Over heating

raceteam44

I have a sport mod with a new pro-tek triple pass radiator, engine bored 60 over. I have ran a four blade metal fan and also a seven blade plastic fan and still have over heating problems. With the metal fan it would stay cooler when running full speed but soon as the caution would come out it would over heat real bad. And with the plastic fan it would stay cool under caution but would over heat while running under green. I have tried the restrictors and now have a 190 thermostat in and that did not help. when I say over heating I mean it is getting over 230. What kind of fan do you think I should be running?

It may not be the fan at all. Of the two options you mentioned, the 4-blade metal fan is the way to go. How far from the radiator to the fan? How is your air flow from the bumper area to the front of the radiator? I've seem some sport mods with no air opening at all.

How much timing are you running, and have you made sure the dizzy isn't advancing at higher rpms?

Are you running too lean?

I'm not a fan of triple-pass radiators. I think they cause too much restriction. We have no trouble keeping our motor cool with a single pass.

Just a few thoughts.

The metal 4 blade is the way to go. You are not drawing enough air across the radiator at low speeds with the 4 blade. That is when your fan is needed. Sounds like an issue with fan shroud placement.

The plastic fan keeps cool at low speeds but with my experience the blades flatten out and become basically a wall at high rpms hence the overheating at high rpms/speeds.

I am running a six blade metal fan this year but I usually run the 4 blade. We have no restrictors, no thermostats, a good water pump, a single pass radiator, and a reduction pulley. I used a stock shroud then extended the tunnel out with plastic. My fan is inside of this tunnel with little room all the way around. The car runs 200 degrees while racing. It will run up to about 210 during a caution on long races. Many people say you want your fan half in and half out of the shroud. I have never had any luck with this.

Don not run any restrictor or thermostat with a triple pass radiator. The radiator already slows down the flow. If you have anything in front of the radiator to block dirt, you may want to remove it. I had a outerware pre filter in front of mine. When I removed it, the temp dropped 10 degrees!.

I went to the triple pass after I was having the same problems with the singal pass but it did not do much for me. I do have a shroud on it and the fan sticks out about half way. The fan is about four inchs away. And I pulled plugs and was running lean at first with 74 size jets, I tried a few others and now I get a dark plug with a 79 in it. That did help some but not much, maybe 5 or so degrees. I will try pulling the thermostat out and see what that will do for me.

I went to the triple pass after I was having the same problems with the singal pass but it did not do much for me. I do have a shroud on it and the fan sticks out about half way. The fan is about four inchs away. And I pulled plugs and was running lean at first with 74 size jets, I tried a few others and now I get a dark plug with a 79 in it. That did help some but not much, maybe 5 or so degrees. I will try pulling the thermostat out and see what that will do for me.

I had a similar problem with my car and my new motor. One of my fellow races told me to try going to use a colder plug. When I did the plug switch I gapped the plugs at 38 vice 50. My car with a single pass radiator runs about 15 degrees cooler, and I also opened up the front end a little bit and directed more air over the radiator with some sheet metal. Hope this helps, it did mine. Thanks John for the advise.

:ph34r: Cheers, Dennis :ph34r:

is it a 010 block?could be the block. 60 over.check radiator cap higher ###.I run a triple same bran,and I run a gutted out thurmo,30%reduction pullys.and im ducked to the radiator.i ran 60 over for years.the only time it didn't work was the walls were to thin.was it sonic tested.take away some timing.how big is the radiator?

Archived