Classes for 2013 Season?

TRP

Ok, I have been asked by quite a few racers and fans alike about the classes I will run next season.

I may open a can of worms, but here we go. :o;)

I want to know what the public thinks.

What classes of race cars would you like to see at Texana Raceway Park???

I am not the most technically minded person, so I am not a good one to suggest this or that. My input is more of a request than a suggestion. Whatever rule decisions are made and decisions on classes to run, please make decisions by end of October or very early November, so we can move in the direction of what will be availalbe. I know the tire topic in street stocks is a hot topic. On the same token, if there is an opportunity for us to have more motor such as the CBS or I37 rules, I would be one that would want to know that as I would want to align my program.

For each one of us you can get an opinion, but I know you are the kind of person who values such and will make decisions that ultimately are made for the greater overall good of the track, and I am one who will respect and support such. Many a person is very excited that Texana will be back running a regular schedule in 2014 and excited you have taken on the challenge. My only suggestion (request) is that decisions be made in October or very early November, so we can save our pennies and determine what we need to be doing.

if considering purestock i think tire rule needs addressed along with suspesion,shocks springs kept stock keep in mind certain tires are costly for example g-60 with shipping run around 110.00 per tire x 6 not economical no bead locks beadlocks in this class is not much of safety concern other tracks been running for years without and doing well keep as close to other tracks as possible so if other cars would like to come race rules allow it. i would for one say ask some season racers who has raced and built cars for this class example a.j.,danielson's mr.hudgeons,monty,chris etc. some of old timers who use to race when car count was 20 or more cars keep it as cheap as possible that was purpose of class and on side note in my opinion fee that most tracks have to tear down or tech cars in this class is set to high and for one i think thats made for a reason so no one will tear down,so maybe adjust tear down cost say $300.00 for this class and rules need to be enforced. Also what would be payout for class thanks i agree rules need to be sent out early before november so cars can be built. thanks

It would be awesome for a purestock class. The main most thing is once you have rules stick to them no matter what. Lift, vacume, and carb. Tires dot or g-60 which you could get off some of the modified guys cheap. No 9in. Its bascically a entry level so keep that in mind. Your gonna have your guys that piss and moan but average nite her in houston is 15-25a cars and a class that is very tough and put on a show that people want to see. The "bomber" days are over. Also tech the heck out of them it will keep them honest and the outlaws on there toes. No tech= what the street stocks turned into!!

I think e mods would be good starter class to. Since there are so many older sport mods around. Seem like southtexas has a nice group running now and they are very competive. Just my two cents. Snoman

if considering purestock i think tire rule needs addressed along with suspesion,shocks springs kept stock keep in mind certain tires are costly for example g-60 with shipping run around 110.00 per tire x 6 not economical no bead locks beadlocks in this class is not much of safety concern other tracks been running for years without and doing well keep as close to other tracks as possible so if other cars would like to come race rules allow it. i would for one say ask some season racers who has raced and built cars for this class example a.j.,danielson's mr.hudgeons,monty,chris etc. some of old timers who use to race when car count was 20 or more cars keep it as cheap as possible that was purpose of class and on side note in my opinion fee that most tracks have to tear down or tech cars in this class is set to high and for one i think thats made for a reason so no one will tear down,so maybe adjust tear down cost say $300.00 for this class and rules need to be enforced. Also what would be payout for class thanks i agree rules need to be sent out early before november so cars can be built. thanks

This above is very good info. I feel that the loss of a true Pure Stock type entry class hurt the fender cars in the last 3 or 4 seasons. The former Bomber class evolved into our current Street Stocks. In our case we decided to ride with it and they are fun. The following is not a whine, but just an illustration of how the class evolved to present; At the end of the 2004 season, we bought a completely race ready Bomber with street tires on it for $1,800. Based on rules at that time, you could realistically have a competitive motor for about $800 to $1,000 in it. Start of 2005 we could run Dirt Boss tires and quick steer, so we bought the tires at the price of $110 apiece at that time but didn't install quick steer our first two seasons. Later in 2005 season we could use 4412 carb, so we got that and then headers were ok, so we got those too. Start of 2006 we could start using any steel head with a cc rule, so we researched and got some awesome heads. Awsome heads cost $$$. Last couple of years, vacuum rule dropped from 18 to 15 so cams could be changed if desired. Don't get me wrong, we love running in the Street Stocks and we chose our path, but we really loved getting started with an affordable car in the then Bombers back then to see if we would enjoy the sport as much as we thought we would. If you look around, from Golden Triangle to Battleground to Gator to I37 to SOS to STS, all have the Pure stock class. The rules to vary quite a bit, from one to the other, but without such a class, it will be difficult to see the new racer coming on the scene at Texana in my opinion. Street Stocks are cool and can put on some good shows as witnessed with the Shootout races, but realistically it is a little pricey for just everyone to jump into. Thus a pure stock type class with reasonable cost containment is a good idea. Fans like the class too and they are fun to watch.

I am excited for Texana Raceway. Have to be real careful though with some decisions on classes. I love the pure stock idea. If your a kid you have go carts and mini stocks to try out. If your an adult and want to feel out racing you need a very budget friendly class to try out like pure stock. If you do start a pure stock class then my personal feeling is make it $150 to win but make the start money more of a focus instead of the first place purse. If you pay anymore for normal show then you will have experienced pure stockers coming in from out of town. Not that its a bad thing but you dont want them coming from out of town regularly. Allow both DOT and G60's either will be fine. Only put rules in the rule book that you can actually enforce otherwise dont put a rule in if your not ever going to check it. You will always have competitors pointing fingers at each other regarding rules if your not able to police it. My opinion I would not start an Emod class if you do a pure stock class. My reason is this, STS just started it and its just now starting to grow consistantly. STS has done a great job getting this class off the ground and growing. I am sure they could use another year of making sure the rules are what they are wanting to run with. I think too many new classes at Texana will only water down the car counts overall. Pure Stocks are a great entry class, Street stocks and Limited mods are true racecars and would be the classes they can step up into. To start a new class takes time / patience and even then you will still have issues you will have to go through. Nobody wants to set through 20 laps watching 5 cars on the track, so dont make it worst by adding 2 new classes. Time will let you know when to bring on an Emod class. Think about what your every week classes are and bring in a traveling class on a rotation bases.

You can rotate, Late models, limited late models, dwarf cars, mod lites, etc. Keep in mind racing every other week doesnt give you a very big season or time to build classes from scratch. Another reason to keep it to a minimal is the area. You can only get so many interested people from the local area to build new cars. Try to push them all into one new class. It will build car count much faster. As far as street stocks go I have converted a SOS street stock to an I37 street stock. I was concerned about money like everyone else currently is. You really only have 2 major expenses. wheels/tires and new rear gear. The motors are alot closer then everyone thinks. I am running 72 cc after market heads. Most SOS or Texana cars have better heads then what I am currently running. Throw on some roller rockers and a aftermarket intake and let it eat. After going through the transformation I am glad I did. I have saved alot of money on tires over 2 years of racing and the stress has been removed from engine, transmission and driveline by using the g60's which obviously saves an enormous amount of money. I do think if you change the street stock rules you should have a grace period built into the rule book allow 2012 rules through the whole 2013 season allowing guys to convert when they can afford it. At the same time I would adopt the I37 / CBS rules across the board so you can have those drivers visit on rainouts and off days. The days of building 20 plus car counts in classes are over if your depending on just local drivers. You have to find interested drivers out side the area without making your locals upset because of rule differences. The shootout has proven cars can come together with differences but it would be alot smoother if there were none to start with. The myth of having 12 inch wide tires on full bodied cars to make them turn is over and its time Texana and SOS join the rest of the racing world and move to G60's. Good luck in whatever you guys decide to do. We will support the track as much as possible.

I tried to get cottonbowl to use the imca hobbystock tire rule for pure stocks....but after he put it in the rules...so many people called to complain that he removed it... the rule was 205/75 dot tires... I looked these tires up....you could get them for 30$ so an entire set of 4 is about the same cost as one g60... I am still shaking my head as to why racers have to go out of their way to make this sport more expensive.

Just like the dirt bozz tires...there very expensive...and easier to pop... personally...I want all the street stocks to go to the southwest speed tire....I think there like 60$ look like a g60...but are a little harder....and with a little less traction...a big motor will not help (or be needed) and the tire would last longer... heck...I would be super happy if all the area street stocks went to the imca hobby tire rule....could you imagine buying a set of tires for 120$ not just one... and then you could be competitive with a 1500$ motor..... but we all know that will never happen...

G-60s aint bad and around here you can buy them off the modified guys for cheap and regroove them. Or you can get a new set and groove them and get 10-12 nites out of them. As far as emod seeing this first hand a front running purestock motor in a decent limited with a good driver will be mid pack car. B-main at the grand last year was won with a purestock motor. So 2 classes of limited to me aint gonna be a long term class. It will go back to set up and so on. On a purestock for the most part 5 guys could share same sef up. Just seems like open wheel car for a "beginner " is askin for problems specially when it comes to buyin tires

I am just a fan here so my opinion is based just on the stands side.I think less is more and 3 classes for sure would be pure stock,street stock and limited modifieds.These classes seem to have the highest car counts at most tracks in the area. Late models and LLM's would be good only if Texana and IH-37 could work together to bump up the car counts to at least 8-10. It is tough to even the hard core fan to watch 4 car features.Keeping the regular classes down to 3 would make it easier on the tech crew too. Best of luck to Texana as it is a fun place to visit.

Ok, I have been asked by quite a few racers and fans alike about the classes I will run next season.

I may open a can of worms, but here we go. :o;)

I want to know what the public thinks.

What classes of race cars would you like to see at Texana Raceway Park???

We got a limited and emod!

Agree with a core of a Bomber/Pure Stock, Street Stock, and Limited Mods then have a fourth class of a rotating Late Model or LLM, Dwarf or if there's still a big interest in the youth there, mini's and go karts. I think the uniformity in rules will be beneficial for all the tracks in all classes. The Street Stock Championship seems to be going well eventhough our STS guys are outmatched for the most part the series itself is strong. But you're getting cars from I37, SOS/TRP, and Houston running pretty even. I think a uniform tire rule will help the Pure Stock too since it seems that's the main difference between the tracks.

If there is an LLM show on the off days of I37... We will bring the express to put on a show if others are willing from our class....thoughts? be gentle...lmao

On an off night from our Late models, I may have y'all come down and run.

• 1 month later...

A recomendation I have would be to limit the amount of classes you are running each night. say 4-5 classes max, and alternate your classes around. The guys that are traveling will be more willing to make a trip if they are on the road by 10:30 or 11. The fans don't really want to be in the stands until 1 or 2 in the morning either.

Just making recomendations off of what I see at tracks with full stands and pit areas.

Can't commit to every race, but could do once a month with the Late Model.

A recomendation I have would be to limit the amount of classes you are running each night. say 4-5 classes max, and alternate your classes around. The guys that are traveling will be more willing to make a trip if they are on the road by 10:30 or 11. The fans don't really want to be in the stands until 1 or 2 in the morning either.

Just making recomendations off of what I see at tracks with full stands and pit areas.

Can't commit to every race, but could do once a month with the Late Model.

Kody, very seldom did I go to midnight or later running 7 classes. Most stayed later to visit in the pits till I turned the lights out on them. I run them through like herds of cattle! Lol.

• 4 weeks later...

You could check into Southern Topless Economy Modifieds. They have a website:

txstemracing.com

If you can't pull hard hitters with deep pockets for classes above Bombers and Street stocks on a weekly basis this class could be a consideration. STEMS has proven Limiteds, 3-link and Leaf cars can compete head on. Good Luck.

Archived