Nick's Racing Suspension Seminars at THR, HMP this January

NickHolt

The heated meeting rooms at Thunderhill Raceway and at Houston Motorsports Park will be the settings for this off-season's Nick Holt suspension seminars. And maybe a seminar in December at Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio if things work out.

These seminars are designed to give race teams a good understanding of how a racing suspension actually works.

And we're not talking "trick of the week" stuff here. We dig into the hardcore stuff that winning racers understand - weight transfer, suspension geometry, spring/shock selection and a whole lot more. When you're done with this seminar, you won't need to snoop around to see what the other guy is running. You'll be able to make your own decisions and know why you made those decisions.

Dates for the Thunderhill Raceway seminar

+ January 5, 2012 through February 2, 2012. That's five Thursday evenings in a row from 7 pm to 10 pm.

Dates for Houston Motorsports Park seminar

+ January 10, 2012 through February 7, 2012. That's five Tuesday evenings in a row from 7 pm to 10 pm.

New for this year is a model front end that is completely adjustable in all three directions. This model, originally built by Ted Kerr and later highly modified by James Huff to make the model completely adjustable in all three directions, allows class members to actually make adjustments and see what those different geometry settings do to the wheel/tire. Here's a few pics of the model.

post-3-1321488891.jpg

post-3-1321488901.jpg

+ Learn how weight actually transfers in a car during cornering and how to determine what springs and shocks are needed to handle that weight transfer.

+ Learn how suspension geometry settings work together to produce a car that will get through the turns. That new model front end will clearly illustrate what different settings do to the handling for those of us who are visual learners.

+ Learn about roll centers, motion ratios, jacking effect, roll-couple distribution and other suspension terms that seem confusing at first. Yes, this stuff is a bit difficult, but I don't use big words and I give you a program that does the math for ya!

+ Learn what handling adjustments work in different situations. Several pages of charts are provided that help you decide which adjustments are needed in different situations.

+ Most of all, learn how all the various suspension variables work together as a unified package to produce a front-running car.

This course concentrates on conventional suspension setups typically used in the majority of stock car classes competing in Texas, but we briefly discuss the "Big Bar/soft spring" setups that are popular in some of the “upper” divisions.

And, yes, the principles we teach are applicable for the dirt, although dirt and asphalt setups can be quite different even though the principles being used - the ones we teach in this course - are the same.

Some learning aids I use:

+ Almost 100 pages of class notes that coincide with each class session.

+ A computer program that handles the math needed to compute “ballpark” spring rates.

+ A fully adjustable working model of a front end that helps illustrate some of the suspension geometry settings.

+ Guest speakers - such as Chris Swenson and Chase Stapp in years past - in their specialty areas.

The five-week course costs $300 per person, but if you attend with your crew chief, the crew chief is half price. I require a $100 deposit to hold your seat since I limit the class size to less than 15 folks. It’s a good idea to get your deposit in early since the class usually fills up quickly. I can accept PayPal, checks or cash.

My contact information: nick.lssz@gmail.com; phone (210) 415-1215; or PM me

Nick

I've already been asked for references from folks who have attended the seminars. I don't want to put anyone on the spot, but here are a few of the folks who attended over the past couple of years.

If you know one or more of them, ask them about the seminar. List is in no particular order....

Arden Vikre

Cory Lovell

Kevin Wiseman

Chase Stapp

Aaron Brungot

Terry Tschoerner

James Huff

Mason Mitchell

Heath Stewart

Bo Knowles

David Lewien

Tim Self

Chris Farr

James Cates

Travis Benson

Joey Jenkins

Mark Stevens

Chad Malin

Duane Toyne

Steve Green

Tommy Gural

Chris David

Doug Ayers

Leland Waddell

Mickey McKim

Del Harris

Clint LaFont

L. Cody Smith

Ted Kerr

Levi Krauss

Mitchell Morrison

Nick

I dont know if you will be able to teach anyone using that thing. Most race cars are all beat-up and bent somewhat. That thing is to shinny and straight. Maybe you should let Cory or Robert have it for an afternoon. They can fix it to where most racers can understand it. :lol:

In return for the use of the Meeting Room at THR for the upcoming suspension seminar, I have offered one free seminar spot for Mary Ann to give out to some deserving individual.

Many Ann has decided to hold a drawing for the free spot at the 2012 Registration Meeting being held this Saturday afternoon and evening at the Comfort Suites, 15295 S IH35, Buda, Texas 78610.

Good luck to all who attend!

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Someone brought it to my attention that I had one too many numbers in my phone number in the original post, so I corrected it. The number is 210-415-1251.

Registrations are coming in very slowly this year for some reason. Must be the economy. Smaller classes are great from my perspective since I get to give more individual attention to folks, but I do need a few more folks interested in better understanding the principles of suspension engineering to sign up.

I am attaching another shot of the model front end that I will be using to teach the interactions of the various front end suspension settings. It is fully adjustable in all directions and makes it much easier to demonstrate how changing the suspension settings changes the way the car will handle.

post-3-1323890107.jpg

You are making it difficult to attend having these classes on Thurdays. ;-)

The problem is that this course is covering complex material that many find difficult. I have found over the years that many people "fuzz out" after about 3 class hours. That's because we really get into what really happens during weight transfer, how roll centers and the roll axis interact with the Center of Gravity height, how moment arms really work in producing both lateral and vertical weight transfer and the complexities of suspension geometry in today's modern race cars. In other words, it's stuff that most people have only read about but never understood. Well, we get into all that using words that most of us understand instead of the jargon one usually reads. I work very hard at making it all understandable to those without a math or physics background, but it's still difficult to grasp if you're all fuzzed out.

So... I break it up over six nights a week apart to give folks a chance to digest what we're covering before coming back for the next section that builds on the last section. And if someone is fuzzed out, that next section never sticks in their brain. So I have to split it all up - it's the only way people can grasp all we are trying to teach. And even then, the biggest complaint I get at the end of the course is that the course was not long enough! That's why we have so many folks take the course several times.

Yeah, I know it's tough to get out of the house on weeknight evenings, but I've found that's it's even more difficult on a series of weekend nights.

Anyway, I'm sorry the weeknight deal doesn't work for you.

Nick

That butt weld on the upper ctrl arm should never pass safety inspection!!!

but cool idea - all we had in Jim Jenson's (JJ KitKars) classes were graph paper and rulers... :)

As long as that butt weld doesn't break while my finger is under the lower ball joint, I'm cool with it... LOL

And we still do the time-tested graph paper thing when figuring out static front roll-center heights when the chassis is at ride height. You ought to attend, Mr. Bishop. I bet you'd learn a thing or two.

Nick

...You ought to attend, Mr. Bishop. I bet you'd learn a thing or two.

Nick

I am sure I would - and I have seriously wanted to - but unfortunately jan - march I am working 16hr days 7 a week. It's the time of year where I earn 90% of my annual income - TAX TIME!

I am sure I would - and I have seriously wanted to - but unfortunately jan - march I am working 16hr days 7 a week. It's the time of year where I earn 90% of my annual income - TAX TIME!

well just pay the money and i will go for you ..lol problem solved...oh and throw some gas money in . i live down south ..tax write off for you right ...

well just pay the money and i will go for you ..lol problem solved...oh and throw some gas money in . i live down south ..tax write off for you right ...

Only to be a tax write off it must be business related - until I figure out how to run two business simultaneously with the same "peak demand time" I can't be in a racing business - which is the main reason I am not in a racing business now - my Tax Business is my bread and butter!. Jan Feb March preparation time is the critical time to have a successful racing season. I do still plan on starting a race venture - likely in about 5-10 more years with my current plans.

Breaking it up doesn't bother me, having it on Thursdays doesn't bother me - driving home 100+ miles on Thursday night/Friday morning and "fuzzing out" bothers me! :lol: I hope to make it to one of your classes one day!

I know what you mean. Whenever I teach the seminar in Houston that 225-mile trip home gets a bit fuzzy around 2:00 a.m.

Here's a solution for you though. If you round up 10 or more folks who want to attend the seminar in the Waco area I will do the driving, not you!

Deal?

Nick

Archived