CoTA fans?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish the track well..as I do any motor sports venue….but you have to stop sticking it to people.

When you openly put the screws to people that carry a fans base themselves..word spreads quickly. When COTA sent that email offering a single day ticket, the writing was on the wall.

They may find it hard to convince the state to open the purse for future races since they are not meeting attendance expectations.

The said there was a 3 day attendance of 68,000

looks about what nascar had last night .....direct flo that is a direct statement .i will never go see a race or watch it on tv as long as the current thieves own the track ...not one race no matter who is running ..

They may have sold or given away 68K tickets, but I'm guessing there were not 68K people there unless you add up all the same people three times (over the three days they were there), include the thousands of free tickets that never showed up and count anyone driving past the track and trying to sneak a peak. I know a couple of media types that were given free tickets that they couldn't even give away!

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to shaft Tavo - and others - after all...

Nick

Note to CoTA: arrogance, greed, and a butt-load of bad karma created by the Tavo Hellmund / Kevin Schwantz fiasco's ... make for a steep mountain with slippery slopes to scale.

I predict more gloomy days and financial baths for the investors and brass @ CoTA.

Side note: IMO, the Ozzie V8 show was not that interesting. I was expecting the bumper-to-bumper, door slamming style we’ve all previously seen on TV. That’s what created the thunder from down under in the first place.

But it’s not the drivers or series fault. They did the best they could with the platform they were provided. They just need a more challenging circuit so they can showcase their sport properly.

Can you imagine these same cars grinding away @ Long Beach thru those tight, twisty concrete canyons?

Note to CoTA: arrogance, greed, and a butt-load of bad karma created by the Tavo Hellmund / Kevin Schwantz fiasco's ... make for a steep mountain with slippery slopes to scale.

I predict more gloomy days and financial baths for the investors and brass @ CoTA.

Side note: IMO, the Ozzie V8 show was not that interesting. I was expecting the bumper-to-bumper, door slamming style we’ve all previously seen on TV. That’s what created the thunder from down under in the first place.

But it’s not the drivers or series fault. They did the best they could with the platform they were provided. They just need a more challenging circuit so they can showcase their sport properly.

Can you imagine these same cars grinding away @ Long Beach thru those tight, twisty concrete canyons?

Karma, its a b*&^!!

I think these guys were more tame than usual due to the VERY short turn around between races. 45 minutes as apposed to 6 hours or more. they couldnt afford to risk having any damage. a few of the engineers mentioned that in interviews.

I went, I drank, I saw. Personally I had a great time at the track. It was my first visit to COTA and had not been to a race of this type since my days In Germany. I was impressed with the facility and did speak with a few of the crews of the SuperCars. Overall their comments were good and positive. I think they did a great job and if they were to come back I would make the trip again. I can see why folks say they will never set foot on the COTA curcuit, due to shortcomings of the owners. I feel the same way about that "clown" up in North Texas that owns that overrated football team with the "Hoity Toity" stadium. I will never set foot in that facility or give that man a dime of my money, even though my team is scheduled to play there this season. That's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. P. S. One more thing about the upcoming weekend. When you are out and about with the family & friends doing what ever is is your gonna do, PLEASE Remember what "Memorial Day" is really about. Thank a vet !!! God Bless America. Lenny66 B)

I got this from a reliable source who has "inside" Austin connections and wishes to remain anonymous.

It was HOT and with very little shade to be found - and water in a bottle was $7.00. French fries $8.00. Cheap T-shirts were $45.00. And we heard plenty of complaints about the high parking fees. They did put out fantastic trailers in their advertising prior to the event, but the actual racing didn't even come to living up to the hype.

And Austin American Statesman writer Kevin Lyttle gave the event a mixed review, but the most telling was this quote from a ticket broker which appeared in his story in today's AAS :

“We had lots of people selling and very few buying” Sunday, said ticket broker Jim Bragg of Dallas, doing business with his brother Tom along FM 812. “We got down to as low as $10 apiece, and then we finally stopped buying. We have a whole stack of tickets, some of them worth over $200.

“What we kept hearing (from fans) is there was too much single-file racing. Not enough passing.”

“A real snoozer,” Tom Bragg said.

Nick

I was expecting the bumper-to-bumper, door slamming style we’ve all previously seen on TV. That’s what created the thunder from down under in the first place.

You do realize they ran the short course, not the full course, yes?

if they were to come back I would make the trip again

I believe I heard them say they had a contract until 2016.....

water in a bottle was $7.00. French fries $8.00. Cheap T-shirts were $45.00.

Sounds about right for ANY major sports venue.....Not saying it's right(it sucks), but that about the norm....Parking at "Jerry's House" is even $75

The race course was actually very technical. The short course they ran provided great racing bringing the drivers back around quicker for viewing. You could see the whole course at the top of Turn 1. Passing down the front stretch and into turn 1 was spectacular. The sound of these cars was worth price of Admission.

Admission for Sunday was only $35 dollars and you were able to go everywhere. We were able to walk the Paddock during lunch and see the cars up close and meet the drivers and crews. Was able to get some awesome V8 Supercar shirts for only $25 dollars, same as the local short track or store.

Water was actually only $4 dollars at all the COTA vendors, but if you went to the Hospitality Tents they would give you ice cold water for FREE. The track even allows you to bring your own bottles of water for no charge or special fee. Water fountains were at every restroom to refill your bottles.

Overall, it was a great experience for a economical price. It's always hot in Texas so heat being a issue is nothing new, COTA didn't cause that.

Bottom line, Road racing isn't for everyone. It's not circle track its a totally different type of racing.

They kept dropping the price the nearer the event. As I said earlier, free tickets were everywhere and nobody wanted them!

Anybody who paid full price has to be feeling a bit ripped off a this point.

Nick

They kept dropping the price the nearer the event. As I said earlier, free tickets were everywhere and nobody wanted them!

Anybody who paid full price has to be feeling a bit ripped off a this point.

Nick

If you ever come across those free tickets to the Aussie V8 weekend again, keep me in mind!

This was the first Pro event there that I didn't go to. They don't seem to understand the racing landscape in Texas. I over paid for 2 events and got in as a guest of a team for the third and my budget was done. I knew a lot of people that attended this event and quite a few that raced, but, I decided that I had been gouged enough. I do agree with the Boernebullet, road racing isn't for everybody and there are ways to have a good time within a reasonable budget. I also agree with what most people think about the current owners, If they're willing to screw over the people that helped build the track and draw in the top racing series in the world, then us lowly peons don't stand a chance. Like many tracks around the country, this one will have a few different owners until it finally stabilizes and becomes a little more affordable. Until then I will have to pick and choose which, if any, events I attend.

I WOULD HAVE GONE TO BOTH EVENTS IF IT WAS NOT FOR THE OWNERS COUGH THIEVES ..I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SEE THE V8.S IN ACTION I WATCH THEM ON TV WHEN I GET A CHANCE ..ITS NOT FAre

TO THOSE RACING VENTURES BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS AND HOPEFULLY OWNER SHIP CHANGE WILL BE FORCED ...THEN I WILL GO .

You do realize they ran the short course, not the full course, yes?

Yes, but I think the long course would have been worse. IMO, these drivers showcase their considerable talents best in tight, twisty confines like Mount Panaorama (Bathhurst). Long flowing circuits (like CoTA) are best suited for sports cars and F1.

I hope I get to see the Ozzie V8's "live" someday at a proper circuit because these are some of the best road racers in the world. Can you imagine these chaps clawing down (or up) the corkscrew @ Laguna Seca?

But for those that went to the event and had a good time, well done!

Road racing isn't for everyone but I thought the racing was great. Softer tires would have made it even better. I sat in the general admission hill side right at turn 19. I could see the top of the hill in turn 1. All of the Aussie fans I talked to said that they were having a blast. They loved the facility and said the crowd was huge. The crowd was considerably larger on Sunday than it was on Saturday. The grandstand areas were pretty empty but most of the GA areas had decent turn outs.

As far as the heat, yes it was hot. My main complaint was there wasn't any shade. Track isn't even a year old and the trees haven't has a chance to grow tall.

I parked across the street from the track on 812 and paid $20 on Saturday and $10 on Sunday. I don't think you can really blame the track for the higher food prices if you expected to order off a McDonald's value menu when you got to the track. The food prices were a little high as compared to a local short track but seemed to be on par with any other professional event at a professional venue. For example - Spurs Games, Cowboys' game, Houston Texans......you get the idea. I hear people piss and moan about the prices for those events too. Is it cheaper from the house, yep. Was it cooler in the a-c at the house, yep. Would I pay to go to another V8 Supercar race at COTA. ABSOLUTELY!!!

I was part of the race that I had tivo'd. The stands looked empty but the racing seemed as good as it was live.

I sure wanted to get there but due to business and family time couldn't on an off racing weekend. I can say that the races seemed interesting as I watched on SPEED. I will add the cheap beer and close pottys at my home helped! Hope to get to F1 race to check out COTA!

Archived