Texas Racers Hall of Fame

elliottfan

Who would you vote into a Texas Racer's Hall of Fame?

I'm thinking drivers only - no promoters, owners, or mechanics.

Also I would think that this is only for guys who have significant skins on the wall - if you love your favorite driver, but he only ever won one feature race, or he was the king of street stocks, that don't count in my opinion. I am thinking this would be for guys with skins on the wall, racing in the top divisions at their tracks.

Also I think we should have categories for this Hall of Fame:

International / National / Texas and Local (same category)

OK let the cxomments begin!

OK,

the obvious big dogs..

AJ Foyt

Johnny Rutherford

Terry Labonte

could even put Bobby Labonte as one of the top guys in for winning championships in two of the top Nascar divisions.

some may overlook, but not only what these two did behind the wheel, but in the development of race cars, and innovation

Jim Hall

Carroll Shelby

then,

Freddy Fryar(even if 75% of what he did in career was outside of Tx before he ever called Beaumont home, he still did a lot here)

Jimmy Finger

Bill White

drag racing....

Kenny Bernstein

Eddie Hill

and you said no promoters, etc. but a Tx racer hall of fame would not be complete(in my opinion) without someone who contributed more than anyone realizes...and started a series while still a driver, and competed at several levels on the national stage....and saved LM racing in the 80s in Tx, along with the longest running series TIDA....old friend Neil Upchurch.

and I am missing a lot of them

Billy

More dirt ..... Gary Wright , Billy Griswold & Shady Mcwhorter. ............... Probably misspelled

Drag racers: Lee Shepard of the famed Reher/Morrison team and Pontiac man Don Gay.

Guys I think I forgot a couple of drivers from way out west - Don Burt and John Foster. Didn't Don Burt win like 6 track championships in a row at Amarillo back in the day? And John Foster won everywhere he went. He has over 200 feature wins in late models. And that one year, 1981 or so, he won 50 feature events. Wow!

Rick Rapp for sure.Dub Rollins ,Slick Yoemans,Bruce Beddoe come to mind from the Corpus area.John Kelly ,Tommy Davis ,Hubert Bean S.A area.My brain is not working well today but from the Austin area the black #3 Southside Wrecker car for sure.My pick for the best ever out of AustinDarn can't believe his name escapes me but I'm sure it will be revealed soon. Just hit me! Bobby Joe New.

Billy Wade of Houston,Bill White of Temple,Gordon wooley of Waco,and Rick Rapp of Corpus Christi,Freddy Fryar of Beaumont.

OK, remember guys, need to nominate drivers with skins on the wall..... ie - track championships, series championships, big race wins, significant numbers of feature race wins....

Billy Wade of Houston,Bill White of Temple,Gordon wooley of Waco,and Rick Rapp of Corpus Christi,Freddy Fryar of Beaumont.

OK, remember guys, need to nominate drivers with skins on the wall..... ie - track championships, series championships, big race wins, significant numbers of feature race wins....

and... along those lines, I really want to add Paul White: 1 National Title (USAC), several track championships (you guys correct me on this) and umpteen features at Waco and other locales

OK,

the obvious big dogs..

AJ Foyt

Johnny Rutherford

Terry Labonte

could even put Bobby Labonte as one of the top guys in for winning championships in two of the top Nascar divisions.

some may overlook, but not only what these two did behind the wheel, but in the development of race cars, and innovation

Jim Hall

Carroll Shelby

then,

Freddy Fryar(even if 75% of what he did in career was outside of Tx before he ever called Beaumont home, he still did a lot here)

Jimmy Finger

Bill White

drag racing....

Kenny Bernstein

Eddie Hill

and you said no promoters, etc. but a Tx racer hall of fame would not be complete(in my opinion) without someone who contributed more than anyone realizes...and started a series while still a driver, and competed at several levels on the national stage....and saved LM racing in the 80s in Tx, along with the longest running series TIDA....old friend Neil Upchurch.

and I am missing a lot of them

Billy

Another Big Dog - Lloyd Ruby

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I forgot the most obvious. My Dad Red Garner who built his own Modifieds and Supers from the ground up in a 1 car garage that won many races in the south with many different drivers. Most of the other Supers he raced agaist were purchased in Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and up North and the drivers were from the south area.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived