Pan American Speedway - 1970's Photos

ToryC

Bobby - Yes, I can. Fred, Sr. raced the #20 from 1971-72. Fred, Jr. raced it once during that period in one of the extra-length races in that time frame. Fred, Sr. then built the light blue #22 and raced it in 1973 and beyond, and Fred, Jr. purchased the #20 and started driving it.

Some may remember Fred, Sr. flipping the #20 on the front straight in 1972.

One way to tell - looking at the right front fender - if it has the name "Wanda" or "Wanda the Witch" on it, Fred, Sr. is driving the car. Wanda was Fred's wife.

Bobby - Yes, I can. Fred, Sr. raced the #20 from 1971-72. Fred, Jr. raced it once during that period in one of the extra-length races in that time frame. Fred, Sr. then built the light blue #22 and raced it in 1973 and beyond, and Fred, Jr. purchased the #20 and started driving it.

Some may remember Fred, Sr. flipping the #20 on the front straight in 1972.

One way to tell - looking at the right front fender - if it has the name "Wanda" or "Wanda the Witch" on it, Fred, Sr. is driving the car. Wanda was Fred's wife.

Craig - Thanks for the detail. Part of my problem was that my first memories of Sr. were in a 57 Chevy which was not the nice "new" light blue one, and it has been so long I didn't recall him in the Chevelle at all. I went back in the pictures and found one posted by Nick in 07 which verifies my first memories - a blue and white #22 57. That must have been from about 1970, or early 71, preceeding the Chevelle.

• 3 years later...

does anyone remember or know Don Fowler he drove my dad's car back in the early to middle 60's my dad was Carrol Barden . he drove all black Chevrolet with number 26 that glitter numbers on it and a white Ford number 26 fat ass Gillespie Ford on the side of it . my dad built the cars occasionally he drove but Don Fowler did most of the driving . my uncle Jim Barton also raised back in the late 60's and early seventies he drove a 57 Pontiac navy blue with a silver top and silver number 18 on the doors . he later drove a 68 or nine Chevelle painted orange and white with a black number 18 on the door it was sponsored by Don's funeral home . I'm not sure what class my uncle raced in my dad's car after all modifieds . I think my uncles car is were hobby .

• 1 year later...

Archived