"Jr" racing

KahneFan

I was just wondering if there are any "Jr" tracks around here? I always hear Cup drivers say "Well, I got my start in go-cart racing, then sprints, then...." So, do we have any actual go-cart tracks for Kids to grow up with around here? I'm thinking this could be one reason for a lack of interest in racing. I know I had a go-cart when I was younger as did 4 other kids within a 5 mile radius. We would've LOVED to have been able to pay $20 to go throw our go-carts on a track one Saturday night. Hell, my Mom even talked about trying to get a bunch of us kids together to split the cost of renting Longhorn on a weekday night so we could run it in our go-carts. Had we had an actual go-cart track to run on, maybe we would've found a way to turn those go-carts into real cars along with XX number of other kids. With the events center in front of THR, instead of charging for kids to run 2 or 3 laps in the "house cars", maybe they should've tore up the concrete, put down some dirt and charged kids $10/$20 to bring their own cars, plus $2.00 a ticket (or whatever) and had races from 12:00pm - 4:00pm on Saturdays before the main events on the big track. This would've brought people to the track to see their kids race and then maybe hang out for the big events.

So, are there any "Jr" tracks around here for kids to sink their teeth into? If not, it's a crap shoot weather they'll be "into" racing as an adult or not.

alot of race car drivers cut their teeth in austin when they where youngsters racing 1/4 midgets(5-15 yrs old)-there is a track at VFV 8787-it is located between braker and yager lane on the east frontage road-i myself spent 7 + years with my son josh racing there-i saw casey smith get his start the day he turned 5 years old with river city quarter midgets(now he races in ASA) -i watched the likes of daryn pittman who is a star with the world of outlaws and shane and darren stewart(WOO and ASCS and sprint bandits) race there when they where just little guys-you have mike riley and kyle zirrotti(not sure of spelling)who raced there and now race allisons-the list goes on and on-get ahold of bob riley-he was the president of river city quarter midgets at one time and see if something can be worked out-they used to do something with thr-bring their cars out-show em to the kids-so there is a place for kids to race but now days parents think their kid is going to be a major league ball player-chances of em winning the lottery are better than making pro sports-hope this helps some

i had just came in from the race track when i posted this morning-river city quarter midgets used to have a club car that kids could sign up to drive when they had a "play day" to see if a kid was interested in racing a 1/4 midget-when we were racing 1/4's we would have a "play day" on a sat or sun afternoon and have 50 plus kids signed up to ride-we would do car shows to inform people of what we did together with our kids and have a sign up sheet and kids that signed it ,we would send them info on the dates and times to show up for a ride at the track-if a 100 signed up at least 50 would show up-out of that you may get 5-plus new drivers to join-it is a comittment to race these cars cause its not like little league baseball where parents drop off the kid and leave-the parents have to be there to help the kid race-it was some of the best times i ever spent with my kids-and i always knew where they were-either in the garage messing with the car or at the track racing together as a family-by the way evertime i have drove pass the tracks up near waco when they are racing they are packed with kids and parents also-so kids are racing-HOT in waco has alot of up and coming racers for their future from what i've seen-they are slinging dirt early in age and only going to want something bigger and faster as they get older

nascar, There are many of the dirt tracks around Texas that run a Jr. Mini Stock class for ages 12-16. Different tracks have names for them like Boyd Bandits(Boyd Raceway) 281 Tornadoes(281 Speedway), but they are all the same. I've seen these kids go green to checkers without a caution, while the other, more experienced classes have more spins than a Stevie Nicks video.

Guest RandyBorlace

There is also the LSQMA in san antonio where i got my start, haven't been to the QM tracks in years, the austin track was my favorite out of the ones in texas, i won my first race on that track after i flipped going into the turn lol

Thanks guys, I'll definitely have to check these out. I've lived in Austin all my life and have never heard of these places. So, I guess before we push our "big tracks" to advertise more, we need to figure out how to get the word out about these tracks and get people started early so they'll grow up racing. :D

Contacts for Quarter Midget racing in Texas:

River City QMA (Austin) @ www.rcqma.com

Lone Star QMA (SA) @ www.lsqma.org

Dan Harris (FT.Worth) 817-222-2705 about the dirt tracks in Waco-Fr.Worth area.

People I know that were in the San Antonio or Austin clubs:

Terry Labonte, Robbin McCall, Eddy Wallace (ROMCO), Josh Freeman (ARTS), Cassey Smith (ASA), Kyle Sirizzotti, John Riley (Allison), Zac Zearfoss, Brenian Poole (Legands), Randy Borlace(dirt ?)

I didn't mean to leave anyone out, so if you raced with us, please say so as my memory is now terriable.

Archived