Why I think

arob

I know! I did a little reading up on this event.Starts on Monday and ends Saturday night.Last year saw 876 cars in I think 7 classes.$250,000 total purse and just under$250,000 in contengencies.Modifieds had 30 qualifying heats their first day.Read on a blog the first few days races start at 2PM and end between 2-3:30 AM ! If I could pick any racing event in the world to attend I think I would pick this one!

... ! If I could pick any racing event in the world to attend I think I would pick this one!

For attending race, sure.

But for attending an event, I'm thinking the Grand Prix at Monaco. Just think of the, ahem, scenery :rolleyes:

The success in IMCA comes from common rules.Even non sanctioned tracks for the most part follow the same rules.That makes more available cars,new and used because the investment is less risky.The more cars avaible,the more people can find something that works for them.IMCA has rules for every class but the open wheel guys are the ones that are attracted to them.Thus the modifieds and sport mods are the most successful at almost every track in the US.

Very few local tracks have common rules in the entry level classes and for us thats where the numbers can be recruted from.Tracks need more promoting for the kinds of cars most everybody can afford.It can be done without taking away from the feature classes.We have shut out too many average joes.How many canm afford a $20,000 car with a maintainence cost of $500 to $2000 per event?

Remember the modifieds were resurected for the average joe who could not afford a late model and indeed in the beginning modifieds were affordable to most people.Like always,a few with vast resourses kept setting the bar higher.Now the sport mods become the class for the masses,but are creaping up to be not inexpensive.Now at South Texas Speedway and was proposed at Rio Grande Speedway a couple of years ago comes the eco-mod.Basically a sport mod with pure stock running gear.A great idea as many sport mods are sold as rolling chassis.I dont think IMCA has incorporated the Eco mod yet but this is a fantastic idea to again put racing in the hands if the common joe.Other tracks would be wise to consider adapting these cars with the common rules they already enjoy.Meanwhile the fender cars like pure stocks,bombers and ministocks should not be forgotten.

The feature classes like late models,modifieds,limited mods etc will still be the flagships but the entry classes can provide butts in the pits that help racing anywhere.But it takes everyone working together to make this happen.When successful tracks will be packed again.Inclusion,not seculision. JMO

Well I gotta say since most tracks have 25+ limiteds weekly so I guess a lot of folks can afford them.You get into the Kansas area and it is 25+modifieds at $50,000+. At Boone I will say they had I think it was 65 front runners.But they had close to 350 mods and limited mods.I'm all for e-mods. I think that is the entry class of the future.And while I'm at it I think it would be cool to see TPS on dirt!

Well I gotta say since most tracks have 25+ limiteds weekly so I guess a lot of folks can afford them.You get into the Kansas area and it is 25+modifieds at $50,000+. At Boone I will say they had I think it was 65 front runners.But they had close to 350 mods and limited mods.I'm all for e-mods. I think that is the entry class of the future.And while I'm at it I think it would be cool to see TPS on dirt!

tps on dirt got some tires

Went to that race last year... Its absolutely the hardest modified race to qualify for the feature that I have seen let alone win... Just in the modifieds there were 30 heats of 10-12 cars... If you were lucky enough to win your heat you made it to the nights qualifying A main... Everyone else goes into lower mains for points towards LCQ lineups... You then need to finish in the top 8 or 9 to make up one of 3 rows in the Big A... I think Wed qualifiers make up the inside Thurs make up the middle and Fri make up the outside... LCQ on Sat for I think 6 remaining spots... This same format is used for most of the classes throughout the week... Last year the I Stocks started 33 cars I believe ran 30 or 40 laps and went Caution free... only 2 cars fell out... One hell of a race... Definitely the best racing vacation I ever took... Better than even going to the Snowball...

I AM SURE I SAID THIS YEARS AGO. I THINK ALL TEXAS TRACKS SHOULD ADOPT IMCA RULES. YOU DONT HAVE TO RUN EVERY IMCA CLASS YOU CAN CHOOSE THE CLASSES THAT BEST FIT THE TRACK. IT COSTS MONEY TO CHANGE BUT THE LONGER YOU WAIT TO CHANGE THE MORE YOU INCREASE YOUR CHANCE FOR FAILURE. JMO. THERE ARE VERY FEW TRACKS IN TEXAS KICKING BUTT WITH CAR COUNT AND THEY ALL COULD USE MORE CARS, I THINK WITH IMCA RULES ALL OVER ANYONE COULD BUILD A CAR AND NO THEY HAVE A TRACK TO RACE AT. THE RULES COULD ALSO WORK FOR PAVEMENT WITH SMALL ADJUSTMENTS LIKE TIRES. AGAIN JMO

BOBBY JACK

I have been and to Boone the last 4 years and raced the last 3 and have started making plans for next year already. IMCA has its flaws as do all sanctioning bodies. What I don't understand is why local tracks don't work together to adopt a set of rules for the other classes such as pure stocks and street stocks. The way it is now you build a car and your locked into one or two(if your lucky) tracks. I can take my modified from California to New York and know it's legal, what the line up procedure will be, what the rules state and what the procedures are. PERIOD. Everyone complains that imca charges for the stickers on wheels, a arms and other parts. Whats that 434 thumper cost under the hood? and the Brinn? and the lightweight gear? the toter home? stacker trailer? and your going to complain about $10.00? I look forward to Cotton Bowl going IMCA and the consistency it brings with it.

joe

Allow me to ask this question.If your home track is not IMCA sanctioned but a racer wants to run at IMCA tracks from time to time the simple answer would be to build your car to IMCA rules.Now the question becomes would an IMCA car be legal at your home track.In other words is there that much of a difference in rules between and IMCA limited mod than say an STS one?

Thank you for your answer.I thought IMCA SM were at a disadvantage.I have noticed STS pure stocks and street stocks don't compete well against cars from I-37 and TPS. The problem with getting those classes to a common set of rules is a ton of cars will have to be rebuilt either way.Hard to argue with changing rules where those tracks pull 15-25 pures a week.

Archived