2014 Rule Package for South Texas Street Stock Shootout Series

I understand the shootout is geared for the dirt cars. How much would an asphalt car have to change to race. With most asphalt tracks running a limited schedule there are alot of cars sitting idle til their next race. Just a question.

Well not sure but AJ and couple others prooved last week going from dirt to asphalt doesnt seem to be a big deal maybe its not going the other direction. I know we have been pitched the idea of adding an asphalt race at the end of the year for the shootout at SAS the last year and a half. I like the concept I just dont know what kind of money it would take to get those off the fence to actually do it. My guess is alot $$$$ to make it worth everyones effort.

Just brought it up because 4 of the cars at cts were cotton bowl streets. Figured if you got 4 asphalt cars from say cc sas or cts to do the same in the other direction thats 4 more cars added to the field in each race. Pretty sure what asphalt guys/gals spend in one weekend they could pay for an entire shootout series. Jmo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Front suspension:says stock style does not say for year make and model for chassis???.that could get very interesting

Stephan: When alot of the cars run sheet metal bodies it makes it hairy to use the words year make and model any ways. Like anything else if anyone tries to expose a loop hole I suggest they ask before they do. Might save alot of time and money!

After careful discussion and learning what is becoming available in the shock industry we have massaged the shock rules for 2014. We still are allowing alot of shocks we are now just more clear on what is exceptable and what will require a weight penalty. Please review.

We have clarified a few additional items in the rear suspension area as well. Also refer to allowances and those additions as well. Please review.

We will be concentrating on motor loop holes and gray areas over the next few days. Stay tuned for any possible adjustments there as well.

Sounds like a good thing going bad with so many rules and loop holes

Stephan: Loop holes are what we have been focused on eliminating. Gray areas and loop holes have been sent to us from drivers competiting and drivers that have not competed. As they are brought to us we determine if they should or need to be clarified or even added. We will continue doing so until we have no questions, loop holes or gray areas.

I would agree it seemed to be working great the way it was. Why all the changes? Was it not working the way it was? Cars from each track have a shot to win on any given night. The cars look equal to me. I hope we are not messing up a good thing.

Bo Beckner

75$ street stock

Stephan: Bo the changes that have been made hardly effect the the top drivers from each track. No where are we asking the top cars to remove parts and make changes, except for the mini clutch which should have never been added to start with. The goal is to make a set of rules that will give mid pack drivers a realistic chance of doing better without having to spend alot of money and upgrades. There are alot more mid pack drivers then there are top winning drivers and without considering those guys questions and concerns would eventually kill the class and series. There are some tracks that have not had fresh blood in the street stock class because of it being dominated by the same few drivers. Nobody likes to see the same driver win every race at their track or series. With cars interested in racing from houston and killeen area for next year allowances had to be considered so they could race competively and it being a choice to upgrade to better parts or dont upgrade and having a weight advantage. So keep in mind the top drivers will still be running at the top but maybe we can now have more cars running and trying for a top 5.

I think I would have to agree with you Bo. Hope we aren't messing up a good thing either.

#72 street stock

I would agree it seemed to be working great the way it was. Why all the changes? Was it not working the way it was? Cars from each track have a shot to win on any given night. The cars look equal to me. I hope we are not messing up a good thing.

Bo Beckner

75$ street stock

Stephan: Bo the changes that have been made hardly effect the the top drivers from each track. No where are we asking the top cars to remove parts and make changes, except for the mini clutch which should have never been added to start with. The goal is to make a set of rules that will give mid pack drivers a realistic chance of doing better without having to spend alot of money and upgrades. There are alot more mid pack drivers then there are top winning drivers and without considering those guys questions and concerns would eventually kill the class and series. There are some tracks that have not had fresh blood in the street stock class because of it being dominated by the same few drivers. Nobody likes to see the same driver win every race at their track or series. With cars interested in racing from houston and killeen area for next year allowances had to be considered so they could race competively and it being a choice to upgrade to better parts or dont upgrade and having a weight advantage. So keep in mind the top drivers will still be running at the top but maybe we can now have more cars running and trying for a top 5.

Lets make sure everyone understands the 2014 rules are simplifying what we are currently running under from a series standpoint. We are not asking anyone to upgrade or have to change parts. As a matter of fact you may find the rules benefit most more then ever due to the weight penalties that some will be taking on due to how their car was built and the type of parts being used. Get a good grasp of the base rules and then read the Allows that require the adding of weight. You might end up with your car being able to run up to 300 lbs lighter then others. From a track standpoint if a track adopts our rules it allows a track to pull cars from other tracks on rainouts and off weeks. Again drivers are not having to change anything but if they want to they can with a few weight penalties. A racer with these rules have more options then ever before also with the most possible cars. Regardless what some my feel good or bad for anything to work we have to consider the best options for tracks to get better car counts on their normal nights. These rules do exactly that and will give the techmen one set of rules that they can enforce.

The way it seems to me the techman will need Tylenol after arguing over loop holes and grey areas.hope it all works but as a chassis builder it looks like a lot could be done but the way your saying it will be a dq at the pad

Stephan: give us some examples cause if we still have loop holes or gray areas thats what we are trying to sew up.

Just to name a couple brakes,to me a forged lightweight 4 piston caliper is allowed or even a cut down hybrid lightweight rotor.another one rear 3 link any pullbar,torque link or even a torque arm legal??how about length or torque arm,length of panhard bar?is a biscuit j bar legal?

Stephan: No rule regarding brake calipers, rotors must be steel and cannot have any type of cooling hole.

Rear Suspension - on 3 links no traction control device (spring or biscuit) and solid top link no

longer than 36 inches. Pan hard bars may not be shorter than 26 inches and must be solid.

Let me know regarding any other questions, thanks....

Bo Beckner

75$ street stock

It sure is confusing when you reply on their post. You should add your own post and reply so it is not so confusing.

What is so confusing it says his name next to his reply and i think its better this way cause u know exactly who and what question he is answering that way no one will be confused on the answer of that particular question. Stephan u are doing a great job to keep Street Stocks alive and i thank u for that.

Hey guys just know I am open to listening/discussing rules or questions. Dont be afraid to post or pm me. I have answered alot of questions offline with folks. There is a ton of interests more so then I ever thought at this point. I am glad we put the rules out early so we can work through anything.

For the asphalt guys....won the 2011 South Texas Shootout after saying what the hell and deciding 5 days before the race to run. Changed tranny, took the windshield out and threw in some screen, bought a set of used G60's for a total of $80, and raised the front frame heights an inch. Oh and took out the mirror! Lol....

The only part I am still not convinced about is the tube chassis cars. Kinda getting away from the name of the series Street Stock......Basically a stock front clip leaf spring late model as a lot of the late models used to be. Much lighter with a light after market body, much more weight to add and can add the rear weight anywhere cause you have a lot more options. I have a total of 50# on my car and weigh over 3300 already. Gotta get to cuttin to get that low and I ain't cutting up my car again. Just don't seem fair to run this type of car against a completely stock metric. I think the weight penalties need to be addressed or maybe where you have to put this weight. I don't want to run any cars off, but I think more needs to be done to even em out

How are you gonna tech leaf spring mounts and angles? I cant adjust the front of my leaf spring but a tubular car can mount them anywhere. I don't see how this is gonna be teched.

Stephen, I commend you for your efforts and this is in no way an attempt to bitch and moan. I will run my car when I can either way and give em hell. Figured this was the time to voice opinions. Whatever yall decide I am just glad someone is doing something for street stock racing in TEXAS!

I agree with Greg cause there's already a couple Llm sayin that they can change one or two things and be a street stock and that's not fair to those that still have full frame cars as of both of mine are.

Stephan: Hey Kevin this statement can be said with any class almost. The fast pure stocks are a set of good shocks and headers away from running with alot of the street stocks. Hell some of the street stocks were previous pure stocks at some point. The top street stocks can put on some good tires and run well with the LLM. As a matter of fact I did it. I ran my street stock 2 years ago at I37 at the 1000 buck shootout Friday in street stock. Saturday changed to big wheels and tires, started last and finished 4th in the feature. I think if I would have been driving harder early I could have cracked the top 3. So yea cars can drop and go up with very little change and do well doing it. Again as long as a driver and team is doing their homework and getting faster you should have no worries who drops down.

I agree with Greg cause there's already a couple Llm sayin that they can change one or two things and be a street stock and that's not fair to those that still have full frame cars as of both of mine are.

Are you saying only factory full framed cars allowed ?There is no advantage between a tube framed Camaro or factory framed Camaro , as long as the front mount locations are factory located . They can be teched , just as a coil spring car can be teched . WILL TAKE A LITTLE HOME WORK FOR THE TECHMAN , but it"s doable . By the way , I feel a tube Camaro is heavier than a factory framed Camaro , no weight advantage here . Also , if you wreck a Camaro in the back , what do you do , Throw the car away or put tubing in it . Thanks for everyones input . Lets keep working on this and we will end up with an awesome set of rules that most will be happy with . Thanks Chuck B.

Greg we will be teching the location of the front leaf spring mount. We are building a jig that will make it very simple to tech leaf spring cars for stock location. If its not within a 1/2 inch its going to be illegal straight up. Same goes with a nontubular leaf spring car. If its more the 1/2 inch off its going to be illegal as well. One thing to keep in mind guys we have been racing with tubular cars this year and last. We have also been racing with 3 link cars for the past couple years as well. This isnt new just only a few are doing it and so far this year out of 3 races only 1 has won using a leaf sprung tubular setup. Keep this in mind guys this type of stuff is coming like it or not. Unfortunately its getting harder and harder to find full complete cars that can be turned into race cars. Body panels are almost nonexistant and if you do find one people are wanting an arm and leg for them. The limited class has gone through so many metric frames that those things are more valuable then gold. I run a stock 4 link gm rear chassis and have no problem keeping up with any 3 link or leaf spring car tubular or not. It boils down to home work and working hard with what you got. The allowance put in place will be an equalizer but it will not turn a losing car into a winning car. You still have to do your homework and make the neccessary adjustments to get fast or stay fast. Good luck guys and thanks for the input.

Greg we will be teching the location of the front leaf spring mount. We are building a jig that will make it very simple to tech leaf spring cars for stock location. If its not within a 1/2 inch its going to be illegal straight up. Same goes with a nontubular leaf spring car. If its more the 1/2 inch off its going to be illegal as well. One thing to keep in mind guys we have been racing with tubular cars this year and last. We have also been racing with 3 link cars for the past couple years as well. This isnt new just only a few are doing it and so far this year out of 3 races only 1 has won using a leaf sprung tubular setup. Keep this in mind guys this type of stuff is coming like it or not. Unfortunately its getting harder and harder to find full complete cars that can be turned into race cars. Body panels are almost nonexistant and if you do find one people are wanting an arm and leg for them. The limited class has gone through so many metric frames that those things are more valuable then gold. I run a stock 4 link gm rear chassis and have no problem keeping up with any 3 link or leaf spring car tubular or not. It boils down to home work and working hard with what you got. The allowance put in place will be an equalizer but it will not turn a losing car into a winning car. You still have to do your homework and make the neccessary adjustments to get fast or stay fast. Good luck guys and thanks for the input.

I agree with all of this , and would like to see a jig for coil spring cars also . Chuck B.

I think y'all are doing great with the class and the rules and making sure there are no gray areas. I have a coil car and I'm building a tube car so with y'all posting the rules and clearing up the gray areas it will help get the tube car done faster I'm hoping to make the 31st race if my work schedule will allow me to be in town and hope to make more next season so keep up the good work Stephen

Dwayne Markgraf 82

Stephan: Thanks Dwayne, I am working on jigs for both coil spring and leaf spring cars for next year during the week leading up to corpus. Trying to get this done asap so if any details need to be passed down to the racers on rules I can do it early and as soon as possible.

Archived