Texas Stock Car Spectacular Preview

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sept. 21, 2004

Eyes of local racing focused on Thunder Hill this Saturday

The “best of the best” in Texas auto racing touring series highlights a huge weekend of racing this Saturday, Sept. 25 at Thunder Hill Raceway (THR) in Kyle, as THR runs its 8th Annual Texas Stock Car Spectacular.

The ROMCO Super Late Model Series headlines a night where seven classes will compete in Thunder Hill Raceway’s annual postseason bonanza of racing. The ROMCO series will be joined by the Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS), the AllStar Race Trucks Series (ARTS), the Texas Asphalt Modified Series (TAMS), the Texas Pro Sedans, the Allison Legacys and the Texas Dwarf Cars.

Capital City Trade & Technical School (CCTTS), one of THR’s major sponsors, will also enjoy a “Night at the Races” on Saturday. Tatum Long (CCTTS Director of Career Services) and crew will share information about CCTTS. Some organizations are expected to disburse giveaways among the expected large crowd at THR.

The Grand Marshall for the night will be Hays County Judge Jim Powers, who will be flown into the infield via helicopter to start the full night of racing.

Some notes for the 8th Annual Texas Stock Car Spectacular on Saturday: Pit gates open at 9 a.m.; grandstand gates open at 4 p.m., the same time that qualifying for all classes starts; the concessions stands (run by Circle Track Smokers of Cedar Park) open at Noon; admission will be $20 for adults, $10 for kids 6-12 and kids under 6 will get in free; Opening Ceremonies will start at 6 p.m., one hour earlier than normal for a Saturday night racing event at THR.

Practice for the Spectacular will be held this Thursday (from 3 p.m. to dark) and Friday (Noon to dark). An official announcement about a possible rain date for the Spectacular is expected by Thursday evening.

Thunder Hill Raceway is a 3/8-mile asphalt oval track located at exit 210 (Yarrington Road) off IH-35 in Kyle. The racing season at THR runs March through October. The track is just 10 minutes north of San Marcos and 15 minutes south of Austin. Interested parties can check out the track’s new web site (www.thunderhillraceway.com) or call the track at (512) 262.1352.

- 30 -

I am taking what you are saying very personal. I have worked in the pit office for 2 years now and I can say that we always open it on time.

Last year Mary Ann asked if we could open earlier and she paid me extra to do just that.

Sometimes people go into the pits to park rigs. Well then we have to wait until everyone gets out before we will open.

So, maybe this year I will make sure no one gets in until we open.

j.j.&s. - maybe you could be more specific. Here's my experience - when they say pit gates open at 2:00, you can set your watch by them. They don't open any sooner or later - 2:00 on the dot. So what's the problem with doing what they say they'll do?

cs

I JUST HOPE THEY ARE THERE AT 9.00 TO LET EVERYBODY IN .[deleted by Nick Holt, 9/22/04]

j.j.&s.,

I'm not quite sure how much experience you have with THR and Kathy...

But I, too, was offended by what you said. As Chase put it, you can "set your watch" by our pit gate. Kathy T. and her crew are EXTREMELY efficient in what they do. When Kathy says she'll be open at 9 a.m., that means she'll probably be there no later than 8 a.m. to make sure things are set--and that they're open by 9.

Don't be offended by what we're saying J.J. & S., especially if you've never been associated with THR. We are just VERY proud of what Kathy and her crew does over at the Pit Window.

On another note...

I just got a call from Brian. He said that Joey and the Circle Track Smokers (our track's concessionaires) will have Catfish Plates, with all the trimmings, available for sale during practice on Friday.

Joey and his crew will be grilling/prepping BBQ all day on Friday so it's fresh on Saturday. If you've ever had the food here at THR, you know Joey and the Circle Track crew make some of the best food ever offered here at THR...

Thanks...

last time i raced at thr i was in line for 45 min. not trying to piss anybody off. just that time is not on our side on this one.we only have a 1 hour 40 min till our first practice. john henry

Waiting in line due to the large number of cars trying to get into the pits at the same time is a whole lot different than saying that the pit gate didn't open at the scheduled time.

There are three windows at the THR pit gate and Kathy has published which line people need to be in to help speed up the process. Which line do you need to be in??

Yes, with that many cars time will be an issue all day. But, if you get there at 9:00 and wait in line for 45 minutes, that means you have 55 minutes to unload and get ready for your first practice.

Let's all work together to pull of a smooth 2004 Spectacular and good luck to all the competitors.

Nick Holt

Hey gang...

Hotmail email has been a pain lately, and there are some timing issues..

Earlier this morning I sent out a press release about the rain date for this Saturday's races at THR..

Assuming that it arrives sometime tomorrow, I will let Nick post it when he gets it...however, just to get the basic info out NOW...

The official rain date for this Saturday's 8th Annual Texas Stock Car Spectacular will be Oct. 2...yes, that's the same night as the A-Line Auto Parts Night at the Races, and the big Hobby Stock and Street Stock races...

Basically..ROMCO, ARTS, TAMS, TPS and the Legacys will run on OCT. 2nd if the Stock Car Spectacular gets rained out this Saturday...Unfortunately, the Dwarfs and TSRS won't be able to run at THR on that night...So, ROMCO, ARTS, TAMS, TPS and the Legacys will join the Street Stocks (75-lap feature) and the Hobby Stocks (50-lap feature) on Oct. 2nd...An announcement about the Enduro Race will be made early next week, ONLY IF the Sept. 25 Spectacular gets rained out..

Would the Dwarfs and TSRS maybe grace us on the same night as the Enduro rain check? That way we could still see all those great races, just "reformatted" if you will?

I realize it's more than just "hey let's", but it's a thought.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

Now is this organized or what? Here is an email sent to all series running this weekend from Kathy T. on: 9/19/2004 11:49:35 AM Pacific Standard Time:

Hello all, I just wanted to say Thank You all for getting me your officials list. I have them all now.

And I also wanted to pass on some information I posted on the Speedzone and THR's web page hoping that it would help everyone out when signing in. I was hoping that you could pass it on to all your drivers and crew too.

Pit Office Windows will be as follows:

In the first window to the right --- my window --- we will have:

TSRS & Modifieds.

Drivers

Crew

Officials for those classes

In the Middle Window --- my lovely daughter Kristina --- we will have:

Trucks & Romco

Drivers

Crew

THR Officials

In the third window, far left --- will be Julie --- we will have:

Pro Sedans, Dwarfs & Legacy’s

Drivers

Crew

Please pass this on to everyone, so hopefully they can all get in the right line and speed things up as much as possible.

Archived