H.B. Bailey pics needed and contact info for his daughter too

NickHolt

Got this email from one of my out-of-state racing contacts:

Nick,

Do you know how to get in touch with H.B. Bailiey's daughter? High Performance Pontiac Magazine is after some photos of Bailey's 1973 Pontiac Grand Am as he ran the 366 CI engine at that time. Bailey owned Alameda Auto Parts which still is active with two locations in Houston.

He loved his Pontiacs and loved racing and he had to tow a long way to race too. His closest track was Texas World with Talladega next. He ran GN/Winston Cup from 1962 to 1993 for a total of 87 races but never more than 7 in a season and that was 1988. He ran 6 races in 1969 and 1982. Passed away on 4-17-03 of heart failure. Real name Herring Burl Bailey.

If you don't have that info, could you please post it on your Lone Star Speedzone website? I'm sure someone has pics or knows how to get in touch with H.B.'s daughter.

Thanks.

Let's help get the requested info to the magazine. PM me if you have information about his daughter. Post any HB pics you might have or email them to me at nick.lssz@gmail.com.

P.S. I never knew that's what H.B. stood for.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
Just found y'alls post. Let me know if I can help

--Saralynn Bailey

Welcome to Lone Star Speedzone, Saralynn!

I have forwarded your contact info to the folks who were looking for you. I am sure they will be getting in touch soon.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I raced with HB Bailey in the December 1971 IMSA Camel GT race at TWS. During that race, which was run in the pouring rain at night, Bailey ran into my friend George Eby's Lotus Elan in the horseshoe, with the rewult that both went off intot he mud, and Bailey's TransAm Pontiac went through the passenger side door and into the Elan. Both pitted. Bailey retired due to visibility, and George's pit crew spent a while putting the Elan back together with duct tape. Eventually it returned to the race, several laps down, but it finished. HB Bailey's Trans Am is still racing in vintage, and I raced with it at Sears Point in 2008. That is Bailey's RED Trans Am behind my Corvette in the attached picture.

0805290003.JPG

Archived