Trivia

MUmscheid 51

Didn't that car get over on it's roof at SAS one year?

Yes, to answer your question. That car actually got on its roof three times with my dad driving. First was in chiwahua, Mexico first turn first lap of qualifying spun into tire barrier and rolled on top of tires. The crew stayed at the track all night repairing damage, started last in the race and worked up to third. I believe slick yoemans and Greg spreen were one and two. Second time wheels up was at sas when coming off turn two someone, i believe race ritchey, broke a motor and oiled track right in front of leaders. Dad slid into outside wall right at the back gate and the car climbed and rolled over. Dad said the flip was very gentle on that one but the bad part was the oil coming out of the tank behind him was running through the interior sheet metal and onto his back scalding him as he was trying to get out. My uncle, Carl Schoener, was crew chief for dad and was trying to get out there to help him get out and almost got arrested. Last time in a late model, he violently flipped a legends car later on, was the final race of I believe '94 at Corpus Christi. In 3&4 just got up a little high near end of race, slid into fence, climbed up and rolled down the bank. I believe he said that was the worst since the banking made it gain speed before the car landed on roof.

I'm sure JC can correct me if my memory is not exact since I was 10 in '94

Archived