or a 650 vac second rule. no weight penalty.. if you open the carb rule up with no weight penalty then there will be issues. so simplify it to either 2bbl, or 650 4bbl or both..nothing more..

I don't know what the big flap is. Run whatever you want.

Both our cars run the same basic engine (CID, cam [slight difference], heads, bob weight, etc.), but one runs a 4412 (500 cfm 2 barrel) and the other a 3310 (vacuum secondary 4 barrel). I defy anyone to watch them on the track and tell me which one has which carb.

You carb an engine with whatever it needs. Put a 850 cfm on a 360 cid engine, then switch to a 500 cfm and see which one performs best on the track. The carb and intake have to be matched to the heads and cam.

As far as gas vs. alcohol, there's very little performance difference in an engine with less than 11:1 compression. The biggest advantage of alcohol in low compression engines is it's easier to keep them cool in TX summers.

Why don't we just enforce the rules we have, like spoiler height.

The issue that I was trying to get across is that cars are being scaled at a minimum of 2850 going across the scales when some of the cars are running a mechanical secondary and should be scaled at 3150. There were also 4 bbl carb's being run with methanol, so that is why I threw it out there about only running a 2 bbl or have it open on carb's and and scale everyone at the 2850 minimum or do like Joe said, have your weight declared on the car. So how can we make it easier on the tech?

We're lucky to have a place to race! We need more cars in the class that show up every week! I don't think there was a problem with any of the cars that showed up consistently and ran up front. Have a set of rules and if someone is out running everyone with something illegal have them change it. Cost is a concern and I am sure making some cars change carbs or perhaps something else might keep them from showing up.

I will go out on a limb and say if there are cars running methanol with a 4bbl and someone knows it, then your at fault for not pointing it out just as much as the guy trying to pull the wool. .. But dont change the rules. I will be glad to write my weight on my pillar or the scale guy chalks it on the pillar for the tech to know what carb I am suppose to run.. If there is a question about fuel the tech guy needs to put his hands in the fuel cell and match to proper carb. I am good with that. I was ask memorial night what fuel I run and there were no questions because I match what the rules say for my fuel and carb.. They looked at my carb.. For those who are true legal guys, they will stay legal without trying to change the rules. If guys need clarification, the tech guy needs to be the one that does that.. If there are guys in our class that want to try to be illegal you will get caught....So keep the rules the same, all of us make sure we are legal, and the tech guy figure out how to make sure he covers the bases. They did a fine job the nights that we were there....So Gary... I would say the scale guy writes on the pillar the wieght...The tech guy first looks at the weight and then goes right to the carb..once that is done he needs to go to the fuel cell... Outlaw said it right...you open the carb rule up.. the heavier guys will get smashed...you choke it to only a 2bbl..the heavier cars will get smashed.. leave the rules and make the tech pad do its job....

And I will agree with Rusty...there are few cars way out of spoiler tolerence...I would say if you want to be a llm we should have to run a lm body with no mods to it..jmo..I do..and its very sweet looking.. If guys need a body..let me know i will help you out...If you want to run the SUPR spoiler side panels...fine...but 8 inch spoiler. this year if it doesnt look right it will be brought up... Not to sound like a party pooper for some but leave things alone and do them right...

Maybe instead of worrying about carb rules, what and/or who is legal or not, might need to worry about if and/or how often LLM's will be on the schedule this year. Alot of people talked a good game last season and it started off really well, got up to 19 cars one night. then the count started falling off to 8-10 and on a good night 12-14. couple of times we had streetstock or pure stock with us just to have enought cars for decent payout. The race in December' as far as LLM car count was not good for a big show. No, I wasn't there and told everyone the last race of the season I was through for the rest of the year. My goal had always been to finish the regular season, and I did. This season, I will be there as often as possible and when we are on the schedule.

I cant say anything about showing up every night last year becuase family comitments and mechanical issues harbored that. However, I will say everything is good to go and ready and we have everything we need for a full season this year. So we will be at every race...going for the championship..

Danielson... I stated the exact same thing in my previous post. MAke the tech guy do his part with us giving him what he needs.

Archived