?

sandersracing

I'm trying to figure that out myself. I helped start a team of drivers from across the US who are trying to help each other get sponsors, but even with that, and a complete plan for what we are doing, I am finding a slim to none sponsor market (given its only for a 4 cylinder and sponsors are gonna be few and far between for that.)

---Find 4 local small businesses and invest time in them. Walk in one day and ask to speak to the owner or manager. Explain to them what you do. Give them printed information, pictures, and anything else you might have that would explain your racing operation. If they don’t have time to see you, come back another time.

---Follow up. Give them tickets to an event, even if they told you no. Make them feel important. Even if they don’t use them, they will remember. Everyone loves something free.

---Ask for assitance last. If you go in and ask for money right off the bat, they will turn you away every time. Invest time and act interested in what they do.

---Offer them something. Tell them you will display your race car or give away something for them at intermission (pens, stickers, autograph cards, etc). Let them know it’s more than just a “sticker on your car”

---Develop a relationship. I have two sponsors now that I didn’t know prior to walking into their business. They were never race fans, but they are now. I implemented several of the tactics above and they give more and more every year

A few other tips:

• Look, act, and speak professional.

• Never ask for something, without offering something in return

• Look, act, and speak professional

• Follow up with a thank you letter, email, or phone call. Even if they told you to stick it

• For every 10 “no” you will get 1 “yes”. Don’t be discouraged

• Look, act, and speak professional

Archived