Dinsmore, Swenson, Votion, Lyon, Okruhlik, Gaither win @ I-37 8/20/11

Back to School/Bike Giveaway Night at I-37 Raceway at Newsome Motor Park, 8/20/11

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx., (Aug. 20th, 2011) With only a few races remaining in the tracks points season, I-37 Raceway was back in action Saturday night. Drivers from all classes looked to pick up valuable points in their quests for the track points championships on the 1/4 mile, semi-banked, dirt track south of Pleasanton. Back to school supplies were handed out to all the kids coming through the gates and during intermission 5 bicycles were given away to several happy youngsters.

All but one title is still up for grabs, with Johnny Torres holding a commanding lead over his competitors in the IMCA Southern Sportmod class. Coming in with a 72 point lead Torres' needs only to finish 8 points ahead of the second place car of Moe VanKirk to defend his title.

In action along with the IMCA Southern Sportmods were the alcohol burning, IMCA Modifieds, Limited Late Models, Street and Pure Stocks, plus the Front Runners. I-37 takes a late summer break for the Labor Day weekend, IMCA Southern Sportmod Nationals(Boyd Raceway) and IMCA Super Nationals(Bone, Iowa). Racing resumes on Sept 17th with the final race of the Street Stock Shootout three track challenge.

Dinsmore gets 'Dialed in' for Super Nationals

Greg Dinsmore(Kerrville) showed the IMCA Modified field nothing but his tail panel as he prepared for the trip to Boone(Iowa) Super Nationals next month. In his usual fashion, Dinsmore quickly made his way up from the back of the field early in the 20-lap event. Taking the low road, Dinsmore got by early leader Joe Spillman on lap 4 and was then chased by points rival Jamie Campbell. Dinsmore opened up his advantage over the last half of the race to pick up the win.

Robert Liese jr and Billy Meyer stayed side by side through turns 1-2 as the IMCA Modified field roared to life. Meyer did a 360 spin in turn 4, with Spillman sneaking past to lead lap 1. Campbell and Dinsmore followed Spillman to second and third when Meyer spun again this time bringing out a yellow. On the restart points contenders, Dinsmore and Campbell were wheel to wheel for second.

Dinsmore cleared Campbell and got along side Spillman on lap 3, grabbing the point on lap 4. Campbell took second from Spillman, while Liese, Jason Borlace, Cody Tidwell and Bill Pittaway battled for fourth. Liese spun from that scrap, but kept going without caution. Meyer had his engine expire and brought out a yellow when he stopped in the pit exit on lap 9.

Once back to green coming to halfway it was Dinsmore, Campbell, Spillman, Tidwell and Borlace in the top five. By lap 15 Dinsmore was edging away from Campbell, with Tidwell closing on Spillman. Coming to the checkers it was Dinsmore by a half straightaway in the racetechinfo.com, Sundowner RV Repair, JBHotshots, Ryan Bard Safety Foundation, Hoffman Construction, Guadalupe Electric, Wells Designs, CenTex Motorsports, Harris Chassis grabbing the win while Tidwell nipped Spillman at the line for third.

“This was kind of a tune up for Boone,” exclaimed Dinsmore. “We set it up to run the bottom like we do at Boone. We run a lot on the bottom up there. The top can be faster, but I seem to have better luck down low. I saw there was a little moisture left down there and made a couple changes to the car. It started to go away at the end, but the car was getting off good. I was real happy with it.”

“I tried the top where Jaime(Campbell) was running, but there wasn't a lot there. It burned off quick. I was happy with my decision to set the car up for the bottom. I never heard him back there so I figured he was way up top, or just not there. With only one points race left I think we've go it. Jamie put up a good fight all year long. If I hadn't decided to run for points this year I think Jamie would have taken it.”

“I've learned lot of what to expect at Boone over the years. There's a lot of fast cars, and good drivers. Hopefully I've gained some respect of the racers up there. It's key to earn respect with those guys. You have to know where they'll be and they have to know where you're going to go. We're going up early so Rocky at John Logues Harris shop can put a 2012 front clip on it and they'll jig the car and make sure it's good to go.”

IMCA Modifieds

8g Greg Dinsmore, 29 Jamie Campbell, 117 Cody Tidwell, 44s Joe Spillman, 37 Bill Pittaway, 21 Jason Borlace, 67 Robert Liese jr, 10k Ellis Tracy, 99 Billy Meyer, 24 Tracy Fink--DNTG

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 24 Tracy Fink, 67 Robert Liese jr, 29 Jamie Campbell, 44s Joe Spillman, 117 Cody Tidwell

Heat 2; 21 Jason Borlace, 37 Bill Pittaway, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 99 Billy Meyer, 10k Ellis Tracy

Swenson Sets Pace in Sportmods

After an early season injury, Chris Swenson is back on track despite only running a handful of races. Tonight he finally completed his comeback. Swenson patiently worked his way towards the front and took over the lead near halfway from Robby Minten. Points contender, Johnny Torres moved into second, but had nothing for Swenson who inched away in the final circuits to grab the victory.

Jason Kelly led the 14-car IMCA Southern Sportmod field into turn 1 but it was Minten with a run up top getting by to lead lap 1, with J. Kelly second and Moe VanKirk side by side with Patrick Kelly for third. A multi-car tangle in turn 1 brought out the yellow on lap 1. Minten held first back under green while VanKirk took third from P. Kelly and Brad Titzman got by Randy Yount for fifth.

VanKirk got by J. Kelly for second on lap 3, but pushed up in turn 4 with Titzman getting by for second. Swenson moved up to third on lap 4 getting by. J. Kelly with Torres tagging along to fourth. It was three wide, two rows deep in the scramble for 6th-12th when VanKirk went around on the front stretch for a lap 7 yellow. As Minten took off on green, Swenson eased by Titzman for second with Torres still hanging on his bumper to third.

Swenson, on the bottom, and Minten were side by for the lead on lap 9 and at the crossed flags it was Swenson, Minten, Torres, Greg Rohmer and Titzman in the top five. Torres was able to get past Minten on lap 11 for second, while Rohmer and Minten battled for third. Swenson was then able to ease from Torres to snag the checkers in the Swenson Race Products, Screen Pro Graphics, A+ Cash, Alamo Bolt & Screw, Marx Racing Engines, Swenson Chassis.

“It was a lot of patience tonight,” said the veteran Swenson. “There's a lot of good cars out there. I found the bottom was working good and took my time picking them off one by one. The car was hooked up good and we didn't have any trouble. I just got to the bottom, settled in and got to the front.”

“This is a brand new car, and we're trying a bunch of new things on it. So we're kind of in the dark, but we hit it right and it paid off tonight. We just have to keep up with the track and keep working on it.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods

48 Chris Swenson, 66 Johnny Torres, 4 Robby Minten, 51 Greg Rohmer, 60 Tom Grothues, 184 Brian Rye, 9 Ray Doyon III, 66y Randy Yount, 18 Larry Jernigan, 58 Moe VanKirk, 84k Patrick Kelly, 56 Brad Titzman, 57 Jason Kelly, 3j Jesse James

IMCA SSM heats

Heat 1; 56 Brad Titzman, 4 Robby Minten, 18 Larry Jernigan, 58 Moe VanKirk, 57 Jason Kelly, 48 Chris Swenson, 3j Jesse James, 60 Tom Grothues

Heat 2; 66y Randy Yount, 84k Patrick Kelly, 66 Johnny Torres, 51 Greg Rohmer, 9 Ray Doyon III, 184 Brian Rye

Votion Finds Victory on Tech Pad

In one of most hotly contested features, Craig Crawley, points leader Trey Votion and defending champion Richard Bartosh all took turns leading the race that started with a myriad of cautions. At the checkers it was Crawley across the line first after changing his line mid-race. Unfortunately for Crawley he failed post race inspection due to porting/polishing, handing the win to Votion on the tech pad.

The proposed 20-lap Limited Late Model feature was cut back to 15 after a slew of yellows slowed the action before two laps were put in the books. Andrew Hesler was the lap 1 leader, but became one of the yellows when he spun and collected Bob Leinweber. This put Crawley out on the point when green flag racing finally resumed.

Bartosh, using the high groove, got by Votion for second on lap 2 and out front on lap 4 before Leinweber went around in turn 4. As green waved again, Bartosh got sideways in turn 4 stacking up the front runners with Votion sneaking past to lead lap 8. Crawley then found the top side to his liking going around Votion on lap 9. Staying on top Crawley inched away for the apparent victory, but failed tech giving Votion the surprise win in the Northside Ford, BG Products, Mission Racing, Kelly Chassis..

“I didn't want to win like this,” commented Votion. “It's not as gratifying winning this way. I hate to see that happen. A win is a win, I guess. We were running good, but Craig(Crawley) had me beat tonight. It was a good night. The car was running good. I just moved up to the top groove too late.”

“I thought the bottom was the place to be. Then Richard(Bartosh) came flying by me and I thought it was time to move up. It was working good at the beginning of the race and I thought it was the place to stay. I just couldn't get to the top quick enough. Once I found the top we running about the same lap times. With two to go I knew unless he messed up I wasn't catching him.”

Limited Late Models

99 Trey Votion, 7 Richard Bartosh,33 Mickey Helms, 58 Matt Hodge, 49 Robert Danielson, 13 Howie Marcx, 1x Andrew Hesler, 14 Gary Hunter, 25 Bob Leinweber, 28 Leland Waddell, 94 Dustin Tillman, 6 Craig Crawley---DQ(Tech)

Limited Late Model heat winners; 58 Matt Hodge, 6 Craig Crawley

Lyon Tames Street Stock Field

Mike Lyon has had a good consistent top five car all season long and picked up one win. Still trying to dial in the former asphalt car, Lyon usually finds himself chasing points chasers Wade Jones and AJ Dancer. Tonight he was in the right place at the right time as Jones and Dancer took each other out battling for the lead. Once out front, Lyon had to hold off class newbie, Frank Okruhlik in the waning laps for the win.

Lyon and AJ Wernette stayed door to door on lap 1, with it four wide for third. Wernette got the nose out front to lead lap 1 with Lyon, Dancer, Dennis Hilla and Jones in pursuit. Dancer got by Lyon for second and took advantage of a slip by Wernette to get the lead on lap 2. Wernette tried to fight back as the two “AJ's” battled for the point and Hilla fought with Lyon for third.

Aaron Leddy went around in tun 4 for a lap 7 caution that saw Shawn Moore spin coming to the restart. Back under green, Lyon and Wernette were side by side for second as Jones got fourth from Hilla. Lyon got by Wernette with Jones coming along in his tracks. Jones then got second from Lyon on lap 9 and ran down Dancer at midway.

Jones got inside Dancer coming off turn 4 and up to the door on the straightaway as they swapped some paint. Dancer inched back farther as they approached turn 1. Neither gave an inch, neither lifted in the high speed game of chicken into turn 1. The two made contact again with Jones clipping an infield tire, jumping it and tagging Dancer. All this as caution flew for a separate spin by Leddy in turn 2.

Both Jones and Dancer were forced to pit. Dancer with a flat left rear and Jones who looked to have knocked the toe out. Each would return but down laps. This left Lyon in the lead with Okruhlik getting by Wernette for second on the restart. Okruhlik, in his second run, gave Lyon everything he could handle the final four laps, by at the checkers it was Lyon in the Car Craft Auto Center, Industrial Brake & Clutch, Woodlake Body Shop, Mission Race Engines, Chevy getting the victory.

“I kind of held back watching those two go at it,” replied Lyon. “They're both pretty fierce competitors. I was just sitting in the cat birds seat. I figured if they wreck each other I'll be in the right spot. That's the way it worked out. I feel for both of them. Unfortunately they both took each other out. But that's part of “rubbin is racin. It's just one of those things that happens.”

“Wade(Jones) is definitely one of the best drivers in our class and he proves it every week. I've been behind chasing him many a night, doing the best I can. Tonight it just happened to fall in our corner”

“I try to keep my car going through the turns as consistent as I can without losing too much horsepower. Once I get the bite I have enough motor to get me down the straightaways. This a former pavement car we bought from California and ran at San Antonio Speedway. We're getting it figured out.”

Street Stocks

40 Mike Lyon, 37w Frank Okruhlik, 2x Dennis Hilla, 44 Danny Preslar, 53 Ben Blanford, 04 Nathan Robbins, 52 AJ Dancer, 41 Wade Jones, 37 AJ Wernette, 93 Aaron Leddy, 18 Shawn Moore

Street Stock heat winners; 2x Dennis Hilla, 41 Wade Jones

Okruhlik Out Front Again in Pure Stocks

Frank Okruhlik admitted he probably didn't have anything for George Reyes who lead from nearly the start of the 20-lapper. With only two laps to go it looked to be Reyes with his initial I-37 Raceway win, until racing fate stepped in. A spin by Ryan Doyon left him sideways in turn 4 where Reyes tagged his disabled car knocking out the radiator. This gave the top spot to Okruhlik who held off former champ, Janel Hilla and Brandy Ramzinski on the green, white, checker finish.

Philip Haywood got into the lead through turns 1-2, trailed by Reyes, Ramzinski and Karoline Campbell. Reyes ducked low and got the top spot on lap 2, while Ramzinski slipped and fell back. Jarrett Payton and Okruhlik made their way into the top five by lap 2. Haywood half spun and fell back leaving Reyes with a big lead on Campbell who gave up second to Okruhlik on lap 5. At halfway Reyes was in command with a gap to Okruhlik who held a margin over Campbell, Payton and Ramzinski.

Okruhlik caught Reyes in traffic, but lost ground as he fought through slower cars. Doyon and Hilla caught the third place battle. Reyes again had an advantage on Okruhlik until Doyon spun on lap 18 and collected the leader. On the restart Okruhlik got away while Hilla and Ramzinski ran side by side for second and Cameron Smith got by Payton. This left Okruhlik in the Odie Racing, Mo's Racing Chassis, Chevy on his own as the checkers waved.

“I probably didn't have anything for the 31 car(Reyes),' admitted Okruhlik. “He was super fast, but rough as well. It looked like he took out a couple cars during the feature, but I didn't have enough for him tonight. Winning like this isn't what I want to do. This is twice in a row now I've won after the leader was involved with a slower car.”

“I've been able to find that if I search around at the beginning of the race that I can find a line that will work. I try to do that in the first two or three laps, then stick with it. I just to do different things during the race and I don't think anyone else tries that. I don't really have a plan to get to the front. Mainly I'm trying to stay ahead of second place in points. I'd like to say securing the championship will be easy, but I'd probably jinx myself.”

Pure Stocks

99 Frank Okruhlik, 7x Janel Hilla, 88 Brandy Ramzinski, 13 Cameron Smith, 9s Jarrett Payton, 10c Karoline Campbell, 14 Trey Heald, 15 William Cavender, 31 George Reyes, 89 Ryan Doyon, 44 James Watson, 44x Charles Earnhardt III, 9 Philip Haywood, 22 Patricia Lucas, 95 Jerry Jones, 94(24) Adam Torres, 43 Eric Watson, 117 Devin Adler

Pure Stock heat winners; 99 Frank Okruhlik, 10c Karoline Campbell, 9s Jarrett Payton

Gaither Grabs Three in a Row

Young Dillon Gaither is nearly perfect since jumping into the ride of Greg Rohmer. Had it not been for a penalty on a restart jump, Gaither would be four for four. Gaither got the lead after misfortune by both the Earnhardt brothers who had swapped the lead between themselves. Once out front Gaither put some distance on Jimmy Carroll as he cruised on to the checkers.

Kirsten Blevins, in a different car after a hard crash last race, jumped to the early lead but was was overtaken by Charles Earnhardt III on lap 2. Brother, Cody Earnhardt got by Charles on lap 3, with three and four wide racing mid-pack. Lady luck then struck both Earnhardt boys. Co. Earnhardt had the transmission give up, while Ch. Earnhardt slowed after his car shut off.

This left Dillon Gaither out front for a restart after Trevor Bettis spun. Gaither and Carroll pulled ahead until Bettis looped it again. Once back to green, Gaither got a huge jump, with Hailee Marcx getting third from Blevins and Ch. Earnhardt made his way back after pitting. Gaither eased away to the victory unchallenged in the Rohmer Racing, Boehle Signs, Oval Components, Tiburon.

Front Runners

9 Dillon Gaither, 67 Jimmy Carroll, 113 Hailee Marcx, 33 Charles Earnhardt III, 96(17) Kirsten Blevins, 66c Cindy Snider, 98E Marie Gonzales, 24 Nicole Wells, 08 Landon Sowder, 57 Trevor Bettis, 33c Cody Earnhardt, 98 Will Holder, 27 Jim Knutson---DNS

Front Runner heat winners; 33 Charles Earnhardt III, 113 Hailee Marcx

Go Karts:

Jr division

11, Caitlyn Leddy

07, Duell Arnold

44 Zack Spillman

93 Cavan Leddy

8g Logan Dinsmore

Sr division

37 Aaron Trevino

i37 Alex Trevino

82 Andrew Garcia

Sure would like to see in the Limited Late Model rules where no porting and polishing is not allowed. Here are the LLM rules on the I 37 website.

HEADS & INTAKE:

1Any 23 degree cast iron cylinder head allowed

2Any aluminum intake allowed 2 or 4 barrel intake allowed

3Only 3/8” gasket matching allowed

4Any CC allowed

5Aluminum heads not allowed

Rule 3 includes the port/polishing to 3/8ths to match ports...

I am not an engine builder or tech..and dont know what you have...I asked same question and this is what I was told...

It is a Wilson County Speedway intake. $ 1000.00 + in the race catalog. Came in the box and bolted it on.

I sure do like racing you you guys. Hope me and the track can come to some kind of agreement.

:o

It is a Wilson County Speedway intake. $ 1000.00 + in the race catalog. Came in the box and bolted it on.

I sure do like racing you you guys. Hope me and the track can come to some kind of agreement.

:o

clarification-#89 pure stock didnt collect anybody especially the leader! the #89 was in 4th place from 14th and had motor problems and spun out. 4 or 5 other cars missed the 89 car and unfortunately the 31 car didnt! he did come apologize to the 89 crew and we returned apologies!

Jones got inside Dancer coming off turn 4 and up to the door on the straightaway as they swapped some paint. Dancer inched back farther as they approached turn 1. Neither gave an inch, neither lifted in the high speed game of chicken into turn 1. The two made contact again with Jones clipping an infield tire, jumping it and tagging Dancer. All this as caution flew for a separate spin by Leddy in turn 2.

I don't know, but I saw different, Dancer knew Wade was there and forced him to hit the tire. He could have given him some room. JMHO!!!

I don't know, but I saw different, Dancer knew Wade was there and forced him to hit the tire. He could have given him some room. JMHO!!!

Everyone will see racing incidents through their own set of prejudices. Some will see it one way if they like one driver (or dislike one driver), while others will see it just the opposite depending on their own set of biases. Reb reports what he sees just like a good reporter should. Will everyone agree with what any reporter reports? Nope. Never happen.

Nick

This one time that Nick and I totally agree...After talking to different people, they all saw different things depending on who they were friends with....

That being said there's enough fault to go around, from my viewpoint(which is better than on the pit fence), on both sides....Which, to me, puts it in the category of a "racin' deal!"

I'm not going to get into a pissing match about who exactly did what or could have done different...I'd just as soon quit writing anything because it seems no matter what I say/see I'm always pissing someone off or people taking my WORDING out of context, and having people piss on a perfectly good results/recaps post.......

None of us what you to give up with your writeups! They are awesome! And we appreciate what you do, I know I do.

I was just giving my 2 cents is all... your right, everyone sees things different.

What's that saying, everyone has an opinon like everyone has a ********. LMAO

Have to say also, that was a great race in the LLM feature... too bad dad's rear end decided to let go on the last lap!

but none the less, good race!

congrats to all the winners saturday night.

the iceman as well. its great to see him back out here again... its always a great race when he racing!

Reb,I know other tracks damn near BEG you to do there tracks...I have seen 1st hand the offers for a room, fuel,etc....If i37 were to not have you, many would regret the comments made...And you and i have seen it different before, but never on a web....THANK YOU!!! REB.....Frank T

The 89 car was at a stop when I the driver of the 31 car came through the dust to find him right there! I tried to stop but couldn't in time and made contact but I claimed full responsibility for it, he was at no fualt! If I had a transponder Mabe it would of been a better out come. I'll have it next time though! Thanks for all you do Reb!

I am sorry you got dqed Craig! I know that your intake isnt what beat us! It was that 34 pound crank! LOL JK JK JK! Please continue to race with us! I really enjoy racing with with you buddy! I promise that if you come back I wont throw no more exhaust pipes out the window at you on the track! HAHA

Reb.... Here is my thoughts on seeing what you want to see.....20 years ago I was racing in a big show...and one of my best friends took me out on the last lap...everyone in my crew saw it that way....the video showed it that way...(and we watched it over and over) then...a few years ago...me and Brenda watched the race....and to both our suprise....it was clear I came down, and caused the wreck...so...its almost never just black and white....that is racing....oh well

This one time that Nick and I totally agree...After talking to different people, they all saw different things depending on who they were friends with....

That being said there's enough fault to go around, from my viewpoint(which is better than on the pit fence), on both sides....Which, to me, puts it in the category of a "racin' deal!"

I'm not going to get into a pissing match about who exactly did what or could have done different...I'd just as soon quit writing anything because it seems no matter what I say/see I'm always pissing someone off or people taking my WORDING out of context, and having people piss on a perfectly good results/recaps post.......

I got a problem with your right ups Rebel. My issue is you have only interviewed me once this year, wth? I guess I should show up with a car to race more often :) .

Thanks Reb, You always "call it ike you see it" and I respect that....

I always notice it's usually the ones that don't race that complain....or the "wanna-be's" that just like to be heard or want attention .. , JMO ;);)

Again thanks Reb...

appreciate you and Nick for the updates

Archived