Scanner Talk

Is it me, or does it seem that there just is hardly no use in having the required scanner in the car?

It just seems that there is more hand signal communication going on than scanner broadcasts.

In the sportsman class, there are only like 4 teams that have radios (posted in the program) so I really rely on the info that is broadcast via scanner.

Am I the only driver that would like more info coming on the scanner during lineup, yellows and even during the race when an incident happens. Sometimes we get it, more often than not, we don't.

What do you guys think?

ZOOM

I believe that SAS got the scanner idea from Texas Pro Sedans. TPS has required scanner reception of TPS race control by all drivers, at all times on track, for the past three years. The penalty for not having an operating scanner is start at rear of grid.

The direct communication from race control to each driver has proved to be excellent and has helped very much with instant caution calls to all drivers and reallignments during yellows.

The aquisition cost to each TPS driver has been about $60 to $90 for a scanner and a dual ear plug set up. Most drivers already had a scanner for TMS spectator race use or they borrow a scanner for TPS races.

Neil Upchurch

Race Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Neil,

thats good and I really like the scanner being there and I like the idea of it.

All I want is the officials to actually do some talking on the thing.

It is sporadic when they do and disappointing when they don't.

As a SAS Scorer I know for a fact that SAS officials do communicate via radio to the drivers on the track. Steve Jung the other SAS Scorer communicates to the drivers every week from the tower. I personally communicated to the drivers on the radio last week. Drivers are told how many laps they have to go until the start or restart of the race. They are also told at the beginning of the race to go 2 by 2 on the lap prior to green PAST THE FLAGSTAND. Drivers either dont listen or cant hear us because they seem to always line up 2 by 2 BEFORE the flagstand. This is a safety issue because we have officials on the track at that spot. They are also told when the lights go out before the green flag is thrown. They are also told when there is a caution on the track and we try to tell them where on the track cars are sitting. After a caution, line-ups are checked and if someone is in the wrong position they are told either to swap with another car or are told what car to fall behind or in front of. Drivers who are involved in an accident that causes a yellow are told by radio to go to the rear. Drivers should know they automatically go to the rear anyway. As a rule of thumb we do not communicate to drivers during green flag racing as this causes a disctraction to the driver and is a potential safety hazzard. If a driver has been given the black flag and his car number has been posted on the black flag board, which is located underneath the flagstand, if he does not pull into the pits immediately, he is then told by radio he has been black flagged and is no longer being scored (That is usually the only exception to the no radio communication under green flag racing conditions). If a driver does not have a good radio setup, they dont hear us!

Just a bit of factual information from the tower, hope it helps!

I for one had a scanner when I was racing and I didnt hear the officials half the time either, even during caution laps. I did not have a good radio, just got what I could afford. Besides that Im half deaf! :lol: Your best bet is to go with a in helmet radio system, but its extremely expensive. And if you can afford that you might as well get one with multiple channels so you can hear track officials and your crew cheif!

We are not the drivers spotters, we are scoring officials. Turn up the volume, turn down the squelch, get a good earpiece and lets go racing! :P

We tried to use scanners a couple of weeks ago during one of our TOBA races. It was extremely hard for the driver to hear the official. Also, it was hard for the official (during cautions) to be talking on the scanner since he had to be making the final calls on some situations.

• 1 month later...
Guest rocketdog15
;) Tazlady, No offense to you or any of the other officials, but Pat Lane gave us all kinds of information on the scanner all during the race. Such as, caution in turn two go high, number XX you're getting too rough, you guys are doing a good job out there, keep it up, thanks for taking your proper positions quickly, switch places with number XX, and so on. Paul never said anything on the radio, and Steve says very little except on line ups. Maybe in the excitement they were trying to watch who was involved, or missed a button or something and it doesn't come through. I'm not blaming anybody for any wrong doing, or missing anything. You guys have a lot of things that you have to watch and take care of, and you do a pretty darn good job handling it. What i'm getting at is we got used to Pat when he did it, and since then, except for line ups, we were just wasting batteries. By the way, Jean, You did a good job on the scanner the other night, we knew where every caution was at, where to line up, and so on. I don't know about anybody else, but you guys can talk to me anytime on the scanner, it does not distract me.

It doesn't bother me when they talk on the scanner either. I can multitask. I was blessed that way since birth you know. I like lots of info coming on that scanner. I have a good scanner - Nothing is the matter with it at all, it aint a cheapo scanner. I hear everytime someone talks in it. But there are some races where there has been nothing said on it or very little, like yellows out, green this time.

I just want more info about yellows, lineup etc. We have had a few times this year where we rode around on yellow waiting for a guy to get lined up properly. I know everyone is busy, but thanks for thinking about it.

For the past four years, all Texas Pro Sedan drivers have been required by TPS Rules to have an operating scanner on the perscribed official TPS channel, at any time their car is on the track.

The double ear plug type has proven much more efficient than the single ear plug.

(Probably there is a dominate ear condition in humans.)

When Pat Lane was the Competition Director at SAS, he saw TPS, in the SAS race control room, demonstrate the value of communication from Officials to its drivers at a number of TPS races at SAS.

Caution warnings to avoid pile ups, move over ques, much faster realignments on yellows, impound instructions to top finishers were but a few of the gains from having the system.

He liked what he saw so much, he wrote it into SAS rules.

I am pleased that TPS had the opportunity to influence improved race operations at San Antonio Speedway.

For those attending the TPS race at CCMS on September 11, the "Stock Car Spectacular" at THR on September 25 or "Octoberfast" at SAS on October 16, we invite you to bring your scanner and earphones. Tune your scanner to VHF channel 154.570 MHz and listen to a demonstration of race control operations.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Well we try to tell you everything as best we can. Steve used to talk on both radios with the drivers and the officials and with scoring, seeing who is involved, lineups, etc. we dont always get to tell you. There is alot to do there up in the tower. The last month I have been doing the driver radio and I glad that you have noticed (rocketdog15) I am trying to give ya'll more information, but we are human and sometimes its not possible. But hey if you want me to talk on the radio I can tell ya'll a few jokes! LOL

Archived