American Muscle Car Auto Racing (AMCAR) at HMP

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope the class works out for the sake of the fans but its going to be tough sledding to get full fields like the trucks... If they do get full fields maybe Rolliepollie will make a few bucks...

Hopefully, all builders will make a few bucks and racers will have some fun since anyone can build one. Like we have said...this is the direction we are going and we are committed for many years. We also know it will take a while. Our expectations are conservative but we are 100% committed to this class. Some have described it as a form of a limited late model. Definitely less money than a pro late model.

radracr, I feel better now that I found my $2 problem after spending about a grand and 2/3rds of the day yesterday to figure it out... But she stays running now.. and I got to make some laps around HMP under power yesterday... Still "underpowered" for you BIG GUNS though.... I'm gonna start saving my $$ for a AMCAR cage.. The question is should I put it on a Frame I already have or jump in with both feet and get the Frame too... Looks tough to beat ???

Are there any places in L a you can run the amcars.

Not yet... The only place that is AMCAR right now is HMP. Hopefully the track in Monroe,La. (120 east of me) will allow them soon but as of right now they don't even allow Crate Motors.

radracr, I feel better now that I found my $2 problem after spending about a grand and 2/3rds of the day yesterday to figure it out... But she stays running now.. and I got to make some laps around HMP under power yesterday... Still "underpowered" for you BIG GUNS though.... I'm gonna start saving my $$ for a AMCAR cage.. The question is should I put it on a Frame I already have or jump in with both feet and get the Frame too... Looks tough to beat ???

Bell, it's not all about HP but it is about finishing the race - I've lost more than I've won because I couldn't finish the race. We've spent the whole winter figuring out 'stuff'. Look forward to racing with ya.

On the frame, the "intent" is that the fabricated frame should have no competitive difference than an OEM frame. At the end of the day it's all about budget. If you have the budget - go for the fabricated. If you have the frame - start there. To me, anything that has been fabricated has had a little more thought put into it - especially if it's for racing - than a stamped OEM piece.

We tried to make it out for the practice - but the garage floor still has pieces laying on it that should be on the racecar!!...lol...

John - just one more post to keep the thread at the top!!

Yeah I know that there isn't supposed to be an Advantage but a Brand New piece of metal vs one that has seen 20 years, 150,000 miles and pot holes, speed bumps & all kinds of weather conditions.... equals Tweeked ... but hey it might be "tweeked" in a good way ... "Budget" ???? where does that fit into a Racing Program?

Yeah I know that there isn't supposed to be an Advantage but a Brand New piece of metal vs one that has seen 20 years, 150,000 miles and pot holes, speed bumps & all kinds of weather conditions.... equals Tweeked ... but hey it might be "tweeked" in a good way ... "Budget" ???? where does that fit into a Racing Program?

Give me a 20 year-old frame that has been tweaked in the right direction over a new jig built frame any day. I even have mentioned a time or two in my suspension class that a "shop wreck" might be a good idea.

To me, this class is back to basics in that there will be no bumps, no tie down shocks and a suspension that's free to acutally do suspension stuff. As long as all the trick crap currently in vogue in the "upper" divisions is outlawed and the rules are enforced, a smart team can build a low-buck car that can win against the big-buck, store bought stuff. I think I have proven that enough times over the years - at least to myself and a few teams I have worked closely with.

IMHO a home-built car in the hands of a team that understands how suspensions actually work has no disadvantage to a Rollie Polli-built car. And if the frame you start with has been in a wreck and bent in the right direction - either on the street or in the shop - the home-built car will have a distinct advantage.

Nick.

I heard Big Race Promotion paid HMP to change the rules so they could have 7 more cars at the big enduro race in October at RPR. That tank of John Winnie's sure would make a good one! Maybe after it's value is driven down Graham will buy it. Anyway it sure will fix the advantage David Webster has. I'm just about done tweaking my AMCAR frame! Boyd and JC beware 360Motorsports is coming! By the way the same fixtures for checking the AMCAR chassis also check the OEM GM metric frame.

Archived