American Muscle Car Auto Racing (AMCAR) at HMP

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

BACK, BACK, BACK ORDER SLIPS.....!

I,LL GLADLY PAY YOU TODAY FOR A RACE CAR TOMORROW...........LOL

• 2 weeks later...

We need a class of cars that reach out to todays fans, youth and etc. The monte carlos and etc have their place in racing but its time for something that resembles todays cars. The times have changes and this allows you a late model type car that aligns with something that's on the street I hope it does well and I believe the rules are well defined in most areas. I think it will be neat to see cars, mods and trucks racing next year. There will be something for everyone once again.

We need a class of cars that reach out to todays fans, youth and etc. The monte carlos and etc have their place in racing but its time for something that resembles todays cars. The times have changes and this allows you a late model type car that aligns with something that's on the street I hope it does well and I believe the rules are well defined in most areas. I think it will be neat to see cars, mods and trucks racing next year. There will be something for everyone once again.

THAT 49 CAR AT SAS HAD A LOT OF FOLKS LOOKING AT IT ..LOOKED GOOD ..I MYSELF WAS IMPRESSED BUT EVERY TIME I WATCHED IT GO BY .ALL I COULD THINK OF WHAT THAT BODY COST AND WHAT WAS UNDERNEATH THAT BODY . HOW MANY OF THE REGULAR BACK POCKET RACERS GOING TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD ONE OF THOSE BODY'S /// HOPE THIS CLASS BUILDS .CAUSE NO DOUBT THE YOUNGER GENERATION WOULD MORE LIKELY TO SHOW UP A CLASS LIKE THAT BUT THAT ALONE IS NOT JUST THE ANSWER .RACING HAS NOT EVOLVED TO INCLUDE THE CARS THAT WERE BUILT OVER THE LAST 20 YEARS . YEP YOU CAN CHANGE THE BODY BUT UNDERNEATH IT IS STILL A 108 RWD CHASSIS WITH A CHEVY MOTOR . NO HONDA .TOYOTA .NESSAN ,AND THE LIKE .WHICH IS WHAT THE YOUNGER GENERATION RACES TODAY ..DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY FOLKS WHO WILL TAKE A 40 THOUSAND PLUS DOLLAR MUSTANG .DODGE .CAMARO .STICK A ROLL CAGE IN IT JUST TO WRECK IT ON SATURDAY CRASH FEST FOR FOUR OR FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ....I DONT ...AUTO BUILDERS HAVE MADE IT HARD FOR RACING TO KEEP UP WITH THE TIMES .YET RACE TRACKS AND RACERS HAVE STAYED ON PAR OF THE OLD STYLE CHASSIS CAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER AND EASIER TO REPLACE ....SLAPPING A BODY ON MAY HELP.. BUT UNTILL YOU SEE LT1 .HEMI .TURBO MOTORS RACING ON THE TRACK ITS GOING TO BE A TOUGH BATTLE ..CATCH 22...

I don't disagree with your thought but if you don't try something to help the cause the race track will become like the many that continue to shutdown yearly, asphalt and dirt. It takes creative ideas and planning ahead to fend off the loss of car counts. I see tracks where the same classes continue to get 8-13 cars, that won't keep a track in business and it sure won't pull race/class sponsorships. The trucks are still 108 wheelbase cars, with metric frames but with expensive bodies and they seem to resonate with the fan base. Trust me, I get the money because I own a truck and I understand the cost of running one out of my own pocket with zero help. I don't think it takes Nissan, Honda, or foreign cars to put fans in the stands and the smartest person isn't going to throw a roll cage in a 40K Charger unless its for a particular purpose. I still think you can reach out to this generation with American made products that look like American products and be successful. So far it hasn't been tried, until it fails I won't throw egg on the people working to improve their show, sponsorships and fan base. We all have our thoughts and ideas, it will be interesting to see how this works out.

I'm kinda on the fence with this idea... Good thing I've got a year to decide ;) I'm the 90 Stock Car & I've just spent around 7k going through my Monte Carlo and getting it back to the track. ( Even though I couldn't get it to stay running last night due to carb/fuel issues :angry: ) I'm from Shreveport, La. and didn't know anything about the AMCAR until I raced at HMP a few months ago. If I had known then what I know now then I might have done things a little different but I'm not sure. ??? Right now I can go 120 miles east and race at Revolution Park in Monroe, La. or with a few changes like tires & intake I can go 240 miles south to HMP. But the Legends and the current open motor Stock Cars are the only classes that can race at both tracks. Monroe races Late Models, Houston don't... Houston Races Modifieds & Trucks, Monroe don't... Unless AMCAR can get Revolution Park on board :unsure: then in 2015 if things stay the same Legends will be the only class that can race either or and I will have a race car that is only good for 1 track... or I can build an AMCAR which would take x amount of $$$$'s but would still only be legal for 1 track. (currently)

HiTech, That 49 car is nice and believe it or not the Bodies aren't going to be that expensive but if I understand correctly there will be no Hybrids allowed...?? So in other words I can't go buy the Camaro body and put it on in place of my current Monte Carlo SS body. You have to buy the AMCAR cage and meet all the AMCAR rules to run the AMCAR Camaro body. Don't get me wrong I "want" an AMCAR Camaro but even taking everything out of my current car that I can use like seat, gauges, fuel cell, engine, front suspension etc... I'm still going to spend about another 7K .... Time will Tell but it would be cool to see 15-20 Camaro-Mustangs-Challengers coming around for the green.

• 3 months later...

Every new sanctioning body and every new class of cars has to start somewhere. I'm sure Big Bill France faced a lot of critics when he and a few racing buddies put together their risky-sounding new racing series back in the day.

But HMP has a solid base and a proven track record and if you really look at the concept of what they are doing, the AMCAR program has a lot of merit. It will take time to take root and grow, just like any other new endeavor. But the management team at HMP has proven itself over time and I believe time will again show that they are on the right track.

So, instead of looking for the negatives, how about focusing on some of the positives?

Nick

Over/Under on how many posts until someone (not me) says:

"Nick wants us to maintain "Focusing on the positive"?

Okay, here's a "positive".

[edited out by Nick Holt, 2/7/2014]

I would have to agree...I am pretty good at "fudging" things up. However, HMP is committed for a minimum of five years to allow this class to grow. Hopefully, I will be able to sort through my "fudging" by then. Who knows maybe together, we will build a class that is larger and better than any class like it in the USA...oops...wait...we already did that. They are called NASCAR BWFS Coke Trucks and have some of the best talent in the nation driving them. Although, there were a few guys that seemed to wreck a lot that have since quit the class. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that, Scotty. Despite our on track 'theatrics' we always seemed to get along in the pits.

And I too am trying to keep it positive - with just a pinch of 'spice'...

I feel for Bell90a. Just some background, I started building my car in 2008. It's now 2014 and I am still spending money. If the AMCARs were around back then would I have gone that route? No. Because the trucks were and I opted to take it step-by-step in the Pro Stocks. A little here, a little there as by budget would allow. The trouble with the AMCARs is that, for me if I fast-fowarded my situation - you'd still have to go from a frame to a full-blown race car in a little over 6 months.

I wholeheartedly agree that a change had to come about. Unfortunately it comes with a price. I like hearing that HMP has a five year plan for the class. They put that much into the Pro Stocks. I only wish they'd re-consider and allow the phase-in process to occur over two years, rather than one. Maybe they will once they get a sense of how many AMCARs are there at the end of the season. If there's 4, maybe they'll reconsider. If there's 10 - probably not.

I'm going to take a stab at what it would cost to build one - like I did, in my garage: (I started to break it down but the post would be too long) - $18K. I think this is conservative but then again you'll find yourself at 360 getting nickel-and-dimed (no offense to them) for all the little nick-hacks you'd need. (Now, on the other hand, if you were getting wholesale pricing - on everything - that would likely make a difference.)

If you ran a G-body last year (2013) then personally I think you're 70% of the way there. You'll have to cut your entire cage off but at least you'll have a complete chassis and drivetrain. But you'll still be about $5K away.

I do agree with Nick - this is not much different than what Bill France did back in the day. Well, maybe one exception - you could literally run a 'stock' car. Ecos don't count. Sorry.

We'll all know in about 45 days...

By the way, did you know the wheelbase on a 2014 Camaro is exactly the same as a mid 70s A-body? Hmmm...

I just wish I could race my car this year at Hmp. Didn't race it last year , so its not grandfathered in. . So I have a car on a trailer. Might sell , or run the Texas grand , Halloween havoc and the 600 laper at royal purple. Didn't do to bad at the grand with the same car we ran at Hmp , with no changes.

Archived