POWER STEERING PROBLEM

Matt Ohm

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY POWER STEERING PUKING OUT OF THE RESIVOR LID WHEN IM RACING. THE PUMP IS A KRC POWER STEERING PUMP WITH AN ALUMINUM TANK, IM RUNNING TRANNY FLUID IN IT AND FILLING IT UP JUST OVER THE TOP OF THE RETURN LINE. IS IT TOO FULL OR WHAT?

Just over the return should not be "too" full. Does it ever stop puking and still work? A couple things to look at -

ATF does expand a bit when HOT - but usually if heat is making it puke you will also notice it smelling burnt...

Is your steering centered? We once did a poor rookie's bump steer adjustment (0 on the right and let the left run wild) by shortening the right tie rod and lengthening the left - this had the box running slightly right so it was pressured when going straight - at the end of the straight at 6,000 rpm it was just too much - especially coming through center as he turned in! Wiped the box and pump (among other problems - painful lesson)!

The cap breathes by simply not being a pressure cap. Brings up a good point - check to make sure the rubber washer is not distorted and has a good bit of load via the spring washer above it and that its mating surface is not dinged up or bent!

If you have already reduced your crank pulley speed 30% and the water pump flow is adequate (a sure sign that your reduction matches the higher RPM) then I would not think the ps pulley needs a reduction. Reducing more may cost you assist coming off the corner!

After that - consider having the box and pump checked. Not sure how thats done - but re builders will have some way to run it under "dyno" condition.

Or if it eventually stops puking while still providing good power assist - just let that live as your "full" level!

Tranny fluid is more susceptible to aerating than power steering fluid, especially if you are running a steering quickener. You usually feel the air in the system by jerking or harder turning of the wheel, but not always. The air in the system will cause your reservoir to overflow. I would suggest draining the system and put a good quality power steering fluid in it.

Tranny fluid is more susceptible to aerating than power steering fluid, especially if you are running a steering quickener. You usually feel the air in the system by jerking or harder turning of the wheel, but not always. The air in the system will cause your reservoir to overflow. I would suggest draining the system and put a good quality power steering fluid in it.

Good point!

fillin it to just over the return line may not be enough actually, the only way hydrolic fluid can be come airorated is if it subject to agitaion. basically there needs to be a good amount of fluid at least an inch preferably more over your return line for the extra fluid to act as a baffle and dissipate the pressure coming from the return line. as hot fuid enters the cooler resovour it will deflect to the path of least resistance, that being said colder fluid at the bottom of the tank will encourage the hotter fluid to travel upward towards the air causing it to splash and become filled with bubbles till it eventually overflows, unless there is adiquit downward pressure from the extra fluid above the return line to make the transition a smooth process. a good way to play with this theory is with a garden hose and a bucket. move the hose to different depths and you'll see what I mean, good luck

fillin it to just over the return line may not be enough actually, the only way hydrolic fluid can be come airorated is if it subject to agitaion. basically there needs to be a good amount of fluid at least an inch preferably more over your return line for the extra fluid to act as a baffle and dissipate the pressure coming from the return line. as hot fuid enters the cooler resovour it will deflect to the path of least resistance, that being said colder fluid at the bottom of the tank will encourage the hotter fluid to travel upward towards the air causing it to splash and become filled with bubbles till it eventually overflows, unless there is adiquit downward pressure from the extra fluid above the return line to make the transition a smooth process. a good way to play with this theory is with a garden hose and a bucket. move the hose to different depths and you'll see what I mean, good luck

I can see that working that way.

Thanks

Can't make this up:

I was leaving a convenience store/gas station recently and noticed a woman opening a bottle of 40 wt oil - and the power steering lid laying on the fender of her Lumina. I said " hey you do know that's OIL you are putting in there?" She responded "yes - power steering fluid leaks out too fast so my husband puts oil in there and it lasts longer - it's okay - he's a mechanic at the Toyota dealer so he knows what he's doing!" "okay" says I, as I walked off thinking "note to self - that cars probably uninsured as well - give it LOTS of room if you ever see it again" Not to mention glad I don't own a Toyota with a need for their local dealer service department....

Can't make this up:

I was leaving a convenience store/gas station recently and noticed a woman opening a bottle of 40 wt oil - and the power steering lid laying on the fender of her Lumina. I said " hey you do know that's OIL you are putting in there?" She responded "yes - power steering fluid leaks out too fast so my husband puts oil in there and it lasts longer - it's okay - he's a mechanic at the Toyota dealer so he knows what he's doing!" "okay" says I, as I walked off thinking "note to self - that cars probably uninsured as well - give it LOTS of room if you ever see it again" Not to mention glad I don't own a Toyota with a need for their local dealer service department....

If I am not mistaken, the 18 wheelers run 10-40 engine oil in their power steering system now.

ha funny story though I know I'm guilty of dumping a qt of 5-20 in mine once on a trip when the pitman seal blew out.... i needed something to keep the pump cool at the least till I got to a town. though the rest of the time the shop donkey receives #2 ATF (previously tested transmission fluid. sometimes I think big blue gets jealous when she sees the customer cars and the race cars get all the love and right stuff while she gets the leftovers.

• 1 month later...

I have had the same problem for years. I finally broke down and called KRC. They said their pumps are only rated for 5500 RPMs. but will still function properly as you exceed the rpms. the only thing he told me was that you need to buy an aftermarket race power steering fluid as it helps from foaming up at high temps.

Archived