TPS Awards Dinner Held

TPS Awards Dinner Held

Texas Pro Sedans mark their 36th Anniversary

The 2011 Texas Pro Sedans Series annual Awards Dinner was held at the Little Red Barn in San Antonio on Saturday evening, January 14. TPS was the exclusive occupant of the North Room which was filled with a turnout of forty-four Texas Pro Sedans drivers and families and crew members, TPS officials, TPS sponsors and TPS fans who attended the season ending event. The TPS Awards Dinner was co-hosted by TPS Race Director & Chief Inspector David Mackey and TPS Driver, Tory Christopher.

During the Awards Dinner, 2011 Texas Pro Sedans Champion Sergio Hexsel of Live Oak, Texas, received his fourth TPS Champions Plaque and embroidered Hoosier Racing Jacket. They were presented by 2010 defending TPS Champion, Mike Merrell and Race Director David Mackey who noted that the margin of victory was 18 points. In his championship acceptance remarks, Hexsel sincerely thanked his wife, car owner, crew and #20 VW GTI sponsors for their support. He thanked TPS Officials and supporters who played an important part in keeping the organization together.

The 2011 Texas Pro Sedans “Rookie of the Year” was Richard Adams of San Antonio. His award plaque and embroidered Hoosier Racing Jacket was presented by David Mackey. Adams delivered his acceptance remarks to the gathering and thanked those who inspired him to enter the sport of auto racing.

For their 100% race participation during the 2011 season, cash awards were presented to TPS drivers: #20 Sergio Hexsel, #22 “Ozzie” Osburn, #23 J.J. Osburn, #26 Lalo Leal, #29 Johnny Guerra and #70 Mike Merrell. Tory Christopher noted that a car owner and driver didn't personally make the 100% group this season, but he was responsible for at least one car in every event, sometimes two or three and once even five was Mike Knotts who was asked to stand and be recognized.

All former TPS Champions attending the TPS Awards Dinner were recognized. The attending past Champions were: Sergio Hexsel, Mike Merrell and Neil Upchurch.

David Mackey presented a narrative summary recalling the 2011, 36th consecutive TPS racing season. He thanked Dan and Kandy Monroe of CC Speedway for hosting a total of six 2011 TPS races. Dan and Kandy Monroe will receive a TPS Appreciation Certificate for their past years of hosting Texas Pro Sedans races.

Tory Christopher was the keynote speaker at the annual TPS Awards Dinner. He styled his presentation on the “NASCAR Silly Season” and quoted several humorous antidotes. Photo coverage of the TPS Awards Dinner will be posted later by Christopher on www.texasprosedans.com and is posted below on www.LoneStarSpeedZone.com

TPS Driver, Bruce Mabrito delivered his annual cleverly written TPS post season “Ode”. This year, Mabrito concentrated his presentation on reviewing the 2011 TPS season. Mabrito’s speech will be posted on www.texasprosedans.com which web master Charysse Knotts continues to maintain the site on line from Frankfurt Germany. Christopher informed the gathering that Charysse Knotts is recovering in a German Hospital. He also wished Terry Upchurch a speedy recovery of her illness at home.

Several unique TPS Appreciation Awards were presented to Texas Pro Sedans sponsors, race officials and members. Patrick Limerick, owner of Janet's Cakery in Corpus Christi was presented an embroidered Hoosier Racing Jacket. His son Cody will deliver the jacket. Other sponsor recognition went to Johnny Guerra of Guerra’s Lawn Service, Corpus Christi and to TPS Scales Sponsor, George Merrell of Kingsland, TX for his service to the Texas Pro Sedans. Other sponsors receiving recognition were Osburn Racing of Zuehl Field through owner “Ozzy” Osburn and Knotts Racing of Frankfurt, Germany and Universal City, Texas through Mike and Charysse Knotts.

TPS officials receiving recognition were Race Director & Inspector and Technical Inspector – David Mackey and other officials assisting David this past season included Becky Mackey, Sterling Beck, and Charlie White and special recognition to Heather Mackey for her computer assistance to David.

A thank you went out to Andrea Hexsel who was the moving force who coordinated with Little Red Barn management to hold the TPS event for a second year in a row.

Christopher made special recognition remarks to former THR Chief Scorer Kathy Tiemann who attended the TPS Dinner. He noted that Kathy has scored many TPS races at THR, CC Speedway, San Antonio Speedway and Longhorn Speedway and also TIDA Late Model races all over the southwest. Last season she made some professional and life changes. She resigned from Thunderhill Raceway in July and got married in the fall in Las Vegas. The Texas Pro Sedans were pleased to recognize and introduce Kathy Tiemann Wagner and her husband Bruce Wagner. The newlyweds stood and were applauded.

TPS Race Director & Chief Inspector David Mackey presented Neil and Terry Upchurch with a special recognition Service Certificate and cash award for dedicated service and for Neil’s “behind the scenes” work through the years in behalf of TPS. Upchurch delivered brief acceptance remarks with encouragement to all members to continue their participation in TPS race events.

The final portion of the Awards Program was David Mackey's presentation of the scheduled business meeting which included:

Reading of the 2012 tentative eight race schedule at CC Speedway on April 14, May 12, June 9, July 7, July 21, August 4, August 25 and October 6.

A discussion regarding a possible change or not to change the motel contract in Corpus Christi.

Neil Upchurch was asked to return to the lectern and discuss the situation and answer questions regarding several other southwest asphalt tracks.

2012 TPS Rules with a brief discussion of minor changes were discussed. An R&D period of two races was granted to air cooled VW’s to use two single barrel carburetors. Sterling Beck presented an example of a lower cost head and neck restraint devise.

Members were reminded to complete their membership and car number renewals before leaving the dinner.

TPS Race Director & Chief Inspector David Mackey presented his closing remarks and adjourned the 2011 Texas Pro Sedans Series annual Awards Dinner.

What a great group of guys and gals.

I'm sorry to read that Terry Upchurch is not doing well. She's a wonderful, lovely lady. Get well soon, Terry. Sandy and I will be praying for your full recovery.

Nick

Congrats to Sergio, and prayers for Terry. Looking forward to 2012

HEY BOBBY IS THAT THE NEW ORANGE JUICE .. congratz to sergio. .you look sorta drunk there son ....ozzy no question on him he is still hung over from egg nogg and cookies from sliding down chimneys.randy ..dave has a couple of more grey hairs ...

Long Time Pro Sedan Owner/Driver Mike Knotts fills out his 2012 registration. After two years living abroad, Mike was still able to complete the form in English without hesitation!

That is impressive that Mike can do that; but then, signing your name with a capital "X" is universal to many languages and cultures............................

I couldn't decide which car to register. Most expensive steak dinner I have ever had. Over $1500 to attend the banquet. Priceless!

HOPE THE STEAK WAS WORTH THE PRICE....YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO FIND A CHEAPER TAXI CAB ...FUEL BILL IS GOING UP AGAIN ..

Let me see if I have this right.....

Mike gets a $1500 steak and when he gets back to his very sick wife he takes her a McDonalds?

"I am back in Germany. Been to visit Charysse in the hospital a few times. I don't know if she was happier to see me or the McDonalds Happy Meal!"

Let me see if I have this right.....

Mike gets a $1500 steak and when he gets back to his very sick wife he takes her a McDonalds?

"I am back in Germany. Been to visit Charysse in the hospital a few times. I don't know if she was happier to see me or the McDonalds Happy Meal!"

lol.

Archived