Joe Maloney’s funeral

Joe Maloney’s funeral service was held Friday morning at the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in San Antonio.

Following are a few notes of interest to those who responded to my August 1st post on Lone Star Speed Zone which announced Joe’s passing:

According to his brother Bill, Joe died of a heart attack alone in his San Antonio apartment. He went to sleep one night and never awakened. After a few days when neighbors became alarmed about him, the Police were called and forced entry.

Joe left a call list, which included me, which he requested to be contacted. Joe’s cremated ashes and a framed photograph were displayed near the alter.

A full Catholic service was rendered by two priests. About 30 family and friends attended. Ten were Joe’s stage hand and theatre worker union brothers from the Majestic Theatre in San Antonio.

I was the sole Texas Pro Sedans representative who attended. I told Bill Maloney about the responses to the announcement posted on the TPS Forum. He thanked me and all responders who were concerned with Joe Maloney’s passing.

At the reception, three photographs which pictured Joe’s #12 and #01 Honda CRX at San Antonio Speedway were displayed along with other memorabilia and his beloved camera. There was also a biography. One paragraph covered Joe's time in TPS racing. He wrote that he gave racing a try, but gave it up when he discovered he didn’t have requisite technical skills and recognized that auto racing should be the domain of younger men.

Posted by,

Neil Upchurch

Founder and Retired Former Driver, Race & Administrative Director, Texas Pro Sedans & TIDA

Archived