10 inch slicks

NickHolt

2" increased traction = less slipage = less wear = lower cost over time and more fun driving (imo).

I have no problem getting 10" rims on the front of my metric stock clip. You'll probably just use 2" more wheel offset than your current 8" rims. Maybe 1" if your fenders have room. You won't have to change from oem parts on a flat track like THR but a floater rear axle would be desireable at SAS or similar tracks. Lessen the camber gain at the upper a-frame and you'll be pretty close on setup.

To answer your question you would have to do a lot more than just change offsets of the rims. Most of the time you would have to change out the spindles. I believe a company like lefthander sells them to were you would bolt them up. If you dont it will rub and cause the tire to go flat. Thats what happened to McClemore in SA last year.

As one of the few racers who has actually driven a TSRS/THR car with 10’s at THR, SAS and HMP I think I have a little credibility here. I have to say I think going with the 10’s is a bad idea. Don’t get me wrong here, I’d like to run 10’s, they are a blast because you have more tire than car. But, if the goal is to control costs you cannot go with the 10’s, the numbers just don’t work.

First, it’s going to take a little time for everyone adjust their cars. That means shocks, springs and setup testing which for some means spending some money.

Second, after you figure out the setup with the 10’s you will be running increased speeds overall which also means increased speeds into, through and off the corners. All this will put increased stress on suspension components such as ball joints, wheel studs and the like. Again, folks will need to spend money to either beef up these components or replace tired used ones.

Third, with the increased speeds, on track incidents will likely result in more damage and again more cost.

Fourth, the increased speeds will also require guys to rethink their gear selections. Again, for those who don’t have multiple chunks setup with various gears or quick changes this will result in more cost.

And finally, is the obvious, the transition cost for wheels and tires. I’ve got to agree with JP here, 2K is not an unreasonable figure for those starting with nothing. And racerpete has a good point here too regarding the incremental cost increase over the course of the year.

In the final analysis I think the increased overall cost (i.e. total cost of ownership) outweighs the performance advantage. Given this, I say stay on the 8’s

Archived