Snowball Derby 2011

I want to congratulate Chase Elliott on his Snowball Derby win and a great finish to the race.......What my problem is, is with the piss poor way the race was run from the tower................I would like for someone from Five Flags Speedway to tell me why everytime a caution flag came out it took 9, 10, 11 laps for the race to go back to green. I am talking about a caution for a car that spun and did not hit anything. This happened several times during the race. Another ass 9 thing I saw was the cars would ride at about 40 mph around and around and around for about 10 laps and then they would get a two lap warning to go back to racing. This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen and they do this every year at the Snowball Derby race on Sunday. NASCAR does not even do this. They give a one lap warning and then go back to racing. They must have run 100 caution laps or close to it today by just riding round and round..........Everyone of these laps count. Just about every track that I go to do not count laps after five caution laps are completed. This is to give the fans a good race and their money's worth. But not Five Flags...................There were people all around me where I was sitting that was bitching about this today..........I do not appreciate at all paying 40 bucks to see a 300 lap race and 100 laps or more are run under caution especially when there is no need in it. I don't care if it is the almighty Snowball Derby.............Not a happy fan.

I would have to agree with you that it did take forever to go back to green. Whenever it did though; it was very good racing like always. I'll give Spence the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was still not feeling good. I did love the fact that he parked Wallace for a couple of laps after spinning and stopping on the straight away.

I want to congratulate Chase Elliott on his Snowball Derby win and a great finish to the race.......What my problem is, is with the piss poor way the race was run from the tower................I would like for someone from Five Flags Speedway to tell me why everytime a caution flag came out it took 9, 10, 11 laps for the race to go back to green. I am talking about a caution for a car that spun and did not hit anything. This happened several times during the race. Another ass 9 thing I saw was the cars would ride at about 40 mph around and around and around for about 10 laps and then they would get a two lap warning to go back to racing. This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen and they do this every year at the Snowball Derby race on Sunday. NASCAR does not even do this. They give a one lap warning and then go back to racing. They must have run 100 caution laps or close to it today by just riding round and round..........Everyone of these laps count. Just about every track that I go to do not count laps after five caution laps are completed. This is to give the fans a good race and their money's worth. But not Five Flags...................There were people all around me where I was sitting that was bitching about this today..........I do not appreciate at all paying 40 bucks to see a 300 lap race and 100 laps or more are run under caution especially when there is no need in it. I don't care if it is the almighty Snowball Derby.............Not a happy fan.

The fuel supplier would of liked your idea. They would need fuel more often than tires.

I agree with the excessive caution laps counted as green. I'm not crazy about the 2 tires only rule either. I know they are trying to help out the folks who can't pay for the NASCAR pit crews, but getting everyone back in place after folks pit twice in the same caution can't be easy. I think maybe they are trying to get a little too sophisticated, as with the radar guns on pit road, etc.

New tires sure don't mean as much since they ground the track. Not nearly as much passing, and less strategy in the last 25 laps. I guess there are positives and negatives to that.

Seems like they had a lot less problems in tech. this year, though.

Although there are oppportunities for improvement, I think that the Snowball is run first class all the way. Having over 130 late models of that caliber attests to that.

Danny

PS. Someone has posted several videos from the race on youtube. Check out the one of Thorn's wreck.

Another Snowball in the books - a big thanks to the Bryants and everyone involved (fans and racers) making sure the "super bowl" of racing has continued for 44 years. Our deepest sympathy to Pat on the loss of her Mother. Great seeing all the Texas Teams and Fans at the Derby - I am anxious to read Texas Tom's journal (what a loyal supporter of Texas racing)

We are continuing to pray for those that could not be with us at the Derby this year because of illness

Best wishes to the racing world for a very Merry Christmas and our best wishes for a prosperous and healthy New Year.

#99 Casey Smith Racing Team

The 2011 edition of my Snowball Ramblings is coming Kathy; I just have not had time to write it yet.

We got home about 5AM Monday thanks to all the rain and Louisiana construction, and I did a quick turn to go to work.

I was in no shape to do anything Monday, and I have spent the last two nights trying to show my Mom how to use video components.

I will try to get it up tomorrow. And it was good to see you and the crew again.

Enjoyed the racing, eventful, exciting and worth the drive.

Didnt enjoy spending the time I spent talking to the police after my truck was broken into.

Everything left inside the truck was rummaged thru and what had value was stolen. The majority of it replaceable, some of it can never be replaced. I was told that I was asking for it by not paying for secure parking, and by leaving items in my truck. HOWEVER...even people who didnt leave anything in their vehicle to be stolen got their window busted out.

I only post this as a "heads up" NEVER park your vehicle on the road near the track entrance. Either pay to park, where your car can be watched, park at the fairgrounds and take the shuttle, or call a cab to drop you off and pick you up.

A BIG THANKS to Jocelyn and Logan for standing out in the cold with us while we gave our police report, and for the duct tape and trash bag temp. window that evening. It worked well.

And a BIG THANKS to Chris Davidson & crew for allowing us to store what we had left of our stuff in his hauler on Sunday

Melinda Helton

Archived