Torque Converter almost makes it into the grandstands?

NickHolt

OK... someone needs to explain this one to me. How in the world could a torque converter almost end up in the stands?

Nick

post-3-1383496707.jpg

Photo courtesy of LeAnn Albert.

post-3-1383496511.jpg

Courtsey of Mary Ann Naumann.

post-3-1383495829.jpg

Photo courtesy of Dancer Motorsports.

power glide couldn't handle the power

Please explain what you mean. How could a piece of the drive line come apart from the rest? I understand how a clutch can explode and how a lightened flywheel might come apart, but a torque converter? Did someone forget to put some bolts in place?

Nick

I ripped the center completely out of a flex once - the tc was completely disconnected from the engine although still had the outer circ of the flex attached. It wobbled around and beat the hell out of the tranmission case (turbo 350 and powerglides will spin the TC if the trans output is turning fast enough from coasting) - but stayed trapped. Had the input shaft and its support also been compromised I guess it could have come out... but that would require failure of the entire front half of the case - and those parts (including a two foot long shaft) would have been all over as well.

I think someone goofed and left a TC somewhere they should not have during a change...

being it was in a limited, there is no rear support for the transmission with the track being pretty rough it probably broke the case allowing the converter to jump out like it did but i have seen power glide explode before but the converter is usually still attached to the engine .

It ripped the entire right side of the body off in the area immediately adjacent to the motor, so I really doubt it was being used as a ballast.

Ouch! :o

Couldn't tell from the pic. Was the flex plat still attached to the TC?

Curious if this was a component failure, or a assembly issue?

Or combination of both .....

Whichever luck on 2 counts:

1. The catch fence worked

2. The TC didn't exit towards the driver (had the cap from the front yoke let go on my Mod once. Nice round hole, the same size as the cap, on the right side of the body. Threw a couple more buck$ in the collection plate the following Sunday ''cuz it didn't fly off the yoke towards me)

Epic failure then!

We used to get our powerglide from Renegade Transmissions - referred to as hand grenade transmissions for a reason! The maintenance required was what kept the pin in place... of course we didn't run torque converter - direct to mini fly with a pump bypass.

Archived