Cheating, WHY?

As a new fan I was very disappointed to find out that racing at San Antonio speedway was a sham. What I mean is that I have a friend that races and barely scraps bye to put his car together, to do what he enjoys, racing. When I found out on the last race of the season that Smith's car had an illegal transmission and was DQed [Edited out by Nick Holt. 9/22/04] What the hell are these guys racing for if you need to cheat to win? How many other wins did they falsely win? And what about the guys that do it right that don't cheat, that never get the chance to shine because Cheaters foul up their chances. I think NASCAR should do an investigation into the events that took place on the last night of racing as well as the entire season. Also, SAS should give an apology to all the fans that paid hard earned money to support the track and all the racers, for allowing this type of crap to go on. This is all just a bunch of B.S. congratulations to all of you that do race right with out cheating, and we all need to rally behind and push these cheating losers out of this great sport. I welcom any and all comments and responses.

As a new fan I was very disappointed to find out that racing at San Antonio speedway was a sham. What I mean is that I have a friend that races and barely scraps bye to put his car together, to do what he enjoys, racing. When I found out on the last race of the season that Smith's car had an illegal transmission and was DQed [Edited out by Nick Holt. 9/22/04]  What the hell are these guys racing for if you need to cheat to win?  How many other wins did they falsely win? And what about the guys that do it right that don't cheat, that never get the chance to shine because Cheaters foul up their chances.  I think NASCAR should do an investigation into the events that took place on the last night of racing as well as the entire season.   Also, SAS should give an apology to all the fans that paid hard earned money to support the track and all the racers, for allowing this type of crap to go on. This is all just a bunch of B.S. congratulations to all of you that do race right with out cheating, and we all need to rally behind and push these cheating losers out of this great sport.  I welcom any and all comments and responses.

Newfan,

You might be overreacting just a bit. Not that I condone it, but stretching the rules in stock car racing is as old as the sport itself. The late Smokey Yunick, who became a NASCAR legend, made a career out of creatively interpreting the rules. And Richard Petty won one of his most important victories in a car with an oversize engine! And I dare say that nearly every stock car team in the good old USA has fudged somewhere, or at least seriously thought about it.

And not that they condone it either, but don't hold your breath waiting for that NASCAR investigation and I imagine that the track management will not be banning any of the teams you mention any time soon.

Finally, while cheating is a legitimate topic for a forum like TSZ, accusing track officials of playing favorites and calling someone who has not been caught cheating a cheater are simply bashes and have been removed from your post.

Nick Holt

Newfan

Since when has any sport been played fair? Like Nick said it's not that any of us condone cheating but we all know there are always going to be a cheater(s) in every sport. This was my first year racing and let me tell you it was expensive. I blew my first motor before the season began and like everyone else I scraped by to pay for the second one. The second one was built right and just because I had a fast car I was accused of cheating..............that did not sit well with me! You can cheat to win or build it right the first time, if someone cannot aford to buy the best parts etc. to build a race car then they are setting themselves up for dissapointment because unfortuantley the cheaters and the non cheaters with good cars are going to win. Whats funny about all of this is I have seen the non cheaters (no names mention to protect their identity) beat the cheater(s) who ended up in 1st and 2nd place in the LM points (did I just give them away?). I know you are frustrated on your friends behalf and trust me I have been watching my brothers go through this for years but try to help your friend out and talk to people you know who owns a business and wants to sponsor, every little bit helps. I hope you stick around as a fan and see what racing is really all about come next season. Good luck to your friend!

Guys,

Jason Smith is NOT Cheater. He made a mistake on a part that does not help you run faster. Quit calling him a cheater. Plus, watch out for him next year. I bet the problem will be fixed. Why are you so hard on Jason. Jason is very nice to all the fans and a First class person. SO easy on the CHEATER PART, everyone makes mistakes.

bigfandale,

I'm seeing your post all over TSZ asking to take it easy on Jason. My comments are not being directed at Jason, they are being directed at the people who cheat. I agree Jason is a good guy, no one said he isn't however he made a decision that not only caused him to lose something he worked hard at trying to get but he also raised a concern among, fans & drivers. He is not the only one who has been caught, we all remember Larry was snagged this year too but he bounced back and I have no doubt Jason will do the same. Don't you know racing is like a soap opera, the drama will continue until it gets old. Give it some time and we will all put this behind us untill the next person gets caught. If anyone can learn anything from this it would be I wouldn't want my name on the list so lets do it right the first time.

Kelly

bigfandale,

This is not meant to be a shot at Jason, but he was caught with illegal parts on his car. That is, by definition, Cheating. Therefore, technically, he is a cheater. No matter how nice a guy he is (and I have no reason to believe he isn't a nice guy...).

Just my $.02

Rosie

Edit: Nick, we need spell check (At least some of us do!!)

I understand what your are saying. But when Larry got caught no one called Larry a Cheater. And Larry is not. Larry is a great guy and one of the best divers to ever drive at SAS. It just seem that everyone is coming down on Jason Smith. (FYI, Larry did not cheat, Larry made a mistake (a little one at that) that did not cause his car to go faster. Same thing with Jason Smith. But Jason had an illegal part and he is paying the price.) I believe Jason will come back in Oct fest (with the RIGHT part in his Trans) and still be a top three car.

Jason if you are reading this; Keep you Head up because you have a Bright future ahead of you.

Larry if you are reading this; You the MAN congrats. Your One of the best Drivers that I have ever seen at SAS. And Thank you for all of the years you have race at SAS. Your the Godfather of San Antonio Speedway.

you keep saying that the trans part doesn't make him faster but you're wrong............it reduces his rotating mass the same as a lightened crank would.............if it doesn't make him faster than why would he have lightened it in the first place........it might not be a huge gain but every ounce of weight you reduce from your rotating mass helps, so it does make him faster.......i like jason and would have liked to see him win the championship because he's a hell of a nice guy and is always a fan favorite, but sh$$ happens and there is always next year............

WOW - It didn't know SAS was a sham! News to me. I don't beleive they let any CR$$ go on - they investigated and acted accordingly. I agree with Nick Holt - you are totaly overreacting. Being that your new to the sport as you said, maybe you should sit back and learn a little before you go around bashing SAS and some the of the hard working racers out there.

It's racing lighten up a little - let the drives hash it out

I don’t think being disqualified makes one a cheater. For example, I remember last year when Ronnie New was DQ’d for a frame height violation. He didn’t intentionally run it low, he was in tech measuring it before the race, it just came back low and he paid the price. Does that make him a cheater?

In my opinion intentionally breaking the rules such as a running a lightened crank or dipping tires or using an illegal carb is cheating. But then there is always the excuse, “I didn’t know”. Well, if you don’t know the rules and you don't know what is on your car and you are caught, which would you rather be called, a fool or a cheater?

Winners never cheat and Cheaters never win.

Guest RobCarter88

This is not his first DQ. Once was an illegal carb, now this. Its part of the game, noone thinks any less of him, but a spade is a spade. He is a nice guy, fans like him. He is only cheating himself and other racers by doing this. I dont think any one is pissed over this other than the guys he races against.

I feel that if you know the part is illegal, you buy it, you put it on the car, you are a cheater..I wonder if he bought it like that , or built it. Anyway, he was found to have a bad part---->so the rest is history...

Cheaters often win, Real winners are cheated out of it.

TomH

Archived