What is the top Dirt Track in Texas

SASPEEDRACER24

What is the top dirt track in Texas?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is the top dirt track in Texas?

• Longhorn
    • HOT
    • Rio Grande
    • Many Motor Speedway
    • Houston Raceway Park
    • Abilene
    • Cowtown
    • Devil's Bowl
    • Bellmead
    • Texas Motor Speedway Dirt Track

My favorite has been and will always be Devils bowl. Doesn't matter what is running, it is a great show. World of Outlaws used to be a great show, but for my money, check out their big ASCS shows. ASCS Sprinters have brought more cars to the track that any recent WOO show, about 55 of them at their last big show last fall.

Track doesn't look the same since they took out the back-stretch trees, but it's still FAST. Big plus--moving that damn generator out of the infield. That thing is the size of a redneck's condo and almost as noisy!

When I lived in Fort Worth, I went a few times to Cowtown to see the fights--I mean the races. No 2 week bans for fighting here, just pay your fine and go! Remember a friend's name-Bo Rawdon- seemed to be on that fine board in permanent ink, along with his sister!

I have to say Cowtownon this one cause I have seen mods runnin 3 and 4 wide constantly around the track. Also when the track is just right that is one really fast dirt quarter mile. When we used to run dwarfs there it was awesome, we got a pic at home of our car 6 wide in turn 3 & 4. Also another track I would throw in the mix is 281 speedway and texas thunder speedway those are two really good dirt track racers who really take care of the drivers.

:) I like Devis bowl was practically raised there on Fridays,but I like Lonestar speedway also, but I can't knock Cowtown either. Devils bowl had a real good car count and a timely show,one intermission and 11:30 was a bad night the last time I went there and races started at 8:00 pm back then.I have not seen the races at Kennedale raceway park ,but it looks like a real nice facility. Cowtown for the action on and off the track,the frito pies and hamburgers you could smell cooking behind the grandstands.I liked Lonestar to watch the races and to race on.North Texas Motor speedway is nice also.I have to mention Hill country raceway when it opens,it will put most facilities in south Texas to shame judging by the pictures and what I have seen in person.

You could have come up with some better choices there, and Longhorn is not a dirt track---almost but never happened. Doubt there are many people on here that have been to Louisiana tracks either.

Facility wise---HRP, TMS, and KSP are new modern places, HCR when it opens

Sprint racing--Devils Bowl

There are numerous places that put on good weekly shows, he said tactfully!!! LMAO

Hey Rebel--

Outside of Texas, I really like "door stop"cars (dirt late models) at Boot Hill in Shreveport, La, and in '86, I saw the USAC Silver Crown and the WOO at the Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile in Indianapolis. USAC was hands down the better show. I also saw midgets at Ventura, CA in '94, and that was a great track for them. Another great throwback to the past is Talladega short-track. First dirt show I saw was in '77 in Illinois at a track no longer around.

Hi Rebel--

The track I went to was called "Champaign Motor Speedway" between Champaign and Rantoul, Illinois. It only ran a few years in the 70's, When I went by that same place in 1986, it was a cornfield. I kinda remember I was headed to a show at Santa Fe that year, but it rained out. I think that is where I was going, was it in Hinsdale in the Chicago suburbs?

Yep, you got it. A writer friend from up that way says it's a subdivision now :( Saw , track champ, Tony Izzo run the pacecar off the track there one time during a big late model show. Needless to say he was unhappy over a call. LMAO Also saw a group of about 30 guys come out of the pits onto the track in the middle of race, all throwing punches. Talk about a melee!!

Those were the days,...that was back when Tony Izzo ran the Kiddi-car and John Provizano ran the 7-up car,notice a lot of Italian names,I heard all those real big fancy houses you had to pass to get to the track were big time Chicago maffia people living there.Santa-Fe was a great race track,one of its kind in those days,no other tracks had footbal stadium lights at there track back then.

I have been to the Champaign track,it was 1977 I believe,they had a big race their,my mom and dad rented motor home and off we went,It was cool,when I woke in the morning Engine Joe Merrifield was right next to us.First big race I had been to,Gary Webb was there and all the NDRA guys were there.First race I had seen start 40 some cars in the feature.

Boerne--

We may have been to the same race. I was there on whatever weekend followed the 23rd of September. It was a two day late model show, had about 120 cars. It was colder than a brass jock-strap, especially just getting there from San Antonio.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived