butch harris pics

hly

• 2 months later...
Anyone have pics of butch Harris modifieds

Sorry to be so late in replying, but I don't get on this site that often - I actually have some photos of Butch ontract at Meyer - I will scan them and try to get them posted tomorrow sometime....

Today is a Butch day...I earlier posted 2 pics of Butch Biggs in his #77 Limited Sportsman, and now, Butch Harris in his modified something-or other

post-3-1340997471.jpg

Butch Harris car only, from 1971

And all these of Butch Ontrack from 1972 - Please don't ask me 40 years later why

I have so many ontrack photos and not a single photo of Butch with the car!!!

But I hope these will help....

post-3-1340997477.jpg

post-3-1340997485.jpg

post-3-1340997491.jpg

post-3-1340997496.jpg

post-3-1340997501.jpg

post-3-1340997506.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I worked for Cecil Harris when Butch brought home a A Sports racer that had a 426 hemi and a no gear transaxle.It only had a torque converter.He added a trans and made it into a modified for Myerland.I moved south before it was finished but heard he got hurt in this car.Judging form what I see this is the A Sports Racer.

Butch was from my home town of LaFeria Tx.In 57 he raced a dragster called the tequila burner.Hid dad raced a Ford with a Cadillac engine called the Mexican Bean.In 68 when I moved to Houston Butch was racing Formula V.He even had his own VW dino.A little later he moved to Formula Ford,then bought the A Sport.His brother Harold had a screaming VW beetle.He used to start last and win most of the time.I went to Almeda Speedway with Harold Harris in 1969 and was hopelessy hooked on racing every since.

Butch stopped by my shop about 4 years ago.He was servicing a groop of speck racers for a groop of Doctors and Lawyers.He would haul a bunch of cars to the track,take them home after the races(road racing)then refresh all the cars for the next race.Sounded like a great job to me.His business is called Butch Harris Racing in Houston.

post-10523-1372771633.jpg

Would you be talking about this Mexican Bean. Picture was taken at Martindale in 1955 the same day A.J. was there with Ray Harrelsons tip tank. I also have pictures of the NHRA Safty Safari Trailer and pictures of the class winners. Small world Thumper. You made my day.

By the way I also have the Dec. 55 issue of Hot Rod that covered the event.

Yes that was Cecil Harris' Ford.In the late 50s Butch managed to anger the infamous Pinky Dirks by doing a pass in his dragster on main street one late nite.He managed to sneak back into the garage but everyone knew who did this.Pinky was a County Highway Patrolman who spent the next several years chaseing all the teen hot rodders who thought they could get away running the levies.But he and his big block Ford rarely let one get away.The original Smokey but mean as hell.

Small world indeed.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure thing I would love to see some. Oval track and road race would be great. Did Butch drive a rear engine car with a turbo charged Volkswagen engine for about one season. I think the car was black and no. 24 and owned by Carroll Cheek. Also do you know anything about Butch and Cheek preparing a car for an attempt to run the Indy 500. Some friends of mine were renting a shop space in a business center off of Campbell Road and Cheek was renting shop space across the street. My friend was an engine builder after finishing his day job and one day someone from Cheek's shop came over and invited him and a couple of friends who where there to come over and see the  car and talk racing. I believe Cheek was unable to secure proper funding for the venture and that ended their hope of going  to Indy.

1 hour ago, byron said:

Sure thing I would love to see some. Oval track and road race would be great. Did Butch drive a rear engine car with a turbo charged Volkswagen engine for about one season. I think the car was black and no. 24 and owned by Carroll Cheek. Also do you know anything about Butch and Cheek preparing a car for an attempt to run the Indy 500. Some friends of mine were renting a shop space in a business center off of Campbell Road and Cheek was renting shop space across the street. My friend was an engine builder after finishing his day job and one day someone from Cheek's shop came over and invited him and a couple of friends who where there to come over and see the  car and talk racing. I believe Cheek was unable to secure proper funding for the venture and that ended their hope of going  to Indy.

I'll ask him, him and Cheek go way back.