NASCAR penalizes Gordon, Bowyer, Keselowski

NickHolt

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR announced Monday penalties to three teams that compete in the Sprint Cup Series as a result of rule infractions at Phoenix International Raceway.

Jeff Gordon was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) -- altercation with another competitor on the race track during the race -- and has been fined $100,000, docked 25 championship driver points and put on probation until Dec. 31. Rick Hendrick, owner of the No. 24 car, also has also been penalized with the loss of 25 championship owner points. Alan Gustafson, crew chief of the No. 24 car, was found to be in violation of Section 9-4A (at all events, crew chief assumes responsibility of his driver, car owner and team members) and has been placed on probation until Dec. 31.

Brian Pattie, crew chief of the No. 15 car, violated Sections 12-1 and 9-4A and has been fined $25,000 and placed on probation until Dec. 31.

Brad Keselowski, driver of the No. 2 car, has been fined $25,000 and placed on probation until Dec. 31 for violating Sections 12-1 and 20-6.7A (cars and drivers will not be permitted to carry onboard computers, automated electronic recording devices, electronically actuated devices, power distribution modules, power conditioners, micro-processors, recording devices, electronic digital memory chips, traction control devices, digital readout gauges and the like, even if inoperable or incomplete). Keselowski had a cell phone in his race car.

All of these violations occurred during Sunday's event at PIR.

Brad Keselowski, driver of the No. 2 car, has been fined $25,000 and placed on probation until Dec. 31 for violating Sections 12-1 and 20-6.7A (cars and drivers will not be permitted to carry onboard computers, automated electronic recording devices, electronically actuated devices, power distribution modules, power conditioners, micro-processors, recording devices, electronic digital memory chips, traction control devices, digital readout gauges and the like, even if inoperable or incomplete). Keselowski had a cell phone in his race car.

WTG NASCAR!!!!! You caught the tater. Tweeting during a red flag Im sure is detrimental to nascar racing. Its not like he hasnt done it before. Geez, dont you have more to worry about than some racers phone. I mean hell, you put computers in the car to run the ignition and fuel delivery system, allow every gauge to be electric and yet you worry about a cell phone.

WTG NASCAR!!!!! You caught the tater. Tweeting during a red flag Im sure is detrimental to nascar racing. Its not like he hasnt done it before. Geez, dont you have more to worry about than some racers phone. I mean hell, you put computers in the car to run the ignition and fuel delivery system, allow every gauge to be electric and yet you worry about a cell phone.

I know some people don't like it when you say it, but Boyer summed it up with one word...retards.

Heck what a marketing campain. Fine someone for using the sponsors product.LOL maybe they should get him to do some public service adds about the cost of texting and driving. They may have to sensor some of the language

$25,000.00 for a cell phone in your race car. WOW. It must not have been a Sprint phone.

@$$CAR had to try to differ some of the Bowyer & (rainbow infant) attention to something else. They lost my support long ago. Just one more effort to cookie cutter everything into their mold. Keep it up @$$CAR and see how much emptier the stands get...

Go Brad, 2012 NASCAR Champion

(cars and drivers will not be permitted to carry onboard computers, automated electronic recording devices, electronically actuated devices, power distribution modules, power conditioners, micro-processors, recording devices, electronic digital memory chips, traction control devices, digital readout gauges and the like, even if inoperable or incomplete)

Not saying it was any more than a phone and I'm not one to agree with Nascar very often, but I would think a modern cell phone could be could be modified to operate as any one (if not all) of these devices. Especially with the last 5 words thrown in there.

Now if he was carrying a flip-phone...........

(cars and drivers will not be permitted to carry onboard computers, automated electronic recording devices, electronically actuated devices, power distribution modules, power conditioners, micro-processors, recording devices, electronic digital memory chips, traction control devices, digital readout gauges and the like, even if inoperable or incomplete)

Not saying it was any more than a phone and I'm not one to agree with Nascar very often, but I would think a modern cell phone could be could be modified to operate as any one (if not all) of these devices. Especially with the last 5 words thrown in there.

Good point. Bluetooth connection to a traction control device. the flux capacitor would certainly be modifiable on track!

Here's a release I got from NASCAR. I guess they might be catching a bit of flack!

Statement From Robin Pemberton, NASCAR Vice President of Competition:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Nov. 12, 2012) – “Following a thorough analysis of the actions that took place during Sunday’s race at Phoenix International Raceway, we have issued penalties based upon our review. The decisions announced today cover NASCAR’s full assessment of penalties for the incidents that occurred.

“There’s no doubt that a unique set of circumstances combined with a championship battle on the line resulted in raw emotions coming into play. We consider the penalties appropriate and those involved understand our decision and we expect them to abide by them.”

So let's see if I understand this correctly...

1- Gordon, his crew chief, and owner (retaliation) fined/points/probation

2- Brian Pattie (swearing) fined/probation

3- Brad Keselowski (using cel phone during red flag) fined/probation

4- #15 crew members (attacking Gordon/instigating a brawl) NOTHING?

5- Michael Waltrip (owner of #15 team) NOTHING?

6- not to mention - NASCAR race control (destroying a dozen cars) NOTHING?

Wow! B)

Good point. Bluetooth connection to a traction control device. the flux capacitor would certainly be modifiable on track!

That darn flux capacitor has finally been discovered in the Blue Deuce Camp. Must have been what was allowing them victories in the fuel mileage races. Maybe BK's cell phone was also used to cause Johnsons tire to go down and hit the wall, then BK used it to "short circuit" Jeffy Boys helmet causing him to go haywire and wreck Bowyer. Ahhh, The conspiracy theories abound !!! Lenny66 B)

imagine how kyle feels. he had to sit out a race last year for the same thing gordon did, yet gordon gets a slap on the wrist. i think gordon was following team orders. they wanted him to crash boyer so kahne could take over 3rd in points. wont be surprised if a hendrick car doesnt "get loose" under brad this weekend and take him out so jimmie can win number 6. nascar is a freaking joke. they wonder why they have so many empty seats at the tracks.

imagine how kyle feels. he had to sit out a race last year for the same thing gordon did, yet gordon gets a slap on the wrist. i think gordon was following team orders. they wanted him to crash boyer so kahne could take over 3rd in points. wont be surprised if a hendrick car doesnt "get loose" under brad this weekend and take him out so jimmie can win number 6. nascar is a freaking joke. they wonder why they have so many empty seats at the tracks.

What I said about empty seats...

They have #24 cars radio transmission back and forth. He said he was hunting Bowyer and going after him. @$$CAR needs to park him like they did Busch, this playing Team favorites is for the birds.... They should say Mr "light in his loafers" slipped and fell and he will be out for two weeks...... <_<

I'm not particularly a Gordon fan and certainly not a Kyle Bush fan. I think comparing the two's actions verses penalties is like comparing apples to oranges. Gordan has very seldom ever been in trouble With NASCAR. Kyle... Needless to say anything about his record.

But its about being consistent...didn't think Kyle should have been penalized for something in a truck race. If you park him then you should back it up when another driver does the same thing. Actually it was worse being it took out other innocent cars.

So Gordon can run into everybody including his own teammate/car #48 at Texas last year and it's ok. Then he gets hit by Bowyer and it ok that he purposely went after Bowyer and takes him out? I could care less if he is NASCAR's poster child for perfection, NASCAR needs to park his @$$ for purposely hunting down another driver as Busch did.

Is that apples to apples for You? If Jr. went after someone like that as much as it would pain me, I'd say park him.

Gordon and Bowyer

Archived