Jim Knudtson says inch of rain at I-37 "Perfect"

tqj3

Jim Knudtson says the one inch or so of rain at I-37 Raceway yesterday was just about the perfect amount and the track should be good to go on Saturday. Good news for the fans and drivers, as the track isn't racing on either May 21 or May 28, returning to action on June 4. We'll see you all Saturday night. And remember, there is always a breeze at I-37.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wa

Jim Knudtson says the one inch or so of rain at I-37 Raceway yesterday was just about the perfect amount and the track should be good to go on Saturday. Good news for the fans and drivers, as the track isn't racing on either May 21 or May 28, returning to action on June 4. We'll see you all Saturday night. And remember, there is always a breeze at I-37.

I'll see yall there, looking forward to seeing some old friends.

Joe

Joe, are you bringing a car, cooler, or both? I hope you're racing, but watch out for Bigfoot!

Two cars a go cart and a nine year old...no cooler though I got to drive home and zach has a little more work before he can pull a fifty foot trailer...

Can anyone say West Texas dust storm. I guess when it rains, you don't have to water the track. <_<:lol:

nope nor do you have time to work it. The rain brought the sand to the surface. Damn good job by all drivers in all classes. Very few cautions under difficult driving conditions. I liked it puts a lot of attention of driver performance instead of matting the throttle.

You obviously were'nt sitting in the stands. The dust was so thick you could barely see the back straight and the wind was blowing directly back onto the stands. The track had 3 days which is enough time to disc, water and role. Water from rain does not soak far enough in unless you work it in. That track was dry slick after the EcoStocks and was black slick (taking rubber) after the pure stocks.

I agree the drivers did a great job. Especially the pure stocks, sport mods and limited lates, but that still doesn't negate the fact that the track was crap (especially from a fan's point of view).

If I were the promoter I wouldn't count on mother nature to prep my track next time.

I am absolutely certain that the track management is aware that not everyone was happy with the dust. Let's move on to something a bit more constructive than poking at the track for the dust.

Thanks.

Nick

I can pretty much assure you..that they didnt just let mother nature prepare the track...and would be willing to bet you that unless you have ran a track before you would be amazed at the amount of work that it takes to prepare a track.....and...how much harder it is when mother nature "helps out"

as for the dust...I have been to dirt tracks for well over 20 years....I DID sit in the stands...seemed like a normal saturday night to me....nothing like the dust bowls in west texas (LMS) or mcallen when I have raced there...trust me....we all were so covered in dirt you couldnt tell who was who.....lol

The track can not control what direction the wind blows from. 95 % of the time the wind is from the south and the fans do not eat dirt or dust. I also heard the there may have been some equipment failure while the track was preparing the track.

All that being said, I - 37 Speedway has given us a very good track and facility to race at. I have been to many dirt tracks around the USA and have seen dry slick, single groove races from Eldora to Bellville. It happens.

The track can not control what direction the wind blows from. 95 % of the time the wind is from the south and the fans do not eat dirt or dust. I also heard the there may have been some equipment failure while the track was preparing the track.

All that being said, I - 37 Speedway has given us a very good track and facility to race at. I have been to many dirt tracks around the USA and have seen dry slick, single groove races from Eldora to Bellville. It happens.

Agree

Great job I37! Yea it was a different track then normal but that is a cool challange to face! It really brings out the driver in you driving on a different track surface every now and then! I just didnt set the car up right for it but it helped me learn something new! See yall in a few weeks!

The funny thing is if the owners water the track then you get a bunch of complaints about the heats during too wet and the features being to fast and hard on motors.both my cars ran cooler last night I didn't get hurt, just wish I had a little more for the mod...

Nick says I can't post any more about the dust, so I want to take you all back down memory lane.

Does anyone remember how Larry Louden used to prep SOS. As soon as the races were over he put the blade on it to unseal the surface, then starting Wed he disc'd, watered and sheeps footed it, then disc'd, watered and sheeps footed and over and over until the water was well down in the dirt. When he was sure the water was far enough down (which was usually Sat afternoon), then he would blade it, sometimes water the surface and blade it again, then only the big tired cars would pack first before the mods and other small tired cars were allowed on it.

Most the time that track went from tacky in the heats to black slick or black tacky in the feature. It rarely ever went to dusty or sandy (in fact I can't ever remember it doing that) and would pump water thru out the nite.

I hear over and over again "dry slick is just South TX racing". Prepping a track is an art and if you've got enough pride and the right equipment, it doesn't have to be.

jmo

Ok, here is how I will try and turn this into a contstructive thread: As a fan, will the track conditions last night keep you from going back to I-37? What about you drivers? I've heard both sides of the coin over the past few races so. Now that we have seen it just about every way it could go; is the track prep a hanging point in your decision to race at I-37?

hray, if only every dirt track in America would go through that process for track prep.

Ok, here is how I will try and turn this into a contstructive thread: As a fan, will the track conditions last night keep you from going back to I-37? What about you drivers? I've heard both sides of the coin over the past few races so. Now that we have seen it just about every way it could go; is the track prep a hanging point in your decision to race at I-37?

hray, if only every dirt track in America would go through that process for track prep.

I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH THE TRACK CONDITIONS MAYBE IT WAS A LOT OF DUST AND THE HOLES JEE IDK AND A INCH OF RAIN SHOULDNT HAVE EVEN BOTHERED IT :o AND ALSO THE WAY THE TRACK ALLOWS SOMEONE TO DESTROY A RACECAR AND WAS LAP TRAFFIC HE TOOK OUT THE LEADER AND DIDNT EVEN GET BLACK FLAGGED AT LEAST THEY GOT THE FOOL WHO ATTEMPTED TO TAKE ME OUT IN THE STREET STOCK HEAT RACE AMAZING WHAT SOME PEPES WILL DO TO WIN A RACE :angry::blink::huh: THEY WERE TRYING UP TILL ABOUT A MONTH AGO I HAVE SOME INSIDE AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON IT WILL ALL COME OUT SOON :ph34r:

Any body have a video of the mod race , so we can see if their was any dirty driving going on , videos don't lie. I didn't get to see the race,but heard what happen.

You've just been spoiled by all that pavement racing....LOL

A little dirt in your beer is good for you...adds fiber to your diet....LMAO

I'll bring a set of goggles next time you come.....just let me know....

Jay,

My grandma always said you gotta eat a peck a dirt before you die. Problem is I'm too close - I don't want to push it. :lol:

I'll just make sure the wind is out of the South next time I come.

Jamie,

I wish they did too!

Archived