CRATE MOTORS

They tried that once before and it was a flop. This series lets everyone race . Crate will never work down here.

How many cars are showing up. Why not go to one tire compound only. It will be more affordable for everyone running the series. How many races do you guys have and where all do you race at. What does the points pay. I'm looking to get a late model.

We run only a d-55 tire, we had 14 show up this past Saturday. We have around 17or 18 registerd for the series. Don't remember points payout off the top of my head but its pretty good. We race at shadyoaks speedway, Texana raceway and cottonbowl speedway this year. I believe it's 15 races this year

I say go one more. have a cubic inch rule (364cbi) in a tube car and be all steel. no roller. if you make the motors affordable then alot of us would do what we could to get tube cars since our lite cars with clips arent allowed.. LMAO...There is a true limited late class that is a non crate class in south ga. Thats where we got our car from. They have 4 bar cars with all steel motors and a cubic inch rule.. And they are some bad fast cars. Watched a vid of a few of thier races and they have 10 or so cars always fighting up front. Just saying. make this small change, and your class will blow up like our class has.. hell, you might just see alot of us switch over to tube cars and use our motors now. There is a show waiting to happen.. Nothing against crate motors... But my motor that I built for half the price has more power than that crate motor. nothing to boast about but I have always wanted a tube car.. but that open motor is too expensive and the crate motor yet powerful is too expensive for my budget plus I can buld a steel motor that is just as powerful and I have full access to it.. JMO...

Drew,

You don't have to have a big motor to compete. There are only a few. Myself, my dad, the Kacir's, and Jesse just to name a few are not running open motors. The 69 car that won the points last year was a spec motor, which is a small cid, low compression flat top motor.

Drew,

You don't have to have a big motor to compete. There are only a few. Myself, my dad, the Kacir's, and Jesse just to name a few are not running open motors. The 69 car that won the points last year was a spec motor, which is a small cid, low compression flat top motor.

True...but I dont have a tube car either... I mean I do but its not tube front end however it would be easier to convence the boss to change over if we knew the rules were equal and affordable.... The thing for me is.. I just dont want to compete.. I want to be compeditive and since you guys went to open motor rules, we wouldnt stand a chance.. at least against the open motors... kinda kills it for the rest of us that want to know we have a shot at running up front.. I run a small motor also, but I know in our class its equal to all of the others. So for those who dont mind just racing its a good thing.. but there are others that want a shot at winning.... and moving up...

True...but I dont have a tube car either... I mean I do but its not tube front end however it would be easier to convence the boss to change over if we knew the rules were equal and affordable.... The thing for me is.. I just dont want to compete.. I want to be compeditive and since you guys went to open motor rules, we wouldnt stand a chance.. at least against the open motors... kinda kills it for the rest of us that want to know we have a shot at running up front.. I run a small motor also, but I know in our class its equal to all of the others. So for those who dont mind just racing its a good thing.. but there are others that want a shot at winning.... and moving up...

I guess i'd have to get a better understanding of running up front. 155 lead for a pretty good while at TRP before breaking suspension (that's his old sport mod motor). 36 is in second in points with a non-open motor (sorry don't have all the specs on what everybody runs, but it is a 355). I ran 7th this weekend (6th most of the race) with a RF shock hanging for the last 15 laps with the spring wedged between upper and lower control arms. The top 7 was 2 open motors, 1 modified motor, and 4 small motors.

The 15m that has won every race so far this season did so with a spec motor before, with a crate motor before that, and with a 2bbl motor before that.

We have a competetive rules package that is not going to change due to a good and rising car count. If you wanna run a limited class, run a limited class. If you wanna run a late model, build a late model, and stop expecting everyone else to change what they are doing to fit what you want to run.

I guess i'd have to get a better understanding of running up front. 155 lead for a pretty good while at TRP before breaking suspension (that's his old sport mod motor). 36 is in second in points with a non-open motor (sorry don't have all the specs on what everybody runs, but it is a 355). I ran 7th this weekend (6th most of the race) with a RF shock hanging for the last 15 laps with the spring wedged between upper and lower control arms. The top 7 was 2 open motors, 1 modified motor, and 4 small motors.

The 15m that has won every race so far this season did so with a spec motor before, with a crate motor before that, and with a 2bbl motor before that.

We have a competetive rules package that is not going to change due to a good and rising car count. If you wanna run a limited class, run a limited class. If you wanna run a late model, build a late model, and stop expecting everyone else to change what they are doing to fit what you want to run.

You got a good point. and back then I believe you had a motor rule too....Im sure the 2 open motors were the top 2 also.. Like I am sure they are every weekend. And congrats to them. And I wasnt asking anyone to change anything to accommodate me. I was making a point in the beginning to the guy who asked about crate motors. My point was instead of have multiple motor rules, why not just 1. And believe me if I had a tube car to put my power plant in I would have full confidence in its abilities. However, anytime someone says open motor rules, that can turn people away who doesnt have the pockets for it. Another reason for the crate or SUPR motor. . So back to my point, I dont expect anyone to change anything.. Its a long known fact that equal rules attracts car count. Hence the crate motor is equal, problem is they are alil spendy and they are sealed. So.. again...back to the fellow that mentioned crate motors...good idea... I think to make the tube cars more enticing to the lower budget racers...limit the motors....And yes KW..if I want a tube car I need to buy one. in the near future my friend...but it needs to be worth it...I dont get on here to battle opinions or bash people.. We all have ideas to make racing more competitive and fun.. Alot of people dont like hearing others opinons because they are bias to the group, or class or what have ya.. An open mind that wants to expand the racing scene is alot better than one that has a closed one and is afraid of change..

Points well taken. This rules package has changed a lot to accommodate all. The tire is a BIG equalizer. The weight and spoiler does make a difference.

Open motors this last race were 1,5, DNF. We only have 2 that run with us regularly.

The point with the 15m is that the guy turning the wrenches and the guy driving have more to do with the wins than the power plant. The last 2 races, we have all had more power than we could use.

I get what your saying about open motor scaring people, but those of us that run with the series know what it all equals. We also know that limiting what you can or can't run will keep car count from growing quickly, as everyone has to make sure what they have fits.

If you're not running anywhere this weekend come to Edna and watch. I think how close all of the different packages are would suprise you.

Points well taken. This rules package has changed a lot to accommodate all. The tire is a BIG equalizer. The weight and spoiler does make a difference.

Open motors this last race were 1,5, DNF. We only have 2 that run with us regularly.

The point with the 15m is that the guy turning the wrenches and the guy driving have more to do with the wins than the power plant. The last 2 races, we have all had more power than we could use.

I get what your saying about open motor scaring people, but those of us that run with the series know what it all equals. We also know that limiting what you can or can't run will keep car count from growing quickly, as everyone has to make sure what they have fits.

If you're not running anywhere this weekend come to Edna and watch. I think how close all of the different packages are would suprise you.

Kody... you are exactly right on equalizing. And again I dont know much about 4 bar cars but so anxious to try one on for size. And if what you say is true then I probly have enough in my lil motor to be somewhat competitive. Its not much but... would be fun...

Just for observational purposes and based on what I saw last year and this year in LLMs, there seemed to be a huge difference in speed. I don't know the changes made and the specifics of that and since STLMS doesn't run here this year, can't really put a gauge on the difference this year. That being said, I do hope this class grows because the one race I did see was entertaining other than that 15 taking off but the guy has always been able to drive any car I've ever seen him in.

This is awesome to have this conversation going. It shows that there is interest in the class ,and that is always good.

The crate motors were brought about as a way to equalize the powerplants in a class that can get out of hand with power very quickly. There are a few inherent problems with a crate motor rule from my perspective. The biggest problem is cheating. I have spoken to a very reputable rebuilder in the heart of crate territory and he said about every fifth motor he rebuilds has an illegal cam. You can buy the seal bolts for $300 on the internet. No one has a cam doctor around these parts to verify cams and the teching would become an issue as it did at Royal Purple when the class died in Houston.

We have a great tire rule with the use of some very hard tires. You have some options, but nobody has had an advantage with any particular tire. I personally inspected tires this weekend and saw just 2 different compounds being used in the top four.

I would love to add some dates to STS this year and will work with Owen to try and add some dates. They will be non points and have to fit in a schedule that has a lot of back to back dates. We also have to make up a CBS race due to a rainout.

As far as the open motors go, I have changed the rules to handicap them by adding 50lbs in front of the motor plate and 50lbs overall.

The 15m team has their stuff together. I for one have followed him around the track for five years. They have helped me on my car as they have on numerous cars on the track. I can assure you no matter what powerplant they have under the hood, they will be hard to beat. I have used them as a personal target , and know the day I beat them will be the day I have accomplished something in racing. The 2nd place car this weekend has a home built motor with spec heads that I personally rebuilt. This is not a high dollar motor. The driver was using every bit of his car and was on the 15m car's heels the whole race. 3rd place had even less motor and showed his 20 plus years of racing with a great finish. If you are not ready to race with these cats, I can't help that ,but they did a great job this weekend with only three cars not finishing the race.

Not everyone can afford to race a late model, that is why we have different classes. If you want to move up and can't afford to, I understand. If you keep racing what you have and spending money on the car you have ,it is very hard to move up. Sometimes you have to stop racing to get ahead. I have done it, and I am glad I did.

I have said before that I am in this for the long haul. I will always be available to talk about the class and rules at 361 648 2195 Thanks MitchyBobby.

I hope you guys do make it down here (STS) but know the scheduling is a nightmare and all of you will be traveling and for a non-points race, you'll be racing for pride and in a series type, I can see the logic in staying home and saving the car. Maybe try to get added to the showcase race at the end of the year possibly and maybe work for next season. It wasn't an attack on the series at all, just a curious question from a fan's perspective.

Just for observational purposes and based on what I saw last year and this year in LLMs, there seemed to be a huge difference in speed. I don't know the changes made and the specifics of that and since STLMS doesn't run here this year, can't really put a gauge on the difference this year. That being said, I do hope this class grows because the one race I did see was entertaining other than that 15 taking off but the guy has always been able to drive any car I've ever seen him in.

TOp Shelf, I think one of the reasons our class has gotten fast is everyone is figuring out how to get the set ups right. I run leaf springs so its easier for me to adjust but we all are getting our set ups down. The cars are lighter, everyone is equal motor wise, and we have learned to run fast and clean. But Im still the rookie...we all have learned alot and continue to learn.

This is awesome to have this conversation going. It shows that there is interest in the class ,and that is always good.

The crate motors were brought about as a way to equalize the powerplants in a class that can get out of hand with power very quickly. There are a few inherent problems with a crate motor rule from my perspective. The biggest problem is cheating. I have spoken to a very reputable rebuilder in the heart of crate territory and he said about every fifth motor he rebuilds has an illegal cam. You can buy the seal bolts for $300 on the internet. No one has a cam doctor around these parts to verify cams and the teching would become an issue as it did at Royal Purple when the class died in Houston.

We have a great tire rule with the use of some very hard tires. You have some options, but nobody has had an advantage with any particular tire. I personally inspected tires this weekend and saw just 2 different compounds being used in the top four.

I would love to add some dates to STS this year and will work with Owen to try and add some dates. They will be non points and have to fit in a schedule that has a lot of back to back dates. We also have to make up a CBS race due to a rainout.

As far as the open motors go, I have changed the rules to handicap them by adding 50lbs in front of the motor plate and 50lbs overall.

The 15m team has their stuff together. I for one have followed him around the track for five years. They have helped me on my car as they have on numerous cars on the track. I can assure you no matter what powerplant they have under the hood, they will be hard to beat. I have used them as a personal target , and know the day I beat them will be the day I have accomplished something in racing. The 2nd place car this weekend has a home built motor with spec heads that I personally rebuilt. This is not a high dollar motor. The driver was using every bit of his car and was on the 15m car's heels the whole race. 3rd place had even less motor and showed his 20 plus years of racing with a great finish. If you are not ready to race with these cats, I can't help that ,but they did a great job this weekend with only three cars not finishing the race.

Not everyone can afford to race a late model, that is why we have different classes. If you want to move up and can't afford to, I understand. If you keep racing what you have and spending money on the car you have ,it is very hard to move up. Sometimes you have to stop racing to get ahead. I have done it, and I am glad I did.

I have said before that I am in this for the long haul. I will always be available to talk about the class and rules at 361 648 2195 Thanks MitchyBobby.

Mitchy, this is reassuring to know that what we have may be compeditive. And I actually talked to household 6 and once I get more seat time in our car and I have some more wins under my belt we are going to get a tube car. CANT WAIT!! For me its knowing I have the expirience to get into the tube class and not trash it. I say that because I missed my mark last weekend and blew a possible win leading. So that tells me I have some more learning to do. LMAO.. ok alot of learning.. glad the class is doing well for ya!

Drew don't feel bad, a lot of guys were missing marks. Again, not as a bash but that was the worse I've seen STS as far as grip etc, but it was still fast and entertaining. You guys do seem to be getting faster in the LLM but I still think there's a difference in speed from what I remember of the STLMS type late model that came last year one night. Maybe the LLM cut into that gap, maybe not, I have no basis of comparison for this year. I do know it definitely grew at STS this year the LLMs, and most come from SA so yes, everyone is kinda getting into the set ups and tricks to dial in at STS and sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss. Landon was one of the most consistent last year and he seems to be struggling this year for whatever reason. A lot of the local drivers are near rookie status too so it's been fun to watch all of you guys learn and improve or find what didn't work all together and it seems like you're all happy coming since you are getting car counts.

Drew don't feel bad, a lot of guys were missing marks. Again, not as a bash but that was the worse I've seen STS as far as grip etc, but it was still fast and entertaining. You guys do seem to be getting faster in the LLM but I still think there's a difference in speed from what I remember of the STLMS type late model that came last year one night. Maybe the LLM cut into that gap, maybe not, I have no basis of comparison for this year. I do know it definitely grew at STS this year the LLMs, and most come from SA so yes, everyone is kinda getting into the set ups and tricks to dial in at STS and sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss. Landon was one of the most consistent last year and he seems to be struggling this year for whatever reason. A lot of the local drivers are near rookie status too so it's been fun to watch all of you guys learn and improve or find what didn't work all together and it seems like you're all happy coming since you are getting car counts.

Thanks top! I will agree with you 100% that our class has spouted big time. And I think its due to the limitations we have which allow for some serious dialing in. Our cars are alil heavier which can make it easier to hook up also.. The STLMS guys are lil faster due to the 4bar set up. The first night we ran here I had to get use to the wall being all the wat around so it looked so small to me and I was alil cautious. Now that I have found the highside grip it doesnt bother me to open her up. And your correct being slick in 1 and 2. I wasnt expecting it because it had never gone away that fast before. But a great learning curve for sure. I like STS.. way better surface than us SA guys are use too. Kudos to the track. And fast.. wholy cow is it fast. these ol leaf springs are loving it. Next weekend let meet and shake hands

Archived