TSRS @ Thunder Hill Raceway 9/25/04

Texas Super Racing Series @ Thunder Hill Raceway 9/25/05

Two Thunder Hill Champions Battle for win

In this years first appearance to Thunder Hill Raceway by the Texas Super Racing Series, all but the top five in points showed up for the non-points race and were joined by several of the local Late Model drivers. Bobby Joe New would set the quickest time in his son, Ronny’s car, but then roll an eleven for the invert, putting two-time Thunder Hill Raceway track champion, Tommy Gural and Charlie Turner-Jansky on the front row.

Gural got the jump as the green waved on the 18 car field, but yellow was quickly back out when Buck Basey got loose and backed up the pack. Hal Collins and David Snokhaus spun, while Chris Schild slid off turn 1 into the tire barrier. On the restart, Turner-Jansky spun and collected Ervin Breiten causing several others to scatter through the grass and infield. Just as green was back on, Collins spun to slow the action again.

As the race resumed on lap 15, THR Late Model Rookie of the Year, Marc Currey got by C. Schild for sixth. Breiten’s troubles continued as he slowed on lap 18 and pulled off. By lap 20, To. Gural had five car length lead, but that was erased on lap 21 when Ryan Englehardt and slid off track in turn 1.

On the restart, Jamie Fuller slid high allowing 2004 THR Late Model Champ, James Reeder to get by for third. Currey, Fuller and C. Schild were three wide, which doesn’t work well on the tricky THR track. Fuller ended out odd man out as he spun on the backstretch to bring out yellow on lap 27. As green was back out with To. Gural in the lead, New had moved up to fifth. Reeder was able to get inside Basey to grab the second spot on lap 32.

Currey and New both got past Basey on lap 34, New then snagged third from on Currey. Coming to halfway To. Gural and Reeder were run down by New, with with Currey and Basey rounding out the top five. To. Gural was able to get a small edge on Reeder, while New increased his lead on Currey for third.

Currey’s chance at a top finish ended on lap 47 when he slowed and began to fall back with problems. With 25 to go, the top three had built a good lead over Basey and Leland Waddell. Waddell and Basey then battled side by side for the fourth spot on lap 52 with Waddell getting the position. New then began to pressure Reeder for second giving To. Gural the chance to get some breathing room.

Ian Webster and Englehardt picked up spots on lap 54 when they passed Basey for fifth and sixth. New continued to hound Reeder for the runner-up spot on lap 60. Reeder would get a little loose giving New the inside lane, but New was unable to take advantage. While Reeder and New scrapped it out for second, To. Gural was loving it building a lead.

On lap 70, To. Gural had a six car advantage over Reeder and New who were still battling, with a big gap back to Waddell in fourth. Coming to the checkers it was the 2000-2001 THR Late Model Champ and three time Stock Car Spectacular champ, To. Gural taking the victory in his TORCO Oil/Steve Chapman Motors/Austin Mobile Marine Service/Terry’s Body Shop/ARP Bodies/Gural Chassis.

*** Results unofficial****

1 9 Tommy Gural

2 41 James Reeder

3 1 Bobby Joe New

4 28 Leland Waddell

5 53 Ryan Englehardt

6 13 Ian Webster

7 98 Robert Elizondo

8 3 Buck Basey

9 11 Brian Schild

10 77 Charles Buxton

11 05 Marc Currey

12 43 Jamie Fuller

13 7 Chris Schild

14 40 Hal Collins

15 71 Charlie Turner-Jansky

16 03 David Snokhaus

17 25 Teresa Gural

18 Ervin Breiten

Missing from final finish is Ricky Gavin

Steve Sims-DNS after suffering new car blues

Michael Cullen--DNS

Well that seems to what everyone has to say about officials at any track or with any series. We can't win for nothing.We're all blind.Maybe you would like to volunteer for the job some weekend with TSRS. We at THR have asked for volunteerss at time. I believe this weekend we had 2 of our Street stock drivers in the infield with our corners workers. Maybe they might come on here and give some insite as to there thoughts on that job now.

Bug,

THR is not the person's that need to answer this questin.. Kathy is THR.. Mary-Ann is TSRS.. TSRS had their own officials present on on their own radio calling that race.. Honestly I saw the spin however don't have a TSRS radio inorder to hear the call.. Give it some time and I am sure someone with the series can clear up your confusion..

Believe it or not thats an honest answer!!

Guest texracer

Bug, racing is not the NFL there is not instant replay. I dont agree with the 05 hitting my lt rear wheel and spinning me out and only me going to the rear, but that is the call of the officials. Maybe TTOPA can vote for instant replay for next year and then if wrong calls were made I'm sure all officials would reverse them.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. DID NOT KNOW WHY THR WAS TRYING TO ANSWER THE QUESTION. THEY WERE NOT THE OFFICIALS.

WAITING. :)

While you pose your complaint about a particular call made during the TSRS race as a question, it is still a complaint about a particular call. If you have a question about a particular call, please take it up with the officals who made the call

If you go to the TSRS website there is contact information for most, if not all, of the TSRS officials.

Nick Holt

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

I don't know what the question is, maybe I am just really tired, I have read this thread three times now and I do not see what the question is. It is very late and I am just now getting to check out TSZ since the race, what is the question and who asked it?

from what I saw in the stands the 3 car was at the left rear tire. who had the lane.

Ah yes, the age-old racing question...

"Who's lane is it anyway?" or, to put it another way, "When must the driver in front yield the line to the driver attempting to pass?

Seems there will be no professional response

Actually the question was answered.

Chuckman said

In the drivers meeting the TSRS officials said if you break the plain, get past the back

bumper, you have the line. If the car on the outside turns down on you that car will

be put to the back ,if it brings out a caution.

And that is absolutely correct.

We, TSRS, have an official in each corner in the infield. Their input is asked for as well as any other official that might have seen the incident before a judgement is reached.

So we had eyes a bit closer than "from the grandstands".

I will tell you this. As an official, you are guaranteed to be wrong 50% of the time. Because there are always two drivers in an incident, and the other driver is always at fault. ALWAYS.

As Nick is so fond of saying,

the two drivers are the only two people that truly know what happened

Everything else is purely a judgement call. We do the best we can.

Bill “Sarge” Masom, TSRS Announcer

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel.

my aren't we angry, is there something that the officials did not see? For your information I did not go and piss on a perfectly good report, it was incorrect from what ever point of view you want to look at it go ahead and get the raid or the off it still does not change what a lot of people saw :angry:

i always thought that the person in front has the line until the driver behind gets their front tire to your driver door, or passenger door if passing on the outside............if the 3 had nothing past the 71 then how did she spin...........seems like the 3 would have had at least been past the bumper to spin her out unless she lost it herself which wouldn't be the 3 cars fault........jmo

Archived