Should Drug testing be part of local racing?

abrungot

Testing is just another cost that would be passed on to the racers. I really dont think it is necessary on the local level. Most everyone knows everyone that is in racing and they can tell. If they cant tell that someone is on drugs then someone else can and people talk. Its real hard to keep something like that a secret very long. We also have a lot of people in racing that deals with "Druggies" on a daily basis and they are trained to notice those things.

Cory

Yes you would need to study. Make sure you have a few straws or dollar bill for the "Coke" test and make sure you have a good "Bong" for the "Pot" part of the test. And plenty of snacks to take care of the "Munchies" part of the test. You will do fine. I just want to be there after the test with a video camera. That would be funny. :lol:

While it is easy to suspect - it is not easy to know who among us is a drug user... a theory which is supported by the development of testing in the first place. Read back through the Jeremy thread - some were expecting a meth head to have bad teeth shallow cheeks sunken eyes - many of the signs of physical neglect seen in street users. It really is not that cut and dry. I have seen it both ways - A good friend of mine is the poster child for ADHD - can't stay on track unless its something that really interests him, can't stand or sit still, changes subject mid sentence etc - but I know he's not a speed user - it would settle him down if he did though! He's been that way all 70 years of his life! And he HAS been tested (and can't even take speed as a prescription) because of his job. They don't let druggies fly 18million dollar Navy jets... and when I was 20ish I knew a well respected lawyer with a major coke habit.

My personal feeling is that yes they should be able to test even at a local level - I have a portable breathalyser (cost 75.00) and test kit (cost 50 plus test fee on any sample if taken) for testing employees - so I could argue that it is not a real expensive deal - until it gets abused by racers accusing each other just as a way to be even MORE competitive. But it is the promoters call and right to choose whether or not to implement testing. If a track is NASCAR sanctioned - they fall under NASCAR rulebooks - which clearly state they (NASCAR) CAN test... but I have never seen it done unless there was real strong suspicion (at the old Mesa Marin track we had a guy that would roll up with his truck full of smoke like a cheech and chong movie).

Mandatory test? Spot testing? I am not sure my opinion matters either way. Drivers have to have a physical to drive a truck - so whats the big deal? I recall drivers had to do a yearly physical at Cajon (insurance rates went down with the track requiring it) - just no screening went with it.

would try a breathalizer before drug testing..

I KNOW A FEW WHO HAVE HAD TO MANY EVEN BEFORE THE RACES ARE OVER ..AND THERE IS NO WAY THEY GOT THAT WAY IN A SHORT TIME ....VERY SHORT ..........BUT THEY ARE GOOD AT HIDING IT AT THE TRACK ................................DRUG TESTING ... .if someone is suspect . then it would be wise for a track to do the test.I THINK ANYONE WHO IS DRIVING STUPID .WILD DRIVING WRECKING OTHERS EVERY NIGHT ..SHOULD BE CHECKED TO MAKE SURE ITS NO TALENT THATS DRIVING THAT CAR ..

ALSO IF A TRACK WANTED TO ..THEY COULD ASK THE POLICE TO BRING A DOG IN AT TIMES .....THAT WOULD PUT THE FEAR INTO ANYONE DUMB ENOUGH ...

Absoulutly. But with a caveat.........I think driver's should be randomly tested before they can take to the track, (they make inexpensive test kits for law enforcemnt and home testing), but a driver should only be banned IF HE IS IMPAIRED AT THE TIME!! Someone who smoked a joint or did a line on Monday is no more dangerous than somebody that drank a 12 pack of beer on Monday. Within 24 hours of raceday is a WHOLE other matter be it drugs OR drinking. You test impaired....see ya.

Would love to hear you expound... given "coming from you" lol...

I spent close to a decade enforcing narcotics laws and later leading a narcotics task force. You won't find anybody with stronger anti-drug feelings than me. But I also understand the complexity of a random drug testing program and the burden it would place on local racing. In my not so humble opinion, to think it could be made to work at the local racing level is a bit of a pipe dream - sounds good in theory, but the burden of it could drive even the most healthy of tracks under.

Who is going to write the policy? Better have a good one.

Who is going to administer the plan?

We live in San Marcos and race in Houston - when is our driver supposed to drive to the contracted facility in Houston to submit a sample?

Forget the cheap "disposable" drug test kits that have been mentioned - if you don't have a recognized/certified lab to administer the testing, I wouldn't put my reputation on the line for it.

When a driver tests positive for a narcotic, who is going to be responsible for contacting his physician to determine if there is a prescribed use for that particular drug, and who is going to maintain that confidential information?

I could go on, but I'll lose any potential reader pretty quick. We have to police ourselves on this. If I have first hand knowledge of a driver racing under the influence of dope or alcohol, I'm confident I can find a way to deal with it and so can our fellow racers.

I have raced with some folks that drove like they had been on drugs or drunk…but stone sober.

I don’t know if I would want to be that track…the track that has to drug test its drivers. Imagine all the wonderful media attention that would get. A track should have a good enough relationship with its drivers for them to be able to communicate these concerns and suspicions….and act upon them accordingly.

Now I know most local tracks rent transponders…how bout those in car gizmos..what do they call them..oh yeah..blow and go!

i have to have one to be in business, check with Texas Department of Labor and Standards, they have facilities all over the state approved for drug testing, every one of us is at risk of anyone being in a car on the track and taking us out by being on drugs or alcohol, do the testing before it happens, it's too late afterwards and it don't hurt anyone to be tested, if someone test possitive, don't let them drive until they can pass the test, NO PASS, NO PLAY RULE, can you see someone going to renew their drivers licence on dope or drunk, truck drivers have to be tested at any time, I personally think this would be good for racing anywhere at any time, if you don't do drugs, you have nothing to worry about and we have a lot of children in our sport that look at us as their local hero's, be a winner, be tested !!!

Archived