TPS recap and results at THR, 6/19/04

Donnie Moore wins TPS Race at Thunder Hill Raceway

Kyle, Texas -- The Texas Pro Sedans touring series returned to Thunder Hill Raceway on Saturday night,

June 19th. It was their third TPS appearance of the season at the 3/8 mile THR track. The Texas Pro Sedans 20 Lap Feature Race winner was Donnie Moore of Hutto, Texas. The Qualifying Heat Races were won by Moore and Sergio Hexsel of San Antonio. Both drove VW Scirocco race cars. A field of 16 Texas Pro Sedans was present for the race.

The race will be dedicated to the late Bob Thomas of Austin. He died May 19. Thomas was the Crew Chief and was instrumental in four time Champion Bucky Hutchison of Austin winning the Texas Pro Sedan titles.

The San Antonio based Texas Pro Sedans touring series is conducting their 29th consecutive year of four cylinder stock car racing in Texas during 2004. The Thunder Hill Raceway event was the fifth race of the 2004 TPS season.

The next scheduled Texas Pro Sedans race is scheduled for Saturday night, June 26 at San Antonio Speedway.

Official TPS results

Position, Car #, Name, Hometown, Make, Displacement, Heat Finish, Laps Completed

1 70 DONNIE MOORE Hutto VW Scirocco 1710 1 20

2 27 BILL LaBARGE Bryan BMW 2083 6 20

3 26 LALO LEAL Corpus Christi Ford Mustang 2338 2 20

4 33 JAMIE GARNER San Antonio 2001 VW Sedan 1780 3 20

5 48 MIKE KNOTTS Universal City VW Scirocco 1648 2 19

6 66 r ARIEL ARREDONDO Corpus Christi Ford Probe 2338 3 19

7 18 r LANNY YOUNG Kingsland VW Rabbit 1461 5 19

8 72 CANDY HOGAN Cedar Park VW Sedan 1915 4 19

9 54 GREG WOOD San Antonio VW Rabbit 1648 5 19

10 29 r RICO GUITERREZ Corpus Christi Ford Mustang 2338 6 18

11 71m BRUCE MABRITO San Antonio VW Scirocco 1588 7 18

12 88 NELLIE KELLEY Corpus Christi Ford Mustang 2338 8 18

13 0 r JASON CAMPBELL Adkins Chev PU S-10 2560 7 15

14 34 r SHANE HILL/Austin,TX SHANE HILL Austin Ford Mustang 2338 4 7

15 20 SERGIO HEXSEL San Antonio VW Scirocco 2041 1 0

16 1 r BRYCE DISHMAN Devine Ford Mustang 2300 dns dns

Margin of Feature Race Victory 3.76 sec.

Feature Race Leader: car # 70 led laps 1 - 20

r - eligible for 2004 TPS "Rookie Of The Year" Award

Note: TPS car #1 received disqualification from THR for 96 db rule violation (100db).

Lalo wasn't 3.76 seconds behind Moore. The results are clearly written in english and show LaBarge finished in second place.

Steven Carpenter, FYI - In professional auto racing, "Margin of Victory" refers to the space (in time) between first and second place. Third place does not enter into this official statistic.

Also FYI - all of the first three cars, Moore/VW Scirocco, LaBarge/BMW and Leal/Ford Mustang were equipped with the exact same carburetor - a Holley/Webber DGAS 38mmx38mm.

No restrictor plates were installed on any car in the TPS Feature Race starting field.

Steven - Have you even bothered to read 2004 TPS Rules as I suggested to you last week? It is quite evident from your many postings on TSZ that the only thing that has a restrictor plate is your brain.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

neil i know what margin or victory is all i was saying is you was very sucessfull in slowing lalo's car down , and yea your right he didnt have a restictor plate cause he was running a 350 not a 500 if he would of ran a 500 he would of had a restrictor , but the fords was trying to pull together so he was running dishman's carb and neil if you have a problem with me talk to me dont go gripping to lalo . i have my own opions i think the class should go back to being called " tida " for texas import drivers ass cause u really dont want any american cars running in the class if you did you wouldnt pentalize them so much so i hear bill came from the back of the pack to finish 2 wow thats a fast car . neil this isnt a new fight this has been going on for years this is why you keep losing the ford drivers cause everytime one starts winning you slow them down but let a bmw win and its we cannt slow him down you people just need to run faster

steven carpenter

STEVEN CARPENTER

Your last post is uninformed, unintelligent, biased in favor of Fords, without merit and just plain dumb.

It is probably clear to any reader that you have found a place to "show off" on TSZ.

I will not read any of your future posts. I will not waste any more of my time with you.

So long Steven.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

well people i guess ive been told huh the great neil has spoken he needs to talk to the drivers cause i have been talking to some of them and i have been sitting around watching the races . so does anyone know why my last post was not true dishman was lola running your carb . or is what i hear not true . ( NEIL STOP READING THIS )nick do you have a list of winners this year , i wanna see if lalo is the only ford to have won this year . well people have fun and enjoy racing its a fun sport

steven carpenter

crt racing

Dude Crt give it a rest, I am tired of reading your whining and crying of this person and that person getting and advantage. Give these guys the benefit of the doubt that they did their homework and figured out how to make a car fast. Maybe if you spent as much time in your shop working on your car as you do crying on here you could be just as fast.

OK PEOPLE IM BACKING OFF

well seems some things may happen now in the right direction dont get me wrong i have always liked the pro sedans and i know neil does a good job ,( most of the times ) but i heard some changes are going to take place . so i'll back off till i see what those changes are . my buddy called me and was telling me some things he asked if i would back off of neil i told him i would till i see what happens im still upset with [edited out by Nick Holt, 6/21/04] labarge .

steven carpenter

cRt racing

p.s donnie if it comes to you and labarge you better win it

cRt racing,

nick do you have a list of winners this year

All 2004 TPS results are posted in the Press Release and Results section here at TSZ. I do not keep a list of winners for any series. I have enough to do.

Nick Holt

cRt,

I have stayed pretty much out of this until now, but it's time you face some facts.

1) Lalo was not competitive with LaBarge or any of the professionaly built Ford products last year, the year before or at any other time since he has been running TPS. This is no way a reflection on Lalo because I think he has done a whale of a job with the chassis he obtained from you (which you openly stated was inferior to the other professionally built Mustangs that compete in TPS).

2) There is absolutely no way TPS should make special rules for individual teams who don't have good equipment, experience, money or skill to run with the front runners. No one, no matter how likable, should be given a special set of rules that don't apply to the others running the same basic configuration. Neil does not make special rules for teams that don't have the resources to compete at the highest level. I applaud him for that.

3) TPS allowed Lalo a special "research and development" 4-race period so TPS could evaluate his "SVO "Esslinger head as compared to the so-called "ARCA" Esslinger head. This R & D period has been completed and Neil is about to announce the results of that study and issue any rules adjustments that may, or may not, result.

4) TPS never has and, hopefully, never will allow pressure from people who take it upon themselves to lobby for a particular team to influence decisions. If you think that you have any influence whatsoever over the decisions that Neil Upchurch will or will not make, then you just plain don't know who Neil Upchurch is.

5) It is indeed time for you to back off. You may not appreciate this, but I have worked very hard to make TSZ a place where track owners, promoters and series directors feel comfortable posting. Show me another racing forum where ALL the local owners, promoters and directors post on a regular basis. As far as I'm concerned you pushed your lobbying efforts way to far and I will be monitoring your future posts closely.

Nick Holt, Moderator

Texas Speed Zone

THERE IS NO WAY I CAN KEEP UP WITH THE TOP FIVE CARS, WITH A SMALLER CARB., & I UNDERSTAND THE RULES. THAT IS WHY I AM GOING TO RUN A 350 CARB IN S.A.; IN STEAD OF THE 500 WHICH I RAN FOR THE FIRST FOUR RACES & RAN VERY COMPETITIVELY. I WON ONE RACE AND LOST THE OTHER THREE, NOT FOR NOT TRYING; BUT THE OTHER CARS (THAT NIGHT) WERE BETER. WHEN YOU HAVE A CAR COME FROM LAST TO SECOND IN A CLASS THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE SOMEWHAT EVEN, SOMETHING IS WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN MY CAR WAS HANDLING GREAT.

Lalo,

WHEN YOU HAVE A CAR COME FROM LAST TO SECOND IN A CLASS THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE SOMEWHAT EVEN, SOMETHING IS WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN MY CAR WAS HANDLING GREAT.

Or, something is very right with the BMW that came from last to 2nd.

I couldn't have been happier for you and your team when you won in CC. I know how hard you have worked on that car and I know how hard it is to get everything working together perfectly in any race car whether it was professionally built or backyard built.

IMHO you have to consider that Bill LaBarge is a multi-time TPS champion has taken every TPS rule and maximized the potential of that BMW. Could that be a key reason why he does so well?

Nick Holt

nick you can edit me all you want but most of the ford drivers are calling me telling me what a great job im doing and just to imform you there was never a ford that ran competative against the top runners in pro sedans until the alum head came out so it isnt just my chasis that in your eyes is not as good but we have proved that its the motor that isnt letting the fords run up front not the chasis leroy farmer had a tubular chasis randy had a pinto chasis and lalo has a mustang chasis but the restrictor plate is to much restriction tps tells lalo he needs to have 55% laft side weight he is at like 55.6% have u people seen my driver only way to get less left side weight on that car is to put him on a diet he is suposed to weigh 2443 the car weight 2572 so we are suposed to add more weight on the right side just to meet this rule then restrict the carb down do they want us to hook a chain up and pull around a wrecker too

crt

lets see how much of this gets edited my ford buddies called me to tell me they were editing me

Earlier I stated that I did not keep a winner's list, but you can imagine that Neil Upchurch does. Neil sent me the following information that might help.

Race Date/Track/Race Winner/Hometown/Car/cc/Margin/Car Count (Remarks)

2001 (12 races):

April 14/Thunder Hill Raceway/Bill LaBarge/Bryan/Honda CRX/1645/3.0sec/19

April 28/Thunder Hill Raceway/Bucky Hutchinson/Austin/VW Scirocco/1628/1.6sec/20

May 12/San Antonio Speedway/Stephen Edmondson/Joshua/Toyota Corrola/1960/2.8sec/15

May 26/Thunder Hill Raceway/Bucky Hutchinson/Austin/VW Scirocco/1628/3.0 sec/17

June 9/San Antonio Speedway/Bucky Hutchinson/Austin/VW Scirocco/1628/.68sec/20

June 16/Thunder Hill Raceway/Bucky Hutchinson/Austin/VW Scirocco/1628/2.7sec/17

July 7/Thunder Hill Raceway/Bucky Hutchinson/Austin/VW Scirocco/1870/.75sec/15

July 21/San Antonio Speedway/Leroy Farmer/San Antonio/Ford Mustang/2338/8.0sec/21 (without restrictor plate)

July 28/Thunder Hill Raceway/Mike Knotts/Universal City/VW Scirocco/1860/2.0sec/16

Aug 18/Thunder Hill Raceway/Stephen Edmondson/Joshua/Toyota Corrola/1960/.50sec/17

Sept 15/Thunder Hill Raceway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/2.0sec/18 (without restrictor plate)

Oct 13/San Antonio Speedway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/2.5 sec/23 (without restrictor plate)

2002 (14 races):

March 30/Thunder Hill Raceway/Leroy Farmer/San Antonio/Ford Mustang/2338/2.0sec/18 (without restrictor plate)

April 13 San Antonio Speedway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/0.5sec/17 (without restrictor plate)

May 11/San Antonio Speedway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/1.2sec/19 (without restrictor plate)

May 25/Thunder Hill Raceway/Randy Lee/ Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/3.0/sec/14 (without restrictor plate)

June 8/Thunder Hill Raceway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/1.5sec/15 (without restrictor plate)

June 15/San Antonio Speedway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/0.5/sec/21 (without restrictor plate)

July 13/San Antonio Speedway/Leroy Farmer/San Antonio/Ford Mustang/2238/0.5/sec/19 (without restrictor plate)

July 27/Thunder Hill Raceway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/0.3/sec/17 (without restrictor plate)

August 3/San Antonio Speedway/Randy Lee/ Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/1.19sec/16 (without restrictor plate)

August 17/San Antonio Speedway/Leroy Farmer/ San Antonio/Ford Mustang/2338/1.23sec/18 (without restrictor plate)

August 24/Thunder Hill Raceway/Leroy Farmer/San Antonio/Ford Mustang/2338/8.0sec/13 (without restrictor plate)

Sept 14/Thunder Hill Raceway/Donnie Moore/Hutto/VW Scirocco/1873/0.4sec/18

Oct 12/San Antonio Speedway/Steve Foster/Adkins/Ford Mustang/2338/na/24 (without restrictor plate)

Nov 23/Thunder Hill Raceway/Sergio Hexsel/San Antonio/VW Scirocco/1984/1.10sec/19 {non-points race}

2003 (12 races):

April 5/Thunder Hill Raceway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/0.50sec/12 (with restrictor plate)

April 26/San Antonio Speedway/Jack Dishman/Devine/Ford Mustang/2338/0.68sec/17 (with restrictor plate)

May 3/Thunder Hill Raceway/Bill LaBarge/Bryan/BMW/2083/5.00sec/12

May 17/Thunder Hill Raceway/Randy Lee/ Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/4.00sec/11 (with restrictor plate)

May 31/San Antonio Speedway/Bill LaBarge/Bryan/BMW/2083/1.04sec/12

June 21/Houston Motor Speedway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/4.40sec/14 (with restrictor plate)

July 12/Thunder Hill Raceway/Bill LaBarge/Bryan/BMW/2083/1.50/sec/16

July 19/San Antonio Speedway/Jack Dishman/Devine/Ford Mustang/2338/1.70sec/11 (with restrictor plate)

August 2/Thunder Hill Raceway/Randy Lee/ Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/3.90sec/15 (with restrictor plate)

August 23/Thunder Hill Raceway/Jack Dishman/Devine/Ford Mustang/2338/0.44sec/13 (with restrictor plate)

Sept 6/Thunder Hill Raceway/Randy Lee/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338/3.00sec/18 (with restrictor plate)

Oct 18/San Antonio Speedway/Jack Dishman/Devine/Ford Mustang/2338/0.22sec/22 (with restrictor plate)

2004 (5 races):

April 17/Thunder Hill Raceway/Bill LaBarge/Bryan/BMW/2083/0.50sec/17

May 8/Thunder Hill Raceway/Donnie Moore/Hutto/VW Scirocco/1710/1.75sec/17

May 29/C.C. Motor Speedway/Lalo Leal/Corpus Christi/Ford Mustang/2338//0.75sec/17 (without restrictor plate)

June 5/San Antonio Speedway/Donnie Moore/Hutto/VW Scirocco/1710/1.06sec/16

June 19/Thunder Hill Raceway/Donnie Moore/Hutto/VW Scirocco/1710/3.76sec/16

BOX SCORE – BY CAR MAKES IN LAST 43 TPS RACES:

FORD without Restrictor Plate - 16 wins

FORD with Restrictor Plate - 9 wins

VW Scirocco- 11 wins

BMW- 4 wins

TOYOTA- 2 wins

HONDA – 1 win

CRT,

I dont keep up much with the series, however, I am a fan of racing. The way I see it everyone knows the rules from the start of the season or the season prior. What that tells me is that you decide on which set of rules you want to run. I am in a series similar to that of the TPS that has different sets of rules. I choose which sets of rules that I want to run in. Therefore I must say that it is the only one persons fault that decides on which sets of rules to run with. Instead of trying to change the rules mid season why dont try your best to optimize the car that you have, ie: practice and try different set-ups. I can remember as a kid watching the cars race at Austin Speed a Rama. There was a Mini Cooper that just blistered the field. I can also remember a guy by the name of Wayne Deckard race a Ford Pinto and come from last to win in a race in Corpus. This same driver also won at Altus, Ok. This series has just as much to do with experience as it does with the rules. With that being said, do you even know what Donnie Moore does for a living? If you dont Ill tell you, he sets up race cars and is very good at it. He also builds cars and is an excellent fabricator. If you dont believe me ask some of the people that he does work for.

top dog,

I am only posting what Mr. Upchurch asked me to post for him. However, I am certain that all the 2004 results are posted in the Press Release and Results section here on Texas Speed Zone. And upon closer inspection, I see where he did include the 2004 results in his listing.

Frankly, Lalo, this year's rules are partly based on the proven performance from the past and it looks like the Esslinger equiped Fords pretty much dominated the immediate past.

Nick Holt

cRt,

lets see how much of this gets edited my ford buddies called me to tell me they were editing me

You buddies are flat out wrong. If I edit someone I clearly identify where I have edited.

Frankly, cRt, you are making issues where there are none. This forum is for everyone to express their opinions about racing issues. I do not edit or delete posts that express opinions that are different than my own. I do edit bashes, bad language, rude comments, etc., however.

Nick Holt

nick or neil was donnie moore racing in 2002 and 2003 im being told that in those years donnie wasnt running and bill had just built his bmw so he was still tinkering with it and was running mostly under r and d if thats the case its no wonder the mustangs was in control

cRt

Archived