new to TPS

Hello everyone, my name is Anthony and I'm going to be joining TPS for the next season of racing. I am a complete newbie at racing so I figured I start here to ask for any tips on building my car and getting everything ready. My car is a 1989 Ford Mustang and is currently still in total stock configuration. I will be starting from scratch and I'm getting pretty excited. Even my wife is on board!!

I have many questions on how to obtain some of the equipment and parts outlined in the rule book and I am hoping some local Corpus Christi racers wouldn't mind helping me out. So here goes...

Roll cage: I'm not a welder. But I do know from my drag racing days that I can order a kit and have someone weld it in place for me. Does anyone in Corpus offer roll cage building? Id rather get one made custom fit if that's a better route to go. Looking for anyones input on this one.

Windshield and back glass: keep OEM glass or upgrade to lexan...any input? I hear lexan scratches easily so that worries me a bit.

Carb: I will have to switch from fuel injection to carb..do many racers have to do this? I know a bit is involved but not too much. Mechanically I have the skill set, just wondering if anyone has had to do this and if they had any problems.

Rims and tires: well from the rules I have figured out that everyone runs the same tire. But rims, is everyone using a standard brand or anything...or is this totally up to me to figure out on my own?

I guess those are my basic questions and will get me started. I really appreciate you all reading my post. I'm just trying to build my car the right way so I can enjoy this with my family.

Ill be at the next race so hopefully I can meet some of you.

Anthony

there are several folks in the corpus area who know a lot about building these cars. my suggestion, attend the next race and spend time in the pits, help out and observe. you will learn so much in just that one night. welcome to the texas pro sedans

Ozzy-driver and owner #22

p.s. bring something to take notes

there are several folks in the corpus area who know a lot about building these cars. my suggestion, attend the next race and spend time in the pits, help out and observe. you will learn so much in just that one night. welcome to the texas pro sedans

Thanks Ozzy, I will be there!

Thanks Ozzy, I will be there!

. 8 .28 .26 .29 .17.ARE ALL LOCAL CARS ..............I KNOW LALO HAS A MUSTANG WITH A CAGE IN IT THAT I THINK BELONGS TO STEVEN .THAT MAY BE A WAY TO GO .EVEN IF YOU JUST USE THE CAGE ..AND SOMETIMES YOU WILL SAVE A TON OF MONEY BUYING A CAR ......ANYWAY YOU CAN CALL ME SUNDAY AT 290.2096 MIKE ..WE BUILD OUR OWN FOR OUR PINTOS ..BUT YOU CAN GET A KIT CAGE A TON CHEAPER THAN BUYING ALL THE PIPE YOU WILL NEED ...CHEAPER TO PUT IN TO WHEN YOU HAVE SOME ONE WIELD IT IN FOR YOU .

Anthony: The excellent member advice offered in this topic should be followed to save you time and money.

The 2013 TPS Membership form is available by clicking on to the TPS website:

www.texasprosedans.com

The form should be neatly completed and submitted to:

David Mackey

Race Director

Texas Pro Sedans

c/o 720 Shiny Rock Drive, Austin, Texas 78748

Office Phone - 512/280-4869

Cell Phone - 512/913-9364

d.mackey84@yahoo.com

Thank you for your positive interest in our 38 years old four cylinder racing organization,

Neil Upchurch

Texas Pro Sedans Publications Office Director

Hitech: thanks for the info. My original plan is to buy the kit and spot weld it in place and then have a fab shop or someone in TPS weld it in place for me. That way I can tween the cage the way I need it per the rules.

Ill try and give you a call Sunday. If all goes well we will be going to the track tonight to watch to local classes tear it up!

• 2 weeks later...

for your first year, it is almost always best to buy a used car to get started. it is less expensive, you can learn how to set the car up, and if you crash it bad, it is not the end of the world. This also helps you when building a new one from the ground up. You will see what you like/dislike about the current car and build around those preferences with a new one.

i would bet any of the local TPS drivers would be willing to help you find a good quality used car.

Craig

Hey Mike, will the #8 be ready to play?

This is the forth race of the season!

No more excuses! JS Lol

well i played the last race just on friday night though ..does that count car was running so bad even your blown motor in the 20 could out run it made me so mad i said the hell with it .jesse and i tried to get her to run right the day of the race just before i had to go to work .. found the brand new distributor i shipped in that week was junk ..the old distributor cost me three top threes last year and the new did nt even get up to speed .great huh ..plus i have redone the set up on the car only four slow laps on it .dont even know if i have that working good ... on last years tires so that isnt great ...my sons racing takes money to run ,so less for me ..but i promiss i will do every thing i can to make this race . i picked up the car today and have a few things to do on it .so we will see ...i really need to get this race in with out any problems .if it dont run this time its parked i cant afford to keep putting money in it just to end up in the infield ..sick of that and we are better than that ..pride and pocket hurts lol. i am not slow and the car is not slow just have to get all the eggs in one basket . and now i need a scanner the one i used last year went on the blink ..ill dig deeper in my pocket to see if i can afford one .if not start in the back ..

Hey Mike, will the #8 be ready to play?

This is the forth race of the season!

No more excuses! JS Lol

SERGIO AFTER TRYING HARD TO GET THE CAR TO RUN RIGHT AND WITH OTHER FACTORS THAT AROSE .I HAVE DECIDED TO PULL THE PLUG ..I HAD FUN THOUGH LIMITED TO THE RACES I RAN LAST YEAR ..I AM HAPPY TO KNOW I COULD STILL TURN THE WHEEL AND MASH THAT PEDAL DOWN AND GET SOME DECENT LAP TIMES IN ..I KNEW I HAD A CHANCE THIS YEAR WITH GETTING CLOSER TO ALL YOU TOP DRIVERS AND GIVE YEAH SOME HECK ..NOW ILL JUST LEAVE IT WITH KNOW AND KNEW ..TPS IS FUN .FOLKS DON'T REALIZE JUST HOW TOUGH IT IS TO RUN UP FRONT .THE CALIPER OF DRIVERS IN THIS SERIES ARE UN BEATABLE .IT IS NOT EASY TO DRIVE THOSE CARS WITH THE SPEED THEY HAVE IT TAKES SPECIAL PEOPLE .......PLUS EVERYONE IS ALL FAMILY .SO ILL RELEGATE MY SELF BACK TO HELPING OUT WHEN I CAN ........

Archived