Kurt Busch "misconstrued" again after Talladega

NickHolt

Kurt Busch "misconstrued" again after Talladega

by TMS Admin | Oct 09, 2012

Kurt Busch went out with a bang for his final race with Phoenix Racing at Talladega, much to NASCAR’s chagrin. After leading six laps of Sunday's Sprint Cup Series race, Busch's car lost fuel pressure on Lap 99 and spun off the front bumper of Jamie McMurray. The result was his car crashing into the wall and sustaining heavy damage.

After climbing from the car and removing his helmet, Busch got back in the car and attempted to drive away as emergency equipment fell from the rear of his car and emergency workers in the area. NASCAR immediately parked him for his actions since they were concerned about him putting other people in harm’s way by driving away from the accident.

“I got out of the car and surveyed the damage, saw that it could still roll so I jumped back in,” Busch said. “I remembered with these engines they will run at 20 percent of fuel pressure to get it back to the garage. So I tried like heck. That is the competitor in me, which is the desire that I have and that is what gets misconstrued all the time.”

Busch, already on probation for two incidents earlier this season, was summoned to the NASCAR hauler afterward and could face additional penalties for his actions.

"This is the way my life works,” Busch said. “Today is a perfect example. I'm leading, I wreck, I run out of gas, I'm still that competitive guy that tried to get back in the race, and now NASCAR is yelling at me because I don't have my helmet on and I'm trying to get it to the garage so the guys can work on it. Now I'm in trouble. Now I have this little storm right here. This is my life. I'm not complaining -- I put myself in a lot of these situations, but it's on to good things now moving forward. I got all the bad luck out of the way. This year has been a great year to test me in every way."

Busch is scheduled to make his debut with Furniture Row Racing at Saturday night’s Bank of America 500 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. He recently signed with the organization for the 2013 season to replace Regan Smith in the No. 78 Chevrolet, but will start driving for the team beginning this weekend. Among his stops behind the wheel of the No. 78 Furniture Racing Chevrolet will be the Nov. 4 AAA Texas 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.

I should put on a fire suit for this...but I don't think Busch was all wrong in that situation. With his helmet off not only would he not have heard NASCAR telling him to stop but sitting down in the car he likely couldn't see any of the safety workers save for the one standing next to him. He SEEMED genuinely apologetic afterwards? Now...Stewart crashing out 25 cars blocking is another story!

I should put on a fire suit for this...but I don't think Busch was all wrong in that situation. With his helmet off not only would he not have heard NASCAR telling him to stop but sitting down in the car he likely couldn't see any of the safety workers save for the one standing next to him. He SEEMED genuinely apologetic afterwards? Now...Stewart crashing out 25 cars blocking is another story!

Agreed. However there are those that hate him and his brother so much that they would rather see him crucified.

On a side note, could you imagine the flack that would be flying if one of the Busch brothers caused that wreck? ;)

The unanswered question I have is what about Johnsons ride back to the garage sitting on the door of a race car? I thought it was a MAJOR rules violation to ride on a race car. Memory seems to serve me that someone else did that in the past and gave up a few points...

i remember them making a big deal about jimmie giving mr hendrick a ride on his door after the 200th win or whatever it was. dont recall anything about another driver doing it. and now jr's performance the past month makes more sense. cause he went from kicking ass to sucking ass rather quickly. i guess racing with a concussion has that effect on ya.

So after todays headlines, how many 88 fans are happy with ole smoke? Sittin out two races due to a cuncussion from the 20 car pile up.

Actually, they believe the concussion was from a wreck he had doing a tire test a couple of weeks ago. Can't recall the details - just glanced at the article.

Nick

Actually, they believe the concussion was from a wreck he had doing a tire test a couple of weeks ago. Can't recall the details - just glanced at the article.

Nick

You're correct Nick. Dale Jr mentioned that last night on TV. He said that the Dega wreck made him realize he was not ready to return to the track yet and from now on he will sit them out after a concussion.

im not a kurt bush fan...but why is it ok for jimmy johnson to ride on the side of a wrecked race car with an "injured' driver but but kurt bush driving his car back to the pits is a BIG problem....hmmmm sounds all to familar just sayin.

Jimmie was endangering only himself, KB was endangering others...

im not a kurt bush fan...but why is it ok for jimmy johnson to ride on the side of a wrecked race car with an "injured' driver but but kurt bush driving his car back to the pits is a BIG problem....hmmmm sounds all to familar just sayin.

maybe jimmy new jr had a headache and was just helping his team mate in case he blacked out....im sure kurts only intent all day was to knock some saftey equipment of the back of his car and have yet more bs drama thrown in his face....some time shit happens just ask forest gump.

The unanswered question I have is what about Johnsons ride back to the garage sitting on the door of a race car? I thought it was a MAJOR rules violation to ride on a race car. Memory seems to serve me that someone else did that in the past and gave up a few points...
I remember dale sr leaving the pits after a stop sitting on the drivers door steering with his right hand and cleaning his windshield with his left, no seat belt and with the window net down, no problem.

Archived