American Muscle Car Auto Racing (AMCAR) at HMP

HMP Race Teams,

Houston Motorsports Park and AMCAR are proud to announce the sanctioning of American Muscle Car Auto Racing (AMCAR) along with a $10,000 Points Fund sponsored by Mitchell Motorsports! This new class combines metric stock car suspension with current production fiberglass bodies of the Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger. Economically and performance wise, AMCAR will be one tier below the NASCAR BWFS Coke Trucks and a great entry level into full size, V8 powered race cars.

In addition, racers at Any AMCAR sanctioned race track will be eligible to earn points for a piece of the Mitchell Motorsports $10,000 points fund. Tracks must be AMCAR sanctioned and run the exact AMCAR rules for racers to earn points.

This budget minded class will take the place of the current NASCAR Stock Cars at HMP and will be called the NASCAR American Muscle Cars. All NASCAR Stock Cars that race at least one race at HMP in the 2013 season will be grandfathered and allowed to run in the AMCAR class for the 2014 season only. Also at HMP, the Feature purse payout will be $600 to win and $100 to start.

In an effort to keep the class as affordable as possible, AMCAR has used buying power to negotiate with certain suppliers to keep racer costs down. Therefore, there are certain components such as the bodies, fabricated metric frames and cages that must be purchased directly from AMCAR or the AMCAR authorized distributor. All of those components are clearly identified in the 2014 rules and should begin to be available around the end of October 2013.

In the creation of the rules, considerable effort was made to use a common sense approach to an economical class in which a racer could either use an OEM metric frame or could also purchase a fabricated metric frame from AMCAR. The fabricated frame maintains the same pickup points, brackets, weight and frame centerlines as OEM. The advantage is that it will be readily available. In addition, the class utilizes many parts that are available off the shelf or in garages or on existing race cars.

Click HERE to view the 2014 AMCAR Rules.

Click HERE to view photos of the AMCAR Bodies.

In the near future, AMCAR will be releasing more details regarding parts pricing, Mitchell Motorsports $10,000 Points Fund breakdown as well as the purse details. If you have any questions regarding the sanctioning or rules, please give me a call to discuss.

Sincerely,

John Mandabach

Vice President & General Manager

Houston Motorsports Park

11620 N Lake Houston Pkwy

Houston, TX 77044

Direct: 713-826-3313

www.houstonmotorsportspark.com

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope it works out for you but I think its going to be a tough sell once the costs get factored in... Anytime someone was tried to say that they can keep the costs down by making you buying the item only from them usually ends up costing more than anyone thinks. Im wondering how much a roller is going to cost?

SAS racer hit the nail on the head!

That's what I thought, but after reading the rules it doesnt seem like that at all. Seems like it's OEM or the approved after market.

I dont know much about the trucks but, it seems to me to be the stock car version of the truck series. With the popularity of the truck rules I would guess this should do well. Hope it does. I'd like to see it!

Hope it works out for you but I think its going to be a tough sell once the costs get factored in... Anytime someone was tried to say that they can keep the costs down by making you buying the item only from them usually ends up costing more than anyone thinks. Im wondering how much a roller is going to cost?

Pricing will be out soon but as an example, the savings on just the body is over $500 alone because of bulk purchasing power. Love how we work our butts off to do something to help defray racer costs, design a more modern looking class and then work our butts off to find a $10,000 points fund sponsor to kick it off and the first comments are negative. Lately, that Must mean we are doing something right. lol. :P:lol:

Our goal from the beginning was too keep the cost down as much as possible. Ask anyone involved what my biggest complaint/issue/goal was throughout the whole process. Pretty sure they got sick of hearing it. :blink: Otherwise, it would have ended up with a ton more high dollar, go fast parts in it.

look the cars look cool but they are new so if we wanted to run we gotta go buy something new again. now take the truck class thats been around since 1999 update the rules for them like you did these cars allow a built 350 an a 4 speed cause ya dont now an you will have a better truck count. now look at how much money i saved everybody. when u say new class new rules new whatever it costs the racer more money. You havent figured out that the more rules you write the more money we will spend. there is already to many classes now. its all business an we all know youll get kick backs from it so whatever. i wont come down there anyway an its the closest track to me. (((((FIX THE TRUCK RULES SO ALL TRUCKS CAN RUN AT ALL TRACKS))))

an you will have a better truck count.

(((((FIX THE TRUCK RULES SO ALL TRUCKS CAN RUN AT ALL TRACKS))))

16? trucks on saturday, I'd say thats pretty good, because it was some of the best truck racing we've seen in year.

Why should HMP change their rules? Between Thunderhill and HMP, the truck rules in Texas hand't changed until CTS and SAS decided they wanted to change it up and allow manual transmissions. HMP's truck count is still very healthy, so why ruin a good thing?

Each car will be lined in silver too. Now who wants to complain that its not gold?

It's real simple. The trucks started here. We (racers, sponsors, hmp) built the class. We wrote the rules that got us here. Other tracks decided to change them. That's their decision and that's fine too. We (again...hmp racers, sponsors and HMP) are satisfied with the rules and car count and the class the way it is. Plenty of truck racers that like running here and don't want changes. Most complaining wouldn't come if we gave them gold at the gate. Just like to complain.

Real simple with stock cars too. Class hasn't grown in five years and we felt like it won't as long as using rules from 1987. We chose to look forward. Tons of interest already both locally and from more than just Texas. If you like it, jump in and have some fun with us. If not then we understand and wish you the best if luck in wherever you choose to race.

The trucks did not start there you did not write the rules for the trucks! If you were told by someone that they were well I got some land on mars I'd like to sell ya. I was there when they started the trucks along with others.

Now if this class was a new different class that would be different. But it sounds like a truck class with a car body.

What I was saying about changing some of the rules to allow several other trucks to come race there. But I guess 16 is enough for you. Just think if there were more though. I'm asking for some thought is all.

Cheek,

Can we expect to see you on the 28th of September for the Fiesta Fall Festival? Also, the trucks have had up to 24 trucks on the track at one time. Can you tell me what facility can say they have had better numbers?

I wish truck has set up for a long time an I had to completely redo it. But if I wanted I could not cause it now has a 4 speed.

In any business it seems there are plenty of people who will tell you what you're doing wrong and how they would fix it. But rarely are those same people willing to risk their own money to do what they are saying is the "best way"

If what your doing is not working, try something different. Pretty sound business principal I believe.

Truck class-Working

Mod class- working

Stock car class.....not so much.

The Stock Car class has been kind of floundering for several years now. Didn't they even make some exceptions in the rules so other cars could compete (thunderstocks/superstocks, not sure which) and still no consistent takers. This class may have run its course and it's certainly not drumming up much interest with new drivers.

Seems like most younger drivers moving up go from Legends/Bandos directly to the trucks.

IMO for NEW drivers, the truck series has gotten pretty intimidating over the last couple years. I do not believe many guys sitting in the stands would look out there and say " I think I will go buy a truck and race with these guys".

This is where Ill take my hits I'm sure.

This could be a class that guys watching would look at and say, I'd like to try that.

It also may be slow enough that the "real racers" (in their own mind) are "to good" to race. Much like the response when the Sportsman late model class was introduced at HMP. Most Super/Pro LM guys didn't jump at the idea. Possibly (in some cases definitely) because of the lower powered slower nature of the cars. However, there were quite a few guys who bought and raced these cars with limited or no experience and a few "not too proud" well known racers ran them as well.

The 1 limiting factor may be cost. I'm anxious to see the numbers. When people say it's too expensive, that usually means its too expensive for the one making the argument. Not a slam, just a fact.

Only time will tell if it is too expensive to work for HMP. There is a lot of money in the stands. Those who have it might be encouraged and drawn to spend it on the track.

Whitey not sure if those are your own thoughts or you have bugged my phone and office because I have been saying the same thing for months now.The trucks where at one time considered a entry level class and that is no longer the case. New racers will be intimidated by the truck class because of competition level. But the truck class is favorable because you don't have to build it out of a junkyard and you can recognize it as a truck when finished.

i have no dog in this fight , but at least the track has come up with something that could grow ...and boy $10.000 points fund sponsor ..what other track in texas can claim that .and its a start up class .that sponsor has a promise note on car you do not have yet i suppose ...i cant remember the last time we received a points check .maybe back in 1988 or so ..

No bugging, I actually had an original thought for once. I have only been to 1 track 1 time in the last 1 1/2 years and I don't really even talk to anybody involved in racing. No reason other than life has gotten in the way. I made plans to attend HMP last Saturday and was thwarted again. After that I swore off this site (sorry Nick)..........only made it from last Tues. till today. John's email with this info inspired me. I like the idea.

Besides, If I had it my way, I would spend John's money like this....................

Archived