What was the Clown's Name that used to be at SA Speedway?

fastmontgomery15

I HOPE I DIDNT DREAM THIS UP BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THERE WAS A MAN THAT PLAYED A CLOWN AT SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY? I WANT TO SAY IT WAS IN THE LATE 70S EARLY 80S. I THINK I REMEBER HIM DRIVING THE BUGGY AROUND AND HE WOULD DO TRACK CLEAN UP AND WOULD PUSH THE CARS WHEN THEY WOULDNT START. HE ALSO WOULD DO SOME MC WORK WITH THE TRACK ANNONCERS. DOES ANYONE REMBEMER HHIS NAME?

That was Elmer Gene Suggins... also known as Wynn Wilkerson.

A legend.... hands down one of the best entertainers we have ever had. He still comes around sometimes. "The Bubble Gum Express" was his ride. First a Beetle that rolled at Speed O Rama then a mini dirt late model built by my man Donnie Moore.

Discovered by Jake Wallace & Mary Ann..

I HOPE I DIDNT DREAM THIS UP BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THERE WAS A MAN THAT PLAYED A CLOWN AT SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY? I WANT TO SAY IT WAS IN THE LATE 70S EARLY 80S. I THINK I REMEBER HIM DRIVING THE BUGGY AROUND AND HE WOULD DO TRACK CLEAN UP AND WOULD PUSH THE CARS WHEN THEY WOULDNT START. HE ALSO WOULD DO SOME MC WORK WITH THE TRACK ANNONCERS. DOES ANYONE REMBEMER HHIS NAME?

I worked with Wynn Wilkerson a few years back and is a real great guy. Never knew him as Elmer gene but he had some great stories and really lit up when eve he talked about it

WELL I QUESS I DIDNT DREAM IT UP. I HAVENT HEARD ABOUT HIM AND I COULD REMEBER HIM RIDING ON THE DOORS OF RACE CARS AND HE EVEN HAD A BIKE OUT THERE AT TIMES I COULD REMEBER HIM TAKING PICTURES WITH THE KIDS AND TEASING THE RACE CAR DRIVERS. CAN YOU GUYS TELL ME WHEN THAT WAS?I`M JUST SUPRISE I HAVENT SEEN ANY STORYS ABOUT HIM ON SPEEDZONE.I`M HEARING THERE MAY BE A NEW CLOWN IN TOWN HIS NAME IS "SPARKY MONTGOMERY"! AND HE MAY BE HANGING WITH "THE CANDYMAN" CREW! SOMETIME THIS YEAR. :lol:

Oh, you mean the actual clown; big red nose and floppy shoes. Whew, my first thought was Nick Holt, my second was J.M. Hallas.

LOL

My nomination for "Post of the Year"...

Agreed :lol:

Oh, you mean the actual clown; big red nose and floppy shoes. Whew, my first thought was Nick Holt, my second was J.M. Hallas.

LOL

Actually, at first I thought the post was about some of the previous promoters, but like Sarge, I was relieved to find out he meant the actual clown!

o i thought u guys meant pt barnum the 1 that bought the serieses an ummmmm#@%&%%$#$@@@ em in the ground lol he would stand in he front stretch an revved up a hu rhaaaaa lol he was a good clown an didnt need to wear a funny suit an floppy shoes but was a good laugh those were the good ole days o wait was i dreamin too

I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of Elmer Gene in action, e.g., skiing on a tire on the track, etc., that they can post for those who may remember him . . . to actually see what this thread is all about . . . this "racing legend" that they may not have known or seen. I am one of the fortunate ones who remembers his crazy antics, and my kids (30+ year-old daughters) remember him well also. But, unfortunately, I don't think I have any pictures to shar

Archived