CoTA fans?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014 provisional calendar leaked: Mexico si, New Jersey no.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109646

DRAFT 2014 CALENDAR

March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)

March 23 - Malaysia (Sepang)

April 6 - China (Shanghai)

April 13 – Korea* (Korea International Circuit)

April 27 – Bahrain (Sakhir)

May 11 – Spain (Barcelona)

May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)

June 8 – Canada (Montreal)

June 22 – Austria (Red Bull Ring)

July 6 – Britain (Silverstone)

July 20 – Germany (Hockenheim)

July 27 – Hungary (Budapest)

August 24 – Belgium (Spa)

September 7 – Italy (Monza)

September 21 – Singapore (Marina Bay)

October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)

October 19 – Russia* (Sochi)

October 26 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

November 9 – Mexico* (Mexico City)

November 16 – USA (Circuit of the Americas)

November 30 – Brazil (Interlagos)

Re: the asterisks by Korea, Russia, and Mexico...these slots are pending track or contract confirmation. That seems normal and expected for a new race. Looks like Korea might not happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out to the track yesterday and caught a bit of the first ALMS/WEC practice. Caught the new DeltaWing Coupe in action. I posted some photos on the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.7...4878&type=1

Here are a few of them:

60839_708663349148213_1814499097_n.jpg

296145_708663362481545_922499901_n.jpg

1010861_708667222481159_448362781_n.jpg

1237013_708669655814249_1902942680_n.jpg

I little too quick onto the throttle out of 11:

1236327_708669792480902_663384267_n.jpg

537018_708669429147605_1312164314_n.jpg

Mowing the astroturf approaching 10:

1233373_708669865814228_2145965016_n.jpg

535899_708669332480948_511979563_n.jpg

1240416_708668972480984_1172327747_n.jpg

Hot brakes into 11:

1236658_708668815814333_676537235_n.jpg

Wow. It's official. No V8 Supercars next year. No Separate Grand Am & ALMS/WEC weekends next year either because of the merger. So what's left is F1, Moto GP, & USCR/WEC. Am I forgetting anyone outside the Vintage Racing event?

http://jalopnik.com/texas-being-dropped-fr...s-sc-1362802764

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130921/M...PORTS/130929959

No Aussie Super Cars?!!??.....Whose brilliant idea was/is that?.....Would have been the only thing to get me out there......

My sources are telling me they had only about 2000 spectators for Saturdays races...Heck the TMS Dirt Track show had about 3x that many....on a crappy/rainy weekend, no less.....If they can't do better than drawing that few, that track is doomed to fail.....If they hadn't channeled all their efforts into pulling in the 'wine and cheese' crowd instead of making it financially impossible for the local racing crowd to attend.....they might cut it.....Guess they just don't want us rednecks there....#jackasses

From my understanding, it's supposed to be a temporary move. They want to pair the Austin race up with other races in North America, kinda like F1 does with their European stretch, the Asian races (today's race in Singapore being the beginning of that and going through India I think), etc in an effort to cut costs on the teams.

No Aussie Super Cars?!!??.....Whose brilliant idea was/is that?.....Would have been the only thing to get me out there......

My sources are telling me they had only about 2000 spectators for Saturdays races...Heck the TMS Dirt Track show had about 3x that many....on a crappy/rainy weekend, no less.....If they can't do better than drawing that few, that track is doomed to fail.....If they hadn't channeled all their efforts into pulling in the 'wine and cheese' crowd instead of making it financially impossible for the local racing crowd to attend.....they might cut it.....Guess they just don't want us rednecks there....#jackasses

Great racing all weekend, but I estimated something in that ballpark as well, and there were fewer people on Sunday. Track was lightly staffed & seemed pretty disorganized all weekend. COTA told Stadium People earlier in the week to staff for 8-10K people & we heard there were about 11k tickets sold. Announced 3-day attendance was only ~33K. That's not good, but there's no way there were even that many. That has to be ticket sales (including PSLs, free kid tickets, etc), not actual attendance. What many people don't realize is that the 3 permanent GSs only hold about 24K people. They were never more than about 10% full all weekend.

Re: the second bolded portion...I could not agree more.

After rain all day on Friday, the weather was stunning on Saturday & Sunday. I'm working on more photos to post. I'll let you all know when they're up.

AustinF1 my company here in Austin MCG graphics did the wrap on the 99 Bruno Senna Aston Martin the dark blue Aston.I was lucky enough to work with these guys all week and spend the Sunday WEC race in the garage with Aston crew.What a great group of guys and ladies

Very, VERY cool! Good for you. I spoke with Bruno on the pit lane last year on USGP Thursday. Very friendly & engaging young man. I always pull for him. Glad you had a good time!

I see that the USCR 2014 calendar has been released, with Austin in the same slot as this year. I really hope the WEC comes back too. The USCR will lose a lot with no P1s and the P2s neutered so the DPs can compete with them. I wanna see P1s in full effect. They were nothing short of amazing. If you didn't go see these cars in the esses cutting through traffic like it was butter, you really missed it this weekend.

Here's the "official" (notice I did not say, "actual') attendance figures per the CoTA press release.

First International SportsCar Weekend draws 33,591 to Circuit of The Americas™ -Rain plagues weekend’s start; sunny skies make for perfect endurance racing on Saturday and Sunday

AUSTIN, Texas (Sept. 22, 2013 ) – Circuit of The Americas welcomed a three-day crow of 33,591 to its first International SportsCar Weekend, featuring two of the world’s premier endurance racing series—the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) and the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón (ALMS).

Soaking rains on Friday, Sept. 20, made for an uncomfortable first day at the track, with only the hardiest of race fans braving the wet weather to check out the open paddock and day-long on-track action, including practice sessions for both ALMS and WEC teams. By Saturday, clouds gave way to sunny skies and near-perfect fall temperatures, allowing patrons to easily enjoy the two feature races, plus the exceptional access to teams and drivers in the open paddock, through autograph sessions, pit walks and grid access following the races. Additionally, fans enjoyed demonstrations by Formula DRIFT and Aaron Colton on his streetbike and popular kids festival attractions in the Grand Plaza.

Cumulative attendance for the three days was comparable to the Circuit’s GRAND-AM of The Americas event in March 2013, when 26,648 fans visited the track over two picture-perfect days. In 2014, ALMS will merge with GRAND-AM Road Racing™ to form the Tudor United SportsCar Championship, thereby uniting sports car racing in the United States under one common banner.

“We’d like to thank our customers and competitors for another great weekend of racing at Circuit of The Americas,” spokeswoman Julie Loignon said. “2013 continues to be a year of firsts for our venue, and to host the best endurance racers in the world, including drivers and teams who have competed in the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans, is a tremendous honor. With the merger of the GRAND-AM and ALMS series next year, we see potential to grow the U.S. fan base for sports car racing, and we have the perfect venue to do that. We also want to thank the fans who turned out despite the very soggy conditions on Friday. They showed how much they love motorsports, and we genuinely appreciate their support.”

I see that the USCR 2014 calendar has been released, with Austin in the same slot as this year. I really hope the WEC comes back too. The USCR will lose a lot with no P1s and the P2s neutered so the DPs can compete with them. I wanna see P1s in full effect. They were nothing short of amazing. If you didn't go see these cars in the esses cutting through traffic like it was butter, you really missed it this weekend.

How much are they losing? 3 cars?

It's my understanding that the DPs will be brought up to P2 speeds so that the P2s can still go to LeMans with out having to change their configuration. I guess we'll see soon when they release the rules.

How much are they losing? 3 cars?

It's my understanding that the DPs will be brought up to P2 speeds so that the P2s can still go to LeMans with out having to change their configuration. I guess we'll see soon when they release the rules.

I tweeted with John Dagys about it yesterday & he said it looks like they're gonna slow the P2s a little (heavier, LeMans aero package, & maybe steel brakes) while giving the DPs more power, a dual-element rear wing, diffuser, tunnels, & a weight reduction.

That's what I meant by the big loss...it's the overall loss of the P1s + the slowing of the P2s.

Archived