Heads

Ford27

"Built" vortec heads on top of a built motor would spank the pants off of a 602. Basically, the vortec heads are the only thing the 602 has going for it, and they are untouched with very weak springs. Most built motor rules allow some modification of the heads for compression, better valve springs, etc. If you did that with the vortec heads and tried to run them against the stock vortecs on the 602, the 602 wouldn't stand a chance. Just my speculation.

"Built" vortec heads on top of a built motor would spank the pants off of a 602. Basically, the vortec heads are the only thing the 602 has going for it, and they are untouched with very weak springs. Most built motor rules allow some modification of the heads for compression, better valve springs, etc. If you did that with the vortec heads and tried to run them against the stock vortecs on the 602, the 602 wouldn't stand a chance. Just my speculation.

I don't have a ton of experience in this exact question but my guess is along these lines too, the 602 is a very basic 350HP/350CID engine. I believe the compression ratio is around 9.0 to 1 with a torque cam in the 602 application.

The Vortec heads have two things going for them as far as a "limited" open engine. Vortec heads have efficient combustion chambers that respond very well to a lot of compression and intake ports that create high velocity at lower RPMS but still allow a large volume of air at higher RPMS. You can add to this by bumping up to a cam with more overlap that won't give up a lot of torque (due to high low RPM velocity), allows more air as RPMS increase and allow a little more compression due to bleeding off more cylinder pressure. I would imagine this is why a lot of classes don't allow Vortec heads when they are now cheaper then 461's or the like.

That seems to make sense. Basically the crate is not living up to its potential and uses the vortecs as a cruch. Shame it costs more money to have worse heads. Thanks

I agree, in layman's terms the Vortec is a more modern more efficient design compared to the open chamber smog heads. Why Tracks force racers to continue using the antiquated "Open" chamber head today is beyond reason. Alas the 602 is kept at a lower RPM preventing premature wear which intern makes it last longer than an Open motor.

There are tracks outside this Region which allow Vortecs in Budget classes. After all, it is plentiful and it's been in service for Sixteen years. Vortecs however have drawbacks, thin castings can be crack prone and in the hands of the inexperienced mild porting can be catastrophic.

Chevy and Ford both have factory prepared heads available for the budget racer. For instance the Chevy Bowtie 180cc Vortec is race ready and capable of 450hp out of the box @$800. Considering what Racers are spending on Open Chamber heads the Bowtie-Vortec is a Bargain!

good subject, why cant a open motor run vortec heads and also run a 6200 chip like the 602 . they want to keep cost down , vortec heads are everywhere and a little cheaper to rebuild. plus there are places with replacement parts for the vortec heads ( cheater parts) if you run the 602 ,thay are hard to be found illegal but they are, if the tech people inspect the parts correct. sorry if i stepped on anybodys toes , or the whole foot.

Archived