South Texas Shootout coming Dec 2 &3 at STS

NickHolt

Good racing I saw whenever I wasn't in the bar and lots of hard work going on everywhere I turned. I had fun eating free food and dancing in the Turn 5 Bar on Thursday, and then dancing some more on Friday night. A Texas gal does like her dancing. Is that place open in the off season? I'd like to come back and I think a few would like to see me back there. I'll try to get a sitter for the six little ones and get back down there.

we had fun dancing w you too 5ton ! sorry u had all them kids and didnt get to go see ur favorite drivers 1_7 and 1_9 .i heard they were looking for you! we will see you next season ! keep some tread on that tractor tire.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought there was a lot of good racing and not so good racing. I know Owen had his hands full in putting on this show. However I hope he puts in some more thought to next year if he decides to do it again. I left at 11:45 right when the "A" mains were starting. I knew by the way the racing was earlier it was going to take a while to get it all in. I didn't want to stay that long. There were old people there, people with kids and just some people who didn't want to stay that late. Hopefully next time he will start the activites earlier in the day. Say around 4:00 or so. This way they may get all the racing in before it gets too late. There wasn't enough to food to last the night. I understand that there was probably a lot more people there than anticipated. But it would have been nice to have more food last that when I went down at 9:00 and all that I was told was left were hamburgers and drinks. Also what is up with the problems with some drivers. Two ambulances, two police cars and a fire truck had to show up? It puts a bag flag on their reputation. I do want to personally thank Owen for all he has done for racing here in Corpus Chrisit. You can tell he loves the place and has put a lot of effort in to making it run smoothly. Just some thoughts and opinions. They are entirely my own.

I know Owen values everyone that takes time to come to his events and give an honest opinion. Personally I think they did all they could do to prep the track so it would finish the saturday event out on a good note and the track conditions saturday were perfect. Obviously Friday was tough due to the racing lane being so narrow cant control mother nature. Personally my first wish was after the rewatering a bigger effort would have happened to make the surface fair from top to bottom. Secondly I wish for next year with this much interest and money on the line that some type of police presence was walking around keeping everyone honest to a point! My next wish is that saturdays format not be so darn many races espicially for street stocks, unless you have 80 or so cars like the limiteds did. Heat 8 laps, 18 lap B and finally a big money main of course this was after a full friday night program with heats, b mains, and an a main. I didnt see the need of all the heats. Again I am only talking street stocks unless we are racing for a much larger purse. Then its justified in my opinion. My next wish is when a car spins out or is involved in causing a wreck they go to back. Way to many cars getting their spots back. Lastly a set of generic set of rules that is policed on every car. I think the 4 track rules is great for the street stock shootout but for this event cars come from all over and those rules simply are not policable when cars come from that many areas. For a first event, again this is street stocks I thought it was an awesome event to be a part of and race in. I enjoyed racing from the back but wished I started closer up front. Lots of good people, fast cars and great fans! Too bad a hand full of guys making bad decisions stole some of the spotlite from the winners and track!

I think Owen and his staff did a great job. You can't control all the situations that arise. All you can do is make the best adjustments you can and go on. We had a great time this weekend and enjoyed all the racing. Hope to do it again next year. Congratulations to Steve Jr. and Greg on their wins. Stephens Family

Sat nite was especially rewarding for the frontrunner/sport compact guys that I talked to.We are grateful for the oppourtunity and this promises to be a fun class to race in for next year.As most tracks only allow front drive cars with no mods,Owen has reflected the open mindness used by Niel Upchurch in pro sedans for over 30 years to incorporate all makes and models.New style cars,older cars FWD,RWD,all have the oppourtunity to participate.A new car can be prepared in a weekend AND is allowed minor adjustments to learn chassis tuning that might be helpful in moving to more advanced series cars.

Thank you Owen and all the wonderful people at South Texas Speedway for including us too.

Archived