93 ranger

norman

i have a 93 ranger with a 2.3 std shift the truck when driving wont idle down between shifts i can stop and it will idle down i clean the throttle body but with no luck a man said the tps might be bad before i go replaceing parts i though someone might know

SEEN TPS DO THAT ...BUT PROBLEMS COULD BE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR .....DID YOU UNPLUG THE IAC ALSO CLEAN IT ...CHECK FOR VACUME LEAKS ...THE CHECK VALVE ON THE BRAKE BOOSTER COULD BE BAD ...ALSO CHECK YOUR THROTLE CABLE ...

Should have a mass air on it. Check that, clean well with carb cleaner.

SEEN TPS DO THAT ...BUT PROBLEMS COULD BE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR .....DID YOU UNPLUG THE IAC ALSO CLEAN IT ...CHECK FOR VACUME LEAKS ...THE CHECK VALVE ON THE BRAKE BOOSTER COULD BE BAD ...ALSO CHECK YOUR THROTLE CABLE ...

Should have a mass air on it. Check that, clean well with carb cleaner.

yep forgot that one .

Definition: The engine runs unevenly at idle. If bad enough, the vehicle may shake. Also, the idle may vary in rpm. Either condition may be severe enough to cause stalling. Engine idles at incorrect speed.

POSSIBLE CAUSE ACTION

Throttle linkage sticking/binding - Check and adjust throttle linkage

Fuel Metering - Check fuel pressure,

Check air/fuel ratio

Perform Cylinder Balance Test

Check vacuum line and return hose

Incorrect idle speed - Check and adjust, refer to Adjustments

I went back and looked to make sure, these are early Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) systems that are VERY susceptible to MAF issues causing stalling. I would first look towards an air leak between the MAF and the throttle body as that will cause exactly what you are dealing with (the engine is measuring more air then it is getting, going rich and stalling). The nice thing about older FoMoCo MAF systems is the test to see if they are bad is easy, unplug the MAF, drive the truck and see if the problem changes. The engine will default to a throttle position sensor based fuel map if the MAF is unplugged and will run with a surging idle (if all is well it will sound like a hotrod with a large cam).

My first step would be driving it with an unplugged MAF and seeing what thay changes

My second step would be unplugging the vacuum source to the fuel pressure regulator to see if that solves the issue.

Third step would be cleaning the MAF and the Throttle Body to see where that puts me.

thanks for the help today i clean the check valve and throttle body and sprayed the throttle cable and linkage with wd40 seems to running fine thanks agian to the people on this forum for your help

Archived