Street Stock Setup

sell that pretty car for a street car and buy you a race ready car maybe monte carlo or nova it will be easier to find racing parts for chevy hardly anyone will be able to set that car up for track i had cousins that tried 20 years ago never worked and classes wasnt near as competative nor fast good luck

sell that pretty car for a street car and buy you a race ready car maybe monte carlo or nova it will be easier to find racing parts for chevy hardly anyone will be able to set that car up for track i had cousins that tried 20 years ago never worked and classes wasnt near as competative nor fast good luck
I found a car,a roller,not race ready but in due time,I'll get there.

Will be making a few Hot Laps this weekend at Texana Raceway in a 79 Dodge Aspen.They got spectator races.So just for fun see how it does on Dirt.Pretty wild on gravel roads.

how much was you trying toget for it ...cant believe you could not sell it .....looks good outside ..whats wrong with the rest of it .....i know poeple down here who wouldl love to have it ...me lol.. race fans would think your out of your mind making it a racecar that will get beat up .. then again .. maybe you are out of your mind ....we have a monti carlo ill trade for it ..it is built and has ran both asphault and dirt ..is street stock ...the motor needs work ,,but with that trade ,,ill build you a fresh motor ...have a 80.s el camino ill put a cage in it if you want to race something like that ...motor and trans is good .body is good .....

You better check the wheelbase rules, I don't know what the wheelbase is on your car. Does that car have the torsion bars up front? It will be light in the rear already that is why it is wild on gravel.

It can be done, there was some one from Austin that ran Mopars years ago at longhorn, not sure of there name though. At SAS Ward Heinrich ran one for a while some on here might be able to give advice based on that one.

From what I know of Chrysler suspension (not much) the car may not be as far off as one would think. The Aspen chassis was pretty popular as both a circle track car and road racer through the late 70’s and 80’s and the suspension under that dart is not much different. You can tune the front suspension height and spring rate with torsion bar keys, different torsion bars and setting the tension on the bars so the chassis allows for as much adjustment in rate as a coil spring and you will have more adjustment of caster/camber due to the upper mount style. As far as the leaf spring rear it’s not going to be any different then tuning a Camaro rear suspension, just getting the rates and heights right. I will contact some of the old circle track racers I know out of Midland that used to run Chryslers and see if they can be of any help. Check your PMs on the Aspen I have too.

I really hope this turns out. It will be nice (Great) to see something other than a Chevy or Ford on the track.I'd leave it that color too.

you must really be missing the golden days ..60.s 70.s ....you vant to no somethings ...me tooooooooooooo..just hate to see such a rare car get beat up ..

You better check the wheelbase rules, I don't know what the wheelbase is on your car. Does that car have the torsion bars up front? It will be light in the rear already that is why it is wild on gravel.

It can be done, there was some one from Austin that ran Mopars years ago at longhorn, not sure of there name though. At SAS Ward Heinrich ran one for a while some on here might be able to give advice based on that one.

Maybe next years project.

My Aspen got stomped tonight by a think 2010 or 2011 charger at Texana.No traction,most spinning tires and slinging dirt clods. Squirrelly in turns 3/4.Fast down back stretch.But couldn't catch the charger.Anything I could have done except let out some air in rear tires?One guy told me too much horse power.Track was slick.Sooooo everyone and everybody can breath easy now.No Go on 73 Dart as street stock.Won't butcher the car.Got 72 Ply Scam can not hurt it any.So will start on it.

a little "throttle control" would have helped on the take off that new charger has traction control... also looked like as if it was capable of going around the turns alot faster.. sounded good though aside from the stumble.. warming the tires up might have helped on that take off as well..

a little "throttle control" would have helped on the take off that new charger has traction control... also looked like as if it was capable of going around the turns alot faster.. sounded good though aside from the stumble.. warming the tires up might have helped on that take off as well..

Well that was my first time ever on any race track,didn't know one single thing about the track,handling the turns.Not even one practice lap.I took a stomping as well as the car.But next time and next year.In the mean time need to find a home for this car.72 Plymouth Scamp.$200 cash.No title.Bomber/Parts car or a Demo Derby Car.Make me a offer. 361-772-3838.

post-3-1306100276.jpg

post-3-1306100283.jpg

Well that was my first time ever on any race track.All my experience has been on gravel roads and dirt roads.Sure would have helped to been able to do a few practice laps or hot laps to get the feel of the track,how the car reacts,make adjustments on the car and driving.But the management makes the rules,thats the bottom line.One lap and load car back on trailer.Geeee made me loose sleep last night.Anyway I just uploaded 2 photos of a Black 72 Plymouth Scamp One Eye Pirate.Aaaah anyone out there object to bomber/street stock set up on this car now?Can't hurt this car.

this one still doesnt look that bad <_< and yeah i understand.. does kinda suck too haul ur car from halletsville and get one lap.. on the plus side.. it still runs and doesnt have any dents ;).. and i hope you get something put together.. i run a street stock my self.. but i dont know crap about dodge set up..we could surely use more cars and dont want any one to get discouraged..

My Aspen got stomped tonight by a think 2010 or 2011 charger at Texana.No traction,most spinning tires and slinging dirt clods. Squirrelly in turns 3/4.Fast down back stretch.

I was in the infield when y'all started. You were on the inside where it was still slimey and the cars hadn't been running there. You just couldn't get any traction. I could tell the car had some pull down the back straight. Noticed you really slowed coming into the turns early though. Of course, you really can't compare the spectator race to what you will have a car set up for in real racing action. Liked seeing the car, and it did sound good. Back when I was a teenager in the early 80's the had spectator races at our tracks and I talked the Texana owner into starting them up about 4 years ago. Back in the day, I saw a 69 camaro in restoration stage, beautiful body and primered, get squirely heading into 3, and backed the passenger rear quarter into a nice size tractor tire. I personally love the spectator races and wish the announcer would do a little more on pumping it up over the course of the night. Good luck on your Mopar street stock project. From the Dodge's I've owned, i think a 318 would be a perfect match most nights on a dry slick track. Plenty of power, but not too much....... And man, don't use the lime green car... too pretty. If you have to pick, use the black one.... Side note, we'll help you all we can. We are not the best, but have made some notes along the way as we got started. I would highly recommend buying the Steve Smith "Building a Street Stock" book. Costs around $30, and we found it to be worth its weight in gold in our early days. Also, when you built the car, get it weighed on 4 wheel scales. If you don't have 'em, lots of us do. That is pretty much a must anymore to have a good handling car.. Again, good luck.

My Aspen got stomped tonight by a think 2010 or 2011 charger at Texana.No traction,most spinning tires and slinging dirt clods. Squirrelly in turns 3/4.Fast down back stretch.

I was in the infield when y'all started. You were on the inside where it was still slimey and the cars hadn't been running there. You just couldn't get any traction. I could tell the car had some pull down the back straight. Noticed you really slowed coming into the turns early though. Of course, you really can't compare the spectator race to what you will have a car set up for in real racing action. Liked seeing the car, and it did sound good. Back when I was a teenager in the early 80's the had spectator races at our tracks and I talked the Texana owner into starting them up about 4 years ago. Back in the day, I saw a 69 camaro in restoration stage, beautiful body and primered, get squirely heading into 3, and backed the passenger rear quarter into a nice size tractor tire. I personally love the spectator races and wish the announcer would do a little more on pumping it up over the course of the night. Good luck on your Mopar street stock project. From the Dodge's I've owned, i think a 318 would be a perfect match most nights on a dry slick track. Plenty of power, but not too much....... And man, don't use the lime green car... too pretty. If you have to pick, use the black one.... Side note, we'll help you all we can. We are not the best, but have made some notes along the way as we got started. I would highly recommend buying the Steve Smith "Building a Street Stock" book. Costs around $30, and we found it to be worth its weight in gold in our early days. Also, when you built the car, get it weighed on 4 wheel scales. If you don't have 'em, lots of us do. That is pretty much a must anymore to have a good handling car.. Again, good luck.

Actually I wasn't even ready to race the Aspen.It needs some work done on it.I can use all the tech set up skills and know how you guys are willing to share.

That was Ron Kinney in a dodge at Speed-o-rama in the early 80's and that car was fast.

That was Ron Kinney in a dodge at Speed-o-rama in the early 80's and that car was fast.

Well thanks for the info.

how much was you trying toget for it ...cant believe you could not sell it .....looks good outside ..whats wrong with the rest of it .....i know poeple down here who wouldl love to have it ...me lol.. race fans would think your out of your mind making it a racecar that will get beat up .. then again .. maybe you are out of your mind ....we have a monti carlo ill trade for it ..it is built and has ran both asphault and dirt ..is street stock ...the motor needs work ,,but with that trade ,,ill build you a fresh motor ...have a 80.s el camino ill put a cage in it if you want to race something like that ...motor and trans is good .body is good .....

That sounds pretty good so ill keep it in mind just in case it will be my only option.Really would love to race before I go back to sea but may have to wait till next time.If I could ever hit the lotto I would give up going to sea.Stay home raise Brahma cows and race cars.Build my own tracks out here.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived