TI – coilover eliminator on front suspension.

jracer98

I don't know if what they had on the car was legal or not but racing is not just about driving it's about building the better car. I think real racers, and we know Heil is a real racer, will always try to build the best car they can even in the grey areas. It's not necessarily cheating even if it's considered illegal.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if what they had on the car was legal or not but racing is not just about driving it's about building the better car. I think real racers, and we know Heil is a real racer, will always try to build the best car they can even in the grey areas. It's not necessarily cheating even if it's considered illegal.

INOVATIVE COMES TO MIND ..

i think this poor horse is turning to mush...john and i have had our words in the past and im not too sure he cares for me that much (atleast his wife doesn't), but i gotta stand up on this lopsided discussion. The parts they had on the car were not really performance enhancing. They are made for convenience and ability to change springs faster. It would be different if they were caught with traction control or somethin. Jake would probably be goin the same speed with conventional spring buckets. If Jack decided it was illegal that's his choice and we all need to respect it and it should be over with.

On another note since some were talkin about rules with crate motors and big motors. Can anyone recall in 2008 who set the track record at thr with a time fast enough to win most of the races each year since?

Here is some hints...

Driver was John heil

car was #15 wd racing

motor was 2 barrel

time was 15.23 (correct me if a little off on the time i know it was a low 15.2)

tires still Goodyear

i am pretty sure some suspension tricks have been developed since then so in my unprofessional opinion i think a 2 barrel will go a little faster than that. Again correct me if Im wrong...

One more thing i believe that afternoon was beginning of summer and pretty toasty so even faster if early spring or fall.

I met Hal Shuster in 1984. He consistantly ran in the back - but not for lack of trying. He had invested over 100K in his Jim Janson Kit Car (one of the first jigged straight rail builders in so Cal) with a boat load of money in the motor. The motor was a cantankerous and very touchy hard to tune beast with a lot of "exotic" parts. He was actually making it harder than he had to. I yanked the motor put in a 10:1 355 with some clean flowing Brownfields (BF was later bought out by AFR) and used parts with a 4412 - the year before it became the only carb allowed.

After dialing in the car he ran well into the middle of the pack - but tended to drive too hard (not smooth at all). We were scheduled for some coaching at Bob Bondurants when Hal passed away - but I KNOW we could have easily ran up front. Total cost to move him from the back to the middle was less than 500 bucks.

Tire rules, carb rules etc I can relate to - these ARE cost cutters for every one. But outlawing ingenuity like cutting and welding suspension points, swapping stock parts from another car etc are just plain silly.

When Bruce Crower developed a sbc cyl head in the mid 80 that was cheaper than new stock castings and flowed 10-15% more across the board, he was promptly informed by not just one but EVERY sanctioning body he reached out to that it would be outlawed- as folks can't just go buy a new head so only the wealthy would benefit. Bull crap. Every car I ever worked on had more old handme down stuff than I care to admit. Rules changes outlawed very good parts that could have seen many years more use! I have seen more well funded teams slide back from trying new stuff that did not work as hypothesised than I have underfunded teams held back by parts alone.

I know the promoter has a tough job. But there has to be a middle ground in there somewhere that allows racers to be what we are - thinkers and modifiers.

Archived